Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
9-11 Retrospection
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

9-11 Retrospection

What you were doing or thoughts about reactions since..? Try to keep it clean. (ha) One local station already said they're going to push memorials next year and the next couple after that.

Sep 02, 2011, 19:42

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: 9-11 Retrospection

I have seen trailers for a couple of shows to be shown on tv next week. They look like essential viewing. Even after 10 years I am still completely captivated by the whole event. I think I always will be. One of the shows has gathered the children of those who perished to talk about their loss. So sad.

Sep 02, 2011, 20:20

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I like the tv show Rescue Me, which does talk about 9/11 frequently in the context of the story.

I get an eery and sad feeling when I see photos with the twin towers in the background. I think about the time I was near the top looking down through the glass. I was glued to my tv set while it took place, and for days after. It was so horrific, I think we've all been effected by it, a little scarred.

Sep 03, 2011, 03:18

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

I get hawkish on this issue. An eye for an eye sets deeper in me than I would ever have imagined. The unique structure of the building was the other side of the coin. Innovation can be deadly.

Sep 03, 2011, 03:48

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

jauntymonty wrote:
The unique structure of the building was the other side of the coin. Innovation can be deadly.

My aunt's a structural engineer, and has some good friends who worked on that project. She put it to me best: "they did a really great job with that building - they just didn't design it to withstand getting hit by a missile... which is pretty much what happened."

Sep 03, 2011, 07:48

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

If you look at the wiki, they supposedly considered that an airplane could fly into the building. This has happened to tall buildings before, by accident. And should be considered in the design of these super tall structures. Looks like the conclusions were that they didn't blame the structure design. This looks like it's debatable, but it was a pretty thorough analysis apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_of_the_World_Trade_Center

Sep 03, 2011, 19:54

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

jauntymonty wrote:
I get hawkish on this issue. An eye for an eye sets deeper in me than I would ever have imagined. The unique structure of the building was the other side of the coin. Innovation can be deadly.

My apologies to the forum members for my insinuation. It was based upon personal bias and is contrary to the official report made by the NIST. Thank you.

Sep 04, 2011, 03:35

MY RETURN
1963 posts

I was on my to campus. After the news break, I watched the skies for a while and continued to do so throughout the day.

A couple of people made jokes or were insensitive. But, unfortunately that happens with all tragedies.

Sep 06, 2011, 20:11

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

My wife and I were in a car driving up the M6 to Scotland, we were going to Edinburgh and there were 2 Americans in the car with us.
When the event took place the radio station we were listening to was of course interrupted with the news as it was happening, I had no idea what the world trade centre was or where it was before that day, the Americans in the car told us what they knew about it and I remember how stunned they looked.
It was only later that I realised the buildings were the ones in "Escape From New York" the John Carpenter film.
There are mixed opinions in Britain about the whole thing, a lot of people increasingly seem to think that the C.I.A. planned the whole thing to be used as an excuse to invade the Arab nations and steal their wealth, whereas others are happy with the official version of events, as for myself I'm not sure who did it, but whoever did do it set in motion a terrible chain of events.
I saw a documentary about the structure of the building which was very interesting and some film footage seemed to show that the towers were demolished in the same way that a steeplejack would bring down huge chimneys.
But like I said, I don't know who did it, it's just another one of those awful tragic events that countries suffer from time to time, I'm not belittling what happened and certainly don't condone it, but some countries have a history of long and awful suffering, look at the Palestinians in our present time and in the past the African peoples and Irish have suffered terrible persecutions. I think that the citizens of the U.S.A. and Great Britain have it pretty easy compared to the vast majority of countries around the world and I for one am grateful for this, it's just my thoughts of late, love to all, Joe.

Sep 07, 2011, 00:14

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I don't know who was responsible either, Joe, but finally, after all these years, this picture (linked below), convinced ME that the building were in fact NOT brought down by controlled demolition.

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/evidence/photos/docs/site1049.jpg

Sep 07, 2011, 03:05

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index