Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Climate change
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Re: Climate change

s_lush_s wrote:
I was driving through Oklahoma looking at all it's sad looking astroturf...

and as the Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee famously answered when asked by a reporter - Do you prefer grass or astroturf?

'I donít know. I never smoked astroturf'.

Oct 25, 2011, 01:21

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I saw a game with blue astroturf on Sunday.

Oct 25, 2011, 01:36

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Because it was overhyped and based on mixed science. Scientists seem to agree that 98% of temperature changes are natural and man-made effects account for 2%.

Notice how the calamity is now called Climate Change and not the previous Global Warming??!!

The Kyoyo agreement aims to reduce the average temperature of the globe by about 0.8 degC. They have until 2100 to do it.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Are you getting your opinion from an article in the Daily Mail quoting a couple think tank researchers who are known to side with big business? Think tanks in my country are notorious for skewed "research" and are often little more than mouthpieces for one side or another.

What you wrote sounds quite a bit like what they say on fox news or as we like to call it faux news, and what the teabaggers and other right wingers in our country say about global warming.

"There is international scientific consensus that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

What some people (who don't have much interest in biology or learning about species and the environment) fail to realize is how a tiny average change in temperature can affect plants and animals. Look at some of the more sensitive species such as coral reefs, if you want to find out what human activity is doing to kill off species on the planet slowly but surely.

It would bring a long and confounding discussion of energy- renewable, nuclear, and otherwise, pollution, and how the political winds may bring any changes in how we live too slowly and too late. I don't want to think it's too late, but if we don't work hard enough on this issue, I think humans and other species on this planet are pretty much doomed.

It's most certainly not happening fast enough. I'm extremely disappointed in Obama's lack of strong leadership in this issue. The Kyoto protocol is extremely complex, and has many goals.

To read on this board people that think climate change is no big deal, is very troubling.

Oct 25, 2011, 04:39

vivakomeda
744 posts

Timely.

"Whatever Happened to Global Warming"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/sunday-review/whatever-happened-to-global-warming.html

Oct 25, 2011, 05:02

vivakomeda
744 posts

"Whatever Happened to Gloabl Warming"?

Timely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/sunday-review/whatever-happened-to-global-warming.html

Oct 25, 2011, 05:04

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

For the record, I agree with you totally. Climate change denial is a sickness!

Oct 25, 2011, 05:13

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
To read on this board people that think climate change is no big deal, is very troubling.

Personally, I feel that the human race is a show worth taking on the cosmic road.

I have found this apathy troubling since the 1970s. Even the very photograph of the full Earth (from Apollo 13) widely deemed to be the inspiration for the sea-change in thinking about the environment, is regarded by far too many to be at best, US political posturing - at worst, a complex lie to the world by an evil nation. I have given up long ago trying to take these people seriously.

I gave up decades ago having this argument with people - you will never change the views of apathetic self obsessed ostriches. By far the best thing to do is keep quiet about it and in the background work hard to put the issues on the table to promote the debate of people who actually care, and are in a position to do something about it.

That's why I have been involved in the past 25 years with world renowned climatologists, geologists, polar researchers and explorers, physicists and many artists and photographers - to help facilitate the communication of their message through my own work.

I would be very interested to hear the practical contribution you have made to this issue Cyberpainter - it is always interesting to hear how other people can influence things through their own passion, commitment and hard work.

Oct 25, 2011, 12:18

vodka5
266 posts

Re:

i ignorance of americans, is dull.
to be honest i too hate this kind of stuff.
global warming is bad. but some are anticipating
an appocalypse to feel better. rather the try and combat these issues.
that we're findin increcingly hard to think about.
God and logic dont mix it seems.

Oct 25, 2011, 12:35

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Re:

vodka5 wrote:
God and logic dont mix it seems.

YOU and logic don't mix either, it seems.

Oct 25, 2011, 12:38

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Right, the time to act came and went with a whimper. We done.

Oct 25, 2011, 12:40

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index