Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
9-11 Retrospection
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

JS
JS
489 posts

Re: 9-11 Retrospection

deadlyfingers wrote:
For what it's worth: this was not the statement that made Ward Churchill such a controversial figure. What irked people was the way that he compared the WTC office workers to Adolf Eichmann, and suggested that they were all a bunch of genocidal war criminals who deserved to be put to death.

That's how most people interpreted this, thanks to the biased media spin that happened at the time. However, if you do not take it out of context, the "little Eichmann" thing is a valid analogy, and an unbearable truth for a lot of Americans.

Sep 11, 2011, 18:02

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

JS wrote:
That's how most people interpreted this, thanks to the biased media spin that happened at the time. However, if you do not take it out of context, the "little Eichmann" thing is a valid analogy, and an unbearable truth for a lot of Americans.

Please enlighten us - how is the 'little Eichmann thing' a valid analogy exactly?

Sep 11, 2011, 18:05

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Thanks for the background Dara. I would say even most Americans never bothered to learn much about Bin Laden's motivation, much less any cultural or political knowledge of the middle east. I think it's true of many people in America, England, Canada, etc, to simplify history, demonize their enemies, perpetuate stereotypes, and not take a very close look at themselves.

In saying all that, I think America, despite some terrible policies and foolish wars, has a right to defend itself.

Sep 11, 2011, 18:35

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
In saying all that, I think America, despite some terrible policies and foolish wars, has a right to defend itself.

I don't agree with 'foolish wars' - that's a matter of informed opinion and depends on which wars you are referring to. But I absolutely agree that America has the right to defend itself.

Sep 11, 2011, 18:44

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Well I think we should have stayed out of Iraq for one. Vietnam is another.

Sep 11, 2011, 18:55

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Well I think we should have stayed out of Iraq for one. Vietnam is another.

Which Iraq war CP - 1991 or 2003?

Vietnam must be seen in the context of the Cold War - America at the time feared annihilation from 'the great spectre' of the global spread of communism and indeed with the Cuban missile crisis this almost happened. Ill advised? certainly - but understandable to an extent given the ideological and political context of the time. It is certainly a conflict every American must wish they never entered, but that is surely in most cases because America was thoroughly defeated and humbled in such a humiliating way.

Sep 11, 2011, 19:33

GaryB2
GaryB2
2328 posts

I'll advised - apt words.

10 years in to the war on terror and we are seeing a huge armed presence on American streets due to an increased threat. Ditto for heightened security in London. I thought our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan were designed to banish that threat.

When will our efforts and the sacrifice of our soldiers bear fruit?

Sep 11, 2011, 19:42

Dara
Dara
905 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
I'll advised - apt words.

10 years in to the war on terror and we are seeing a huge armed presence on American streets due to an increased threat. Ditto for heightened security in London. I thought our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan were designed to banish that threat.

When will our efforts and the sacrifice of our soldiers bear fruit?

Our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan were supposed to stop the ATTACKS, and in that they have been incredibly successful. The level of intelligence on threat potential is getting more effective every day and counter attack measures are proving effective in most cases. Of course our freedoms have been eroded by the terrorists and that is a tragic casualty of war - but believe me it is nothing compared to living under Sharia law.

Nothing will ever stop the THREATS.

Sep 11, 2011, 19:55

GaryB2
GaryB2
2328 posts

Thats a very positive view of the success of the war on terror! True, though, to be fair.

Whats your beef with sharia law? We have no threat of ever having to live under sharia, do we?

Sep 11, 2011, 20:17

Dara
Dara
905 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Whats your beef with sharia law? We have no threat of ever having to live under sharia, do we?

...you mean apart from the burying women up to the neck and stoning them to death for cheating on their (forced) husbands and all that? There are parts of England now which are administering their own sharia law 'justice'. The Archbishop of Canterbury said recently that he would have no problem with 'communities' administering their own sharia justice, in fact he said he saw it as inevitable - after all he said 'most mordern legal systems are based on aspects of sharia law'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4749183.ece

It is much closer than you think.

God help our women if they ever succeed in achieving sharia law in the west:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/05/world/asia/05afghan.html

talk about inconvenient truth.

Sep 11, 2011, 20:44

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index