Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
thoughts on Cobra
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Re: thoughts on Cobra

Babylon01 wrote:
I seem to remember the NME, UK music paper, giving it a whopping 0 out of 10 on its release, with accusations revolving around the 'pretentious jazz wank' theme. This irritated me a lot, but the review said more about the NME than the album.

hahahaha

That NME "review" in all it's glory.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/artistKeyname/1392

If memory serves: the same reviewer was frothing at the mouth with the brilliance of Oasis's craptastic opus Be Here Now.

Aug 27, 2011, 20:33

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Nobody has mentioned Infinity Girl yet. Definitely a top 5 'Lab moment for me. Gorgeous.

Like all the truly great albums it has it's outstanding moments and it's more esoteric passages.

Highlights for me are too numerous, really, to say. There are no skips for me at all, suffice to say.

Like all my favourite albums the *sound* was the initial attraction and is the enduring quality. The lyrics and melodies are secondary for me. Fuses just leaps out the speakers and grabs you, and you are gripped until the end. What a trip, man!

Aug 27, 2011, 20:38

nsc283b
405 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:
I've still never enjoyed "Blue Milk". I think it probably would have worked much better on an EP, where it could have taken precedence instead of feeling so much like a rude interruption.

I think Blue Milk is an excellent track, but it seem that you either love it or hate it. I agree though, that it does seem a little out of place on Cobra. Too good to be hidden away on an EP, but difficult to know which album it should have appeared on. Maybe then, an EP of its own followed by an appearance on a Switched On volume. It may have fitted into Aluminum Tunes quite nicely.

Aug 27, 2011, 20:39

Chees0
Chees0
37 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Hmmm, it was more of a suggestion I would think. No? ;-)

I am obviously still a dickhead and probably I will always be. I am sorry.

Aug 27, 2011, 23:18

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

The incohesiveness that you read about in the album reviews actually works for Cobra, whereas it doesn't for Microbes. I think Sterelab is reaching and exploring in these two albums in the process of getting from Dots to Sound-Dust. If one has not listened to Cobra for a while it is very refreshing in a way. It is honest and clean sounding. All of us here on this "island" obviously have much in common but this album is the one of the albums that perhaps brings out our differences as far as Sterelab music is concerned. Emergency Kisses is the best song and Come Play In The Milky Night close behind. Fuses is wonderful with the jazz nuke. Actually, I like Op Hop Detonation the best. Man, what a cool little groove.

Aug 28, 2011, 02:55

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

xperceptor wrote:
All of us here on this "island" obviously have much in common but this album is the one of the albums that perhaps brings out our differences as far as Sterelab music is concerned.

I think most people on here like it. Excepting Blue Milk with mixed reviews. A small minority dislike the album on here, from all I've read.

As far as the musical tastes on this board, I find them to be quite diverse. Some people go off in really different directions. As far as Stereolab goes, the biggest differences I see are in the early lab vs. later lab tastes. And then again the most recent 2 or 3 albums bring out some different tastes.

Aug 28, 2011, 03:39

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

I have more on Cobra but I can't stoP me from asking who the scrumptious lOOking woman is in your avatar. Charlotte or Delores?

Aug 28, 2011, 03:51

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

No love for Free Design?

The best arranged song on the album in my opinion.

The groovy video rules too.

Aug 28, 2011, 04:32

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Negativity. Busta

The people who hate this album hate air. It's the same usual culprits who nothing better going on than to be pissheads. As for Busta, I like both versions equally. It HELPS the band not hurt them.

Aug 28, 2011, 05:16

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Forgive this long ramble, I'm a bit buzzed and told myself I would listen to this today. I can't say anything better than microbehunter's description though. I never can choose a favorite so am compelled to write blow by blow commentary.

Highlights: horns, vibes, Mary's harmonies.

I love Fuses burping ambiguously along with Laetitia smoothing it all out.

People All the Time brings it back to familiar territory with authority, and the obligatory bubbling and ba ba bas.

I just want to dance to The Free Design. Combining the Brazilian rhythm with the jazzy melody, it feels cohesive with Fuses, and has some nice climactic touches.

Blips, Drips, and Strips, it's just FUN. Well I can understand people outside the lab's world not really understanding that song. It might almost sound silly, but I think Mary's playfulness, the big variety of sections, vibes, etc etc, make it epic. Certainly hear some Philip Glass influence there. Their best vibes ever.

The spacy Italian Shoes Continuum might sound a bit avant garde, though not to us of course, as it's all familiar yet new in a delightful way. So breezy and hummy, then crashes unexpectedly to a more insistent groove.

Infinity Girl is so driving and happy, how could you not sing along? It sort of seems like the middle of some other lab song. Maybe it's too perfect pop, which makes it seem almost imperfect here.

Spiracles has that slow rhythmic keyboard sound I'm not too fond of, and that they revisited so often on CC. When I can listen past it, it's ascending melody is delightful.

Op Hop Detonation is a great mixture of the synth sounds mixed with Tim's funky strumming, jazz melodies, and Mary's part is great.

Puncture starts out sounding like it's already full of suspense, then the melody just drifts along beautifully mixed with horns. Quite euphoric. Then carnival sounds, then Philip Glass again... how can you not like the variety in that song? It's exciting.

I kind of feel like this album should be some kind of soundtrack or opera. Velvet Water is such a contrast. Starting out all abstract texture, then Laetitia sounding like a French chanteuse, with a not terribly successful melody, excepting of course Mary's contribution making it interesting.

I skipped Blue Milk this time as I'm on a roll. :P

Caleidoscopic Gaze could be Stereolab's musical saw cabaret number. Think of all the musicians on this album, some amazing talent trying to be cohesive. Must have been a blast to make this album.

Strobo Acceleration is exactly like the name. Strobe lights, peppy, contrasted with sexy horns. And the melody is uplifting.

Emergency Kisses.. I get a little tired by the time of this one, so I think I don't give it enough of a listen usually. It may be one of the more well crafted songs really. Sounds like Sean's.

Come and Play is probably one of my all time favorite lab tunes. It lopes along the American western landscape and strikes a deep chord with me.

Aug 28, 2011, 06:22

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index