Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
How would you describe your musical taste?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: How would you describe your musical taste?

Although Luke Vibert is one of my very favorite artists that I hold up higher than any other, I don't generally go for a whole lot of electronic music, with a lot of obvious exceptions of course, but the majority of my favorites are generally more rocky.

Sep 14, 2011, 23:04

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I'd say my musical taste is pretty broad, I listen to a little bit of everything from hip hop to Bach, even in genres I usually don't have much interest in, like country or metal, (everybody likes Johnny Cash and Black Sabbath, right?)

I try to actively seek out new and unusual sounds,I'm still into that and Stereolab have been really wonderful at broadening my horizons. This board and its predecessor are pretty much responsible for my discovering bands like Faust, Henry Cow and Joyce.

Right now I'm still going through a heavy Sun Ra phase, there's so much to go through, and am also currently obsessed with Shabazz Palaces and Little Dragon. I guess that's it!

Sep 14, 2011, 23:34

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Speaking of '90's chick rock, the new Juliana Hatfield is pretty good. She is not appreciated.

Sep 14, 2011, 23:37

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I think it's easier to name labels that I'm in to rather than individual artists, so here goes:

Home Normal.
Hibernate.
U-Cover.
Kompakt.
Smallfish.
Cactus Island.
Darla.
Awkward Silence.
Poker Flat.
Blackest Rainbow.
Kranky.
Dragon's Eye.
Echospace.
Moteer.
Glacial Movements.
Tokyo Droning.
Nomadic Kids Republic.

I collect 3" mini cds and love cdr's or normal cds with special packaging and limited editions, also coloured vinyl and special records.

I don't like Indie Rock or Pop and Rock anymore, in fact I find most music that has lyrics irritating unless the voice is blended in to the mix kind of like another instrument, this is what I like about Stereolab, the voice is not the main attraction because it's equal to the instruments, well it is to my ears anyway, I always hoped that the Groop would do a purely instrumental album but alas it wasn't to be, so there you go, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is in to any of the labels I mentioned, cheers Joe.

Sep 15, 2011, 00:34

vodka5
266 posts

i would say i've learned the ropes more in terms of music taste, over the years.

yesterday i was into primitive, but very left of center.

i have more common ground with other people these days.

one of my best bands was broadcast, before you know what.

i like bass frequencies. tho i dont think that has inner meaning.

Sep 15, 2011, 01:53

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Do you mean the French experimental ambient drone label "Basses Frequences" or just the sounds of bass in general?

Sep 15, 2011, 03:19

hito
hito
1745 posts

I could probably say that I don't like 95% of music but love the other 5%.

I generally don't listen to country, grindcore, classical and commercial pop (post 1986). I don't like songs with a fake reggae accent (or whatever the hell it is that people like Shaggy did. Basically, if they say "me" instead of "I", it's out) nor am I partial to real ones for that matter. I like less and less hip hop. I am not much for power ballads

I like songs with unusual timing.

I like songs that have another song playing below.

I like: electronic, rock, jazz, funk, metal, prog, pop, folk and whatever could be described as eclectic.

I like music that references other music.

But having said all that, I like country songs by the Butthole Surfers, I like that track by Satie, I don't like jazz flute and I like some of Queen's power ballads.

In the end, I know what I like when I like it.

Sep 15, 2011, 13:35

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

It seems very few people are listening to Sound Art and Contemporary Experimental Music. I dig this stuff a bunch.

Sep 15, 2011, 15:04

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
It seems very few people are listening to Sound Art and Contemporary Experimental Music. I dig this stuff a bunch.

Is Fennesz in those categories? I enjoy listening to his music quite a lot, especially Venice.

Sep 15, 2011, 17:26

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Yes, I'd put Fennesz in there, he's about the most commercially successful of the bunch.

Sep 15, 2011, 18:29

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index