Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
9-11 Retrospection
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: 9-11 Retrospection

I'm not going to indulge in the debating. I will say this. What's amusing, or sad, is I recently saw troops showing 9-11 pics to the Afghanis. 90% of them didn't know what it was or still understand why we're there.

Sep 10, 2011, 19:39

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

MY RETURN wrote:
I'm not going to indulge in the debating.

...now that makes a change, as we all know you are the past master in mass debating.

Sep 10, 2011, 22:15

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Wow! I bet millions of people wish he'd never said that out loud.....

Sep 10, 2011, 23:19

JS
JS
489 posts

lereostab wrote:
Wow! I bet millions of people wish he'd never said that out loud.....

Of course. He was at some time the most hated man in the USA because he dared to speak an inconvenient truth.

Is the USA any safer now that Saddam and Osama are dead? Apparently not. It seems there is a very serious terrorist threat in New York as I write this.

Sep 11, 2011, 04:11

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

For what it's worth: this was not the statement that made Ward Churchill such a controversial figure. What irked people was the way that he compared the WTC office workers to Adolf Eichmann, and suggested that they were all a bunch of genocidal war criminals who deserved to be put to death.

Many sane folks thought that this was going a little over the line.

Sep 11, 2011, 07:19

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Yeah, JS tends to overlook things to make his point...

Sep 11, 2011, 08:12

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Yeah, JS tends to overlook things to make his point...

Let us not overlook the fact that the innocent folks who perished 10 years ago today did so because of the the foreign policy of the USA and the West. That's a very inconvenient truth for all the patriots among us.

Sep 11, 2011, 12:08

Dara
Dara
905 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Let us not overlook the fact that the innocent folks who perished 10 years ago today did so because of the the foreign policy of the USA and the West. That's a very inconvenient truth for all the patriots among us.

Just for clarification then Gary, do your 'innocent folks' include the 19 Al-Qaeda operatives responsible for the events of that day and if not, are you saying that they were in someway guilty of something - if so what?. If you see them as not guilty of the attacks are you saying that they were in some way justified in their actions?.

I was in London on September 11 2001 and popped in to Rough Trade to collect my pre-ordered copy of Sound Dust. It was in there I saw for the first time the film of the events unfolding live. I thought it was a rock video and asked someone who it was by - they said 'no, that is really happening right now'. I went downstairs to collect my CD and said to the guy behind the counter - have you seen what is happening in New York? his reply has stuck in my memory ever since - it was (verbatim):

'they have been fucking people over for years and now they are getting what they deserve'

...but then I suppose you don't need a phD in world politics to sell CDs in a record shop.

Sep 11, 2011, 13:00

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yes, a hugely inconvenient truth, I remember thinking on the day why is this happening? why is America being attacked? and realising that there must be a reason because no one would go to those extremes unless it was very serious......

Sep 11, 2011, 13:58

Dara
Dara
905 posts

lereostab wrote:
Yes, a hugely inconvenient truth, I remember thinking on the day why is this happening? why is America being attacked? and realising that there must be a reason because no one would go to those extremes unless it was very serious......

that is a nicey-nicey child-like way of saying absolutely nothing. Why not strap a pair on and tell us what you think the reasons where then?.

Bearing in mind the world political/military situation at the time of the planning of the attacks (and further back to the Bojinka plot),the commonly held belief is that these attacks were in response to the 1991 liberation of Kuwait - an action the allies had complete UN mandate for and which ended when the legal extent of those mandates was reached.

If you think that international intervention in the affairs of any sovereign state is unjustifiable under any circumstances, then that is ridiculously na´ve, and a stance which would for example, have ironically led to thousands more deaths of muslims in the Srebrenica massacre and from 'ethnic cleansing' in Bosnia.

Enough of these trite oversimplifications, if you have the bollocks to discuss the facts then do so.

Sep 11, 2011, 14:32

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index