Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
9-11 Retrospection
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: 9-11 Retrospection

GaryB2 wrote:
deadlyfingers wrote:
deadlyfingers wrote:

...congratulations! You are not necessarily a retard.

Apologies for that. I realize there are folks here who work with the mentally handicapped. Once in a while I really wish I could edit some of these posts I've spewed.

This is a very tough issue for you guys. Very emotive. I'm guessing that's why CP didn't give you in trouble for saying "retard".

He apologized.

It's not really a tough issue, in that there's not many who believe the CIA demolished the buildings. Sort of a non issue really except someone brought that theory up here, so people were compelled to debunk it. It's definitely in our consciousness now because the 10th year is coming up, so it's in all the media every day, interviews with firemen who survived inside the 4th floor stairwell, etc etc. But highly emotional, not sure. We all have reached a level of cynicism about our gov't lately, and have many years of war fatigue. Not sure why I think that's relevant...

Sep 08, 2011, 06:35

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Conspiracy or no conspiracy :

Bush, Bin Laden, Blair, Mugabe, Pinchot are merely puppets of other men.

In global terms I think of it as a group of invisible, egregious, awful men out there we don't know about who run the show. Greed, selfishness and psychopathy are juggling for power and we don't even know what they look like. A very depressing assessment of the human race, but twas ever thus.

Sep 08, 2011, 12:49

hito
hito
1745 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
Somebody suggesting that my government sponsored the flying of commercial planes into crowded buildings might inspire wrath. Sorry, I'm human

I understand. You love your country and don't like a whole lotta half baked ideas being bandied about.

But is it patriotic not to criticise or question "your" government?
I like a lot of things about my country but I don't think the government is on my side in many ways. I also imagine many people in my country are the antithesis of me.
Sometimes challenging a government is the most patriotic thing a person can do. Maybe not in this case, I don't know.
If nothing else, the US authorities are openly secretive (yes, I know it sounds odd). There are all sorts of clandestine things going on and have been for a long time (Oliver North, Vietnam independence deals made during WW2, Iraq, Israel, Afghanisatan - for looong time for these last three). It is only natural that conspiracies will emerge under this paradigm.

Sep 08, 2011, 13:13

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Don't question your gov't, they only have YOUR best interests at heart, even when it doesn't appear to be the case.

Viva la USA!

Sep 08, 2011, 13:46

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

When I look at the vehemence with which "conspiracy theories" are shouted down here, the way anyone who questions the idea that there might be more to the 9-11 attacks than official opinion dictates are instantly labeled blind fools, it makes me wonder why?

Is there any real moral difference between killing people by crashing airplanes into buildings and dropping bombs on them? If someone would do the one thing, why not the other? Do you really think it matters that one group is labeled "Us" and the other "Them" to the perpetrators of such acts?

I think some people are afraid of the idea that the rich and powerful may not have our best interests at heart, and may even be actively predatory. It's frightening, yes I know, but with the world situation as desperate as it is, I think it might be time for us to consider it. I think it might be true.

Sep 08, 2011, 13:58

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Sep 08, 2011, 14:14

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:

When I look at the vehemence with which "conspiracy theories" are shouted down here, the way anyone who questions the idea that there might be more to the 9-11 attacks than official opinion dictates are instantly labeled blind fools, it makes me wonder why?

Is there any real moral difference between killing people by crashing airplanes into buildings and dropping bombs on them? If someone would do the one thing, why not the other? Do you really think it matters that one group is labeled "Us" and the other "Them" to the perpetrators of such acts?

I think some people are afraid of the idea that the rich and powerful may not have our best interests at heart, and may even be actively predatory. It's frightening, yes I know, but with the world situation as desperate as it is, I think it might be time for us to consider it. I think it might be true.

What? You're crazy! The warmongers are fighting al-queda, what do they have to gain by killing a few thousand US office workers?

Sep 08, 2011, 14:17

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Mu Mu wrote:

What? You're crazy! The warmongers are fighting al-queda, what do they have to gain by killing a few thousand US office workers?

Well for starters, it provided a justification for a perpetual "war on terror" (which eroded the civil liberties of Americans too by the way,)and a US military presence in the Middle East to secure oil supplies.

Sep 08, 2011, 14:30

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
Well for starters, it provided a justification for a perpetual "war on terror" (which eroded the civil liberties of Americans too by the way,)and a US military presence in the Middle East to secure oil supplies.

Did they erode civil liberties only for people they don't like, or everyone, themselves included?

Do Iraqi's own their own oil? Yes.

I'm not buying it.

Sep 08, 2011, 15:08

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Mu Mu wrote:

Did they erode civil liberties only for people they don't like, or everyone, themselves included?

Do Iraqi's own their own oil? Yes.

I'm not buying it.

And I'm not selling. Well, maybe just a little bit...

1. First, it depends on who you mean by "they" when it comes to the erosion of civil liberties. If you're rich and empowered, you can afford to make your own rules, it's the average citizen who has to deal with the consequences of the Patriot Act and the like, not our shadowy "They".

2. Do Iraqi's own their own oil? That's a complicated question, it's more about the rights to drilling contracts than it is about "owning" the stuff in the ground. Again, it depends on who you mean by "Iraqi's" and how much you really own anything at the end of a the barrel of a gun.

Everybody believes what they want to believe. I just wanted to point out the anger and name-calling aroused by even the suggestion of something being fishy. That's what I don't get.

Sep 08, 2011, 17:58

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index