Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
thoughts on Cobra
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: thoughts on Cobra

GaryB2 wrote:

Do rhetorical questions still get question-marks? Is there a method to punctuate rhetorically?

Yes. No.

To clarify, the rhetorical question is still one that invokes a response that is generally supposed to be one of agreement with the speaker. The danger of asking one is that people who have nothing but hatred throbbing in their veins, nothing positive to say, never start useful threads, are lacking all social awareness and are outside of your target audience, may disagree with your contention and answer the opposite to what you expect.

Generally I am in favour of people being pulled up on contentious rhetorical questions but when it is the same person spewing forth negativity, the person who cannot drop the fact that he feels wronged by someone who was banned years ago, the person who has three opinions: 1) I hate member X, 2) I hate the beatles, 3) I hate Cobra, the person whose last umpteen contributions have been to attack somebody who has posted interesting threads and ideas, the same person who makes snide remarks then backs down when confronted with his own inability to argue logically only to bring up his mud later on, then I have no interest in it.

I think you need to be careful asking a Christian "who could believe in god?" and a homophobe "why don't gay people deserve the same rights as you?". Similarly, you have to be careful asking some people why they wouldn't like Cobra.

As it was, it was not a rhetorical question. To me the question mark was simply a way of indicating an uncertainty in the statement. Funny how punctuation works sometimes...

Aug 30, 2011, 12:35

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Well, I'm quite sure actually that many Lab fans recognize the art of album making, but not all albums are created equal: some people who think Dots is the flawless album will inevitably think Cobra's got way too much fat in comparison. I think ETK is the best album statement from the band, especially considering that the Groop actually has practiced shelving several worthy compositions to the non-album status.

Aug 30, 2011, 14:10

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

And would anyone consider Not Music as an album meant for listening as a whole? Surely, the remixes sound more like padding, considering that without them, there's less than 40 minutes worth of material, which, notwithstanding my own personal preferences for 40-50 minute album length, is even by Lab's standards a bit lacking, considering it's merely half of their longest single CD full of original material ever.

Aug 30, 2011, 14:16

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Which brings up why on earth they called it Not Music, which I think I'll make a thread about. :)

Aug 30, 2011, 17:10

hito
hito
1745 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Well, I'm quite sure actually that many Lab fans recognize the art of album making...

I am sure that they do so I am not trying to teach people to suck eggs. It just seems weird to like albums then talk of removing this critical bridge. The album is what it is. It's like me saying Lady Gaga should create more Stereolabesque songs. She is popular for doing what she does. I don't like her but that is because I don't like that genre. If someone came to me and said, I like catchy jingles and a lady thrusting her sexuality in my face, I would recommend Lady Gaga, not Stereolab, despite my preference for the latter. In my view (and it is just my view), if you don't like Blue Milk then you don't like the album (as an album).

PS: I agree that Not Music is not an album. I would also say it is not that great a collection of songs.

Aug 30, 2011, 20:44

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

You know, obviously I agree that when someone says this and that song on the album is a throwaway at best stinker at worst, then there's obviously quite a divergence from the artist's viewpoint that hey, this is how I imagine a good album to be. But if only the band is thinking that this album is 100% pure gold, then isn't it a bit dangerous, a hint of lacking quality control?

I would also say that the art of album making is very difficult. You don't have to please everyone, but if ETK or Dots is deemed as a flawless album whereas Cobra is mostly deemed to be an overblown overkill with fat needing to be trimmed, then why is that? Okay, so many people don't then like Cobra as an album, but isn't it then an argument for the album's limited appeal? Stereolab's already a cult band at best and if one of their album appeals mostly to an audience even smaller, then isn't it what the underrated album really means: an album that's got limited appeal and can only be appreciated by those more clever/intellectual/avant-gardist than most others?

Aug 30, 2011, 22:41

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Thanks to this discussion, I've listened to Blue Milk a number of times, and enjoyed it more and more with every listen. However, I still think it would be better off on its own, leading off an EP or single, where it could define its own space and insist on being appreciated on its own terms.

I feel like listening to this tune in the middle of the album is sort of like stumbling across a Rothko painting in the middle of an eclectic art gallery. In a brightly lit room, surrounded by busy figurative paintings, Rothko looks like crap. His canvases just appear to be these meaningless empty expanses of color. However, in the proper context with careful lighting and a complete focus on his work, the effect is absolutely sublime. There just aren't any words to describe it.

Aug 31, 2011, 03:39

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

Cobra's songs are catchy and beautifully arranged. It might sound experimental to some but it is not to me. They are my ideal 'pop songs'.

There are also some strong linkages between D&L and Cobra, at least to my own perception. That makes it even more puzzling to me when some one can praise D&L to the heaven but shit on Cobra like it is nothing.

Aug 31, 2011, 06:08

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

I like this :

The Stereolab organisation were obviously keen students of classic album "dynamics". The golden rule of the double is to finish side 2 with a cracker (Velvet Water) before one enter's the second half or, as correctly mentioned elsewhere - the album "bridge" (Blue Milk).

Velvet Water: features a memorably pouting Mary vocal and those totally lyseric vocoder voice effects. Underneath this we have an absolute firestorm of a rhythm track. Bass pushing, pulling and provoking... the drummer is on a tight leash and is having none of it. That urgent vibraphone figure jumping all over proceedings but there is no way in - the groove is too damn tight. Just when I think I'm gonna scream with the tension of it all, release comes with Jim O'Rourke's absolutely brilliant string arrangement. A musical highlight on this album or any other for that matter.

Blue Milk: Ahhhh - 'The Centrepiece'. To the casual listener nothing much appears to be happening. A deeper listen reveals a great deal of very small activity as different cycles of notes weave in and out with each other. What we in the trade refer "deliberate playing with timelessness" that actually promotes attention to time. There are wheels within wheels, pulses within pulses, as one cycle of notes concludes only to start again. Persistent non-believer's may find a puff or two of marijuana helpful before listening to this track. :)

Aug 31, 2011, 09:52

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Eh, you've got the track titles a bit wrong I'm afraid, what you describe as "Velvet Water" is apparently "Puncture in the Radax Permutation". You could be forgiven though, for it takes quite a bit of verbal memory to even have the ability to recall most Stereolab song titles.

Aug 31, 2011, 10:35

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index