Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
thoughts on Cobra
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Re: thoughts on Cobra

Ooooops... red face: sits at the back of the class with dunce hat on.

Ask's for forgiveness given advancing years, deteriorating hearing and not yet had breakfast.

Aug 31, 2011, 10:53

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Now wait a minute, you've got Cobra on vinyl?

Another possibility is that "Puncture" and "Velvet" are segwaying into each other, glued together by the latter's treated organ intro. It may very well appear by listening to the LP version that either "Velvet" is part two of "Puncture" or "Puncture" is part one of "Velvet". Can't possibly think how else could it appear that Side 2 ends with a cracker and Side 3 begins with a "bridge".

Aug 31, 2011, 12:36

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I do think the album makes way more sense as a vinyl double album. I keep forgetting that, not being a vinyl listener. That Blue Milk takes up all of side C makes a lot of sense. And microbinatergator's descriptions are still very good. The strings on the end of Puncture are very exciting, and I'm not a strings lover, but love those. It's not Sean doing that huh, it's O'Rourke?

Velvet water still makes a good transition to Blue Milk because of it's dreamy spacy quality, and somewhat repetitive nature, especially the end segues perfectly.

I really should look at all of Stereolab's albums this way, thinking of the space created by flipping over a record. Hmm...

Aug 31, 2011, 17:12

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

You know what I like about this forum and over on the green screen? We could continue for a long time to come, digging deeply into these songs, because there's so much there.

Aug 31, 2011, 17:22

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Good point! My Cobra CD has sadly seen better days, to the point that it's skipping like mad whenever I attempt to play "Emergency Kisses". If I can somehow get my hands on 2LP version for a decent price, I'll grab it!

Aug 31, 2011, 20:57

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

I have the CD only: never been privy to the vinyl running order, and in all the excitement just got the track names hopelessly wrong. I am gravitating to the natural points of reference (in my imagination at least) to 4 sides of vinyl. So Bop Hop would be the natural closer to side 2 - just as....oh... "The Chamber of 32 Doors" was the perfect side 2 closer from an earlier age. Now side 3 goes onto the turntable: the heat is turned up, the stakes are raised and expectations are high. "Puncture" segwaying straight into "Velvet"... this one does not disappoint.

Aug 31, 2011, 22:03

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

You guys are totally right! Cobra makes much more sense to me as a double-disc. One of the nice things about iTunes (or any other digital library) is that you can impose your own sense of order on your music, when necessary*. I've already divided my Cobra into Discs 1 and 2. I imagine this will greatly increase my enjoyment from now on.

* For example, dividing Bitches Brew into two discs feels rather contrary to the spirit of Miles' music - whereas the A and B sides of Robert Fripp's "God Save The Queen / Under Heavy Manners" were clearly always intended as separate works.

Sep 01, 2011, 03:34

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Isn't Sound Dust also a double disc?

Sep 01, 2011, 04:06

postminimal
postminimal
281 posts

Cobra comes from the golden age of the groop. 'Emperor', 'Dots' and 'Cobra' are the pinnicle of the lab in my view. They have had great moments before and since, but this was thier greatest period. 'Aluminum Tunes' and 'Fluorescences' are also from this period (1996-99) and are equally great in their own way.

Sep 14, 2011, 21:26

vodka5
266 posts

i used to love it, but now i thing its ok, but i listened to it to death.

it doesnt fit with todays standards of being generic.

anyway.

Sep 15, 2011, 00:02

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index