Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
thoughts on Cobra
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Re: thoughts on Cobra

xperceptor wrote:
I have more on Cobra but I can't stoP me from asking who the scrumptious lOOking woman is in your avatar. Charlotte or Delores?

It is Jane Birkin struttin' her stuff down the sidewalks of Paris.

I finally got to see Jane live a couple of year's back at one of those Meltdown thingy's. A set entirely comprising inventive re-working's of Serge songs. And very good she was: that fragile voice carrying the tunes with grace and emotion. Apart from a brief dalliance with Juliette Binoche (another heart-throb) at some French film festival, Ms Birkin is the most graceful woman I have had the pleasure of sharing a couple of hours with.

Aug 28, 2011, 09:46

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
... "if you judge it by the standards of rock'n'roll then it fails"
... it's not rock, for its "ethos is completely different".

I like this.

I've never really thought of Stereolab as a rock n roll band. In my view, rock is strictly the art form of a repressed society: the manic energy, exaggerated sexuality and over-the-top freakishness that define it act as a sort of catharsis that allows us (the audience) to let go of our inhibitions for a while and fantasize about acting out against the daily restraints of our modern society.

Jimi Hendrix creating a god-awful racket while pantomiming sex acts on his guitar, lighting it on fire, and smashing it to bits: ROCK N ROLL.

George Clinton wearing a ridiculous wig and 12" platforms while babbling about how he's come from outer space to blow your mind and make dirty love to your earhole: ROCK N ROLL.

Devo spazzing out and intentionally butchering the established standards of rock n roll: ROCK N ROLL.

Stereolab's careful blend of obscure cultural references, interesting noises, and occasional political commentary set to catchy pop melodies: not so much of a rock n roll vibe, really.

I'm not quite sure what my point is, but I guess real rock n roll is always aligned in opposition to something else - whereas the lab are more like a bunch of friendly record collectors who just want to sing the praises of all the wonderful things they've discovered.

Aug 28, 2011, 10:29

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Negativity. Busta

MY RETURN wrote:
The people who hate this album hate air.

How do you manage to say the stupidest things all the time?

Aug 28, 2011, 16:15

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Cheeso wrote:

How do you manage to always be a bore? Your clone is right. Maybe if you weren't a dick people would actually like you. Now piss off.

Aug 28, 2011, 20:31

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Can't help but paraphrase Prog Britannia (this time Rick Wakeman) again:

"So, about Cobra, what do you think? It's overblown, pretentious, completely over the top and thoroughly pompous, what do you say to that? And I say, yeah about right really!"

Aug 29, 2011, 12:52

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

MY RETURN wrote:
Cheeso wrote:

How do you manage to always be a bore? Your clone is right. Maybe if you weren't a dick people would actually like you. Now piss off.

No, dimwit, if you weren't such a boring, illiterate, asshole of a troll, who was banned and snuck back in to the forum, people wouldn't hate you, dumbshit...

Aug 29, 2011, 16:00

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Watched Britannia again recently, brilliant.

Have you seen: Rock Family Trees - Prog Rock Years ?
Equally as good, plenty of funnies from Rick and the gang.

Aug 29, 2011, 22:28

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
MY RETURN wrote:
Cheeso wrote:

No, dimwit, if you weren't such a boring, illiterate, asshole of a troll, who was banned and snuck back in to the forum, people wouldn't hate you, dumbshit...

*feeds polly a cracker* If you're so bright let's see what you come up with. Scoreboard. G2g

Aug 29, 2011, 22:30

blythewords
36 posts

i say stupider things. i think you all agree.

am i headed east?

Aug 29, 2011, 22:32

hito
hito
1745 posts

As for me...

I find any talk of removing Blue Milk from this album bizarre. If you don't like albums, well you might omit all sorts of things.

But if you like albums, this is an album. Like Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Peppers, it is an album. I listened to this album when it was released. It was made to be listened to as a whole. I had many occasions where I sat around with friends and listened to the whole album. It sounds brown and like night time. It takes the listener on a journey.

Anyway, Blue Milk is an awesome song. Probably top ten for Stereolab. I have put it on mixed tapes. But it works best on the album. And this album is amazing. Thanks to so many contributors (cyberpainter, meanchico, deadlyfingers) for nailing it with their brilliant descriptions and engaging posts.

You know, I had been thinking that MAQ has been my favourite lately (Anamorphose is top ten for me too) but cuddling up to Cobra on the headphones has reminded me why exactly it has generally been my favourite since its release way back when.

Aug 30, 2011, 12:20

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index