Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
cultural boycott of Israel
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

debonair-doctrinaire
debonair-doctrinaire
40 posts

cultural boycott of Israel

With the announcement of LŠtitia Sadier's concert in Tel Aviv, Israel I am reminded of the general call by civil organizations and certain governments to boycott Israel. The calls come as a reaction against Israel's aggression and policies against the Palestinian people.

Wikipedia on the matter, in particular the partial list of artists who have recognized the boycott: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycotts_of_Israel

What do folks think; should Ms. Sadier cancel her scheduled performance in solidarity with this global campaign?

Jul 21, 2011, 07:48


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

debonair-doctrinaire wrote:
With the announcement of LŠtitia Sadier's concert in Tel Aviv, Israel I am reminded of the general call by civil organizations and certain governments to boycott Israel. The calls come as a reaction against Israel's aggression and policies against the Palestinian people.

Wikipedia on the matter, in particular the partial list of artists who have recognized the boycott: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycotts_of_Israel

What do folks think; should Ms. Sadier cancel her scheduled performance in solidarity with this global campaign?


Hadn't spotted this. I've posted on her Facebook wall and asked her to reconsider. Maybe those of you with Facebook who are in favour of the boycott against the outrages of the Israeli government could do likewise.

Jul 21, 2011, 09:46


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vega
vega
492 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

An alternative view - a history lesson:





Jul 21, 2011, 13:17


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vega
vega
492 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

Harold Bissonette wrote:
debonair-doctrinaire wrote:
With the announcement of LŠtitia Sadier's concert in Tel Aviv, Israel I am reminded of the general call by civil organizations and certain governments to boycott Israel. The calls come as a reaction against Israel's aggression and policies against the Palestinian people.

Wikipedia on the matter, in particular the partial list of artists who have recognized the boycott: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycotts_of_Israel

What do folks think; should Ms. Sadier cancel her scheduled performance in solidarity with this global campaign?


Hadn't spotted this. I've posted on her Facebook wall and asked her to reconsider. Maybe those of you with Facebook who are in favour of the boycott against the outrages of the Israeli government could do likewise.



Should we also ask Ms Sadier to reconsider playing in such countries as the USA and Britain whose governments have also committed "outrages" (Iraq)?

Jul 21, 2011, 15:04


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

I don't see the point in a 'cultural' boycott. Laetitia by performing in a certain country is not endorsing that nations government policies.

Why not call for Laetitia to boycott the U.S? I'm sure a case can be made for that - as a start - Rose My Rocket Brain!

Jul 21, 2011, 15:10


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

vega wrote:



Should we also ask Ms Sadier to reconsider playing in such countries as the USA and Britain whose governments have also committed "outrages" (Iraq)?


or the USA for dumping poison on poor farmers in Columbia.

Jul 21, 2011, 15:20


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

vega wrote:
An alternative view - a history lesson:





Geert Wilders is a right-wing bigot who was taken to court in Holland for his inflamatory anti-Muslim ideas. Quite frankly I've several better things to do than spend half an hour of my life listening to him.

The point is that the Israeli government is enforcing a virtual apartheid policy, treating Palestinians and its own Arab-speaking population as second class citizens, denying them the right to proper education, work, health care and turning a blind eye to the theft of their land and property.

The cultural boycott, like the one that eventually proved so successful in South Africa is letting the Israel and the rest of the world that its behaviour is being observed and that it is intolerable. This in no way excuses the intolerance and atrocities of surrounding Arab countries - or anywhere else in the world.

Jul 21, 2011, 15:33


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mathieu
mathieu
176 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

Please, don't post this. this guy is a nationalist fanatic. No place for him in this forum.

Jul 21, 2011, 15:37


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

Harold Bissonette wrote:
This in no way excuses the intolerance and atrocities of surrounding Arab countries - or anywhere else in the world.


So what countries is Laetitia allowed to perform in?

Jul 21, 2011, 15:45


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: cultural boycott of Israel

matthew6 wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
This in no way excuses the intolerance and atrocities of surrounding Arab countries - or anywhere else in the world.


So what countries is Laetitia allowed to perform in?


Agreed many (most?) countries are committing crimes against humanity. In this particular case, Israel is commiting humanitarian crimes based on race/religion. The cultural boycott is a way of alerting the Israeli government that the world is watching and the world cannot tolerate this behaviour. It worked in South Africa and it can be made to work here.

The US government is undoubtably behind many intolerable actions and these can and should be protested against wherever and whenever appropriate, but at present it has a relatively progressive leadership that is hopefully prepared to listen to these protests and deal with the issues. I've less faith in the present UK government, who have conned their way into power and have already been behind some atrocious legislation...

Jul 21, 2011, 15:56

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index