Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
thoughts on Cobra
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Re: thoughts on Cobra

Accusations of too long, too much meandering filler and useless experimentation, should have been trimmed down to a nice 40 minute disc, track 11 Blue Milk was described as 'tedious as a slug on valium' etc. etc.... screw the 'just don't get it' critics and feel the creativity.

Stereolab on this album bunged it all in, and with the inspired encouragement of Messrs McEntire and O'Rourke - let it all hang out. Laetitia commented some time after wishing they had done a better job in mixing the album. I disagree. After the manicured Dots and Loops the electronics are messier, the arrangements always staying the right side of fussy over-production... no mean feat given the sophistication of the music. Ba-ba-baas and typical Stereolab melodies are all present and correct: Cobra's quirkiness, oddness and weirdity all sit nicely just below the surface. The overall effect: gorgeous, trippy, warm, unique, psychedelic, beautiful, emotional and heartfelt.

Late to the party Cobra was my first Stereolab purchase: discovering this music in 1999 was like a breath of fresh air. Songs in 7/8 with vibes, old keyboards and pretty ladies singing in French. Seeing them live for the first time shortly afterwards and noting such an eclectic and diversified audience... I was hooked. It could be argued the groop peaked with Cobra and Phases: 'creative dead end's' were reached, what came afterward's were shinier rehashes of what had already been done etc. Cobra is my quintessential Lab album, I love it to bits.

Aug 27, 2011, 11:02

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

microbehunter wrote:
Accusations of too long, too much meandering filler and useless experimentation, should have been trimmed down to a nice 40 minute disc, track 11 Blue Milk was described as 'tedious as a slug on valium' etc. etc.... screw the 'just don't get it' critics and feel the creativity.

Stereolab on this album bunged it all in, and with the inspired encouragement of Messrs McEntire and O'Rourke - let it all hang out. Laetitia commented some time after wishing they had done a better job in mixing the album. I disagree. After the manicured Dots and Loops the electronics are messier, the arrangements always staying the right side of fussy over-production... no mean feat given the sophistication of the music. Ba-ba-baas and typical Stereolab melodies are all present and correct: Cobra's quirkiness, oddness and weirdity all sit nicely just below the surface. The overall effect: gorgeous, trippy, warm, unique, psychedelic, beautiful, emotional and heartfelt.

Late to the party Cobra was my first Stereolab purchase: discovering this music in 1999 was like a breath of fresh air. Songs in 7/8 with vibes, old keyboards and pretty ladies singing in French. Seeing them live for the first time shortly afterwards and noting such an eclectic and diversified audience... I was hooked. It could be argued the groop peaked with Cobra and Phases: 'creative dead end's' were reached, what came afterward's were shinier rehashes of what had already been done etc. Cobra is my quintessential Lab album, I love it to bits.

Yeah!

People Do It All The Time was the first dance when I got married a few months ago. 'Nuff said.

Aug 27, 2011, 11:19

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Hmmm, it was more of a suggestion I would think. No? ;-)

Maybe it was a suggestion or rhetorical question, but it's still false. Yes? :)

Aug 27, 2011, 16:49

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Such great descriptions! I love Cobra too, I think I'll listen to it today. I wrote a "love letter" to cobra long ago, maybe I'll dig it out of the gs vault out of curiosity.

Aug 27, 2011, 16:52

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Haha, going back to the first page of the gs in 2005, discussion sure got heated about Cobra, especially Blue Milk.

Aug 27, 2011, 17:06

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2779 posts

Blue Milk is one of those Stereolab songs that can be annoying if you're not in the mood for it, but gorgeous if you're in the right place/frame of mind.

Aug 27, 2011, 17:20

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
Blue Milk is one of those Stereolab songs that can be annoying if you're not in the mood for it, but gorgeous if you're in the right place/frame of mind.

I'm a big fan of it personally, although some of it is down to the good memories and associations it holds for me.

Aug 27, 2011, 17:58

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

musicforeels wrote:

Can't think of many records from 1999 that were that hot.

That's an odd description for Cobra...

Aug 27, 2011, 18:06

MY RETURN
1963 posts

It's a good album but talked about way more entirely than its worth.

Aug 27, 2011, 19:32

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

I seem to remember the NME, UK music paper, giving it a whopping 0 out of 10 on its release, with accusations revolving around the 'pretentious jazz wank' theme. This irritated me a lot, but the review said more about the NME than the album.

It's stunning - 'Kaleidoscopic Gaze' and 'bLUE mILK' are an interesting pair -the first works brilliantly, the second doesn't do much for me. I love Kaleidoscopic Gaze for its range of emotional resonance and always skip Blue Milk as it seems one of the few instances that the groop oversteps into self-indulgence.

Come and Play... is just gorgeously fragile and dramatic, I believe that it was, melodically, the summit of their achievements and although the albums afterwards contain some beautiful tunes, none were ever executed quite as perfectly as that track.

Aug 27, 2011, 20:16

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index