Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best [non-Stereolab] album of the 90s?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Re: Best [non-Stereolab] album of the 90s?

lereostab wrote:
Same as Cheeso says "Loveless" is one of the best albums of all time, it just happened to be released in the nineties, are we only allowed one choice?

"Loveless" would probably win my "Best Album Cover" and "Best Live Show" awards also. (Was lucky enough to see MBV at the old 9:30 Club right after Loveless came out. Stunning.)
Oddly enough, it was actually MBV that lead me to Stereolab. There was a guy named Mark Jenkins who used to write music reviews for the City Paper here in DC. He was so fixated with MBV that he found a way to mention them in every review he wrote (you'd have thought that they had somehow time-travelled and influenced Mozart, Coltrane, and the Beatles). In his review of "Mars Audiac Quintet", he wrote that Stereolab was yet another diciple of the My Bloody Valentine sound. I couldn't wait to hear the record. Turns out that it did not sound a damn thing like MBV to my ears, but I knew right away that I had found my new favorite band.

Oct 28, 2011, 15:26

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

and0rod4
692 posts

i been meaning to chack out MBV for aaaages now!
maybe someday i will. any recommends?

Oct 28, 2011, 15:27

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

You were one fortunate person to see MBV at that time, what a great memory to have, cheers Joe.

Oct 28, 2011, 15:41

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

No I never because it hasn't had a UK release?? :(

And its really expensive on-line, on Amazon. Rhino sell it direct but it's circa $45 (wtf?).

I really want to hear it though. According to PF the remastering is phenomenal. Did you get it yet?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15069-nowhere-20th-anniversary-edition/

Oct 28, 2011, 15:43

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

you know an apology will not be forthcoming!!

Oct 28, 2011, 15:47

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yes, "Loveless"

Oct 28, 2011, 15:49

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

lereostab wrote:
Same as Cheeso says "Loveless" is one of the best albums of all time, it just happened to be released in the nineties, are we only allowed one choice?

Yes you are only allowed one choice. We're all used to arbitrary rules, aren't we?

Mind you I caught by a cop the other night, I was doing 70mph in a 40 zone, and he let me off! I didn't even have to offer him a bribe or anything. It must've been my profuse, fawning, sycophantic apologies and insincere but believable remorse that swung it.

Oct 28, 2011, 15:51

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

This entry has been disqualified for breaking clearly stated house rules. Ties are forbidden! Which one of those 2 do you chose?

Oct 28, 2011, 15:52

Normsk
Normsk
318 posts

The Cardiacs - Sing to God

Oct 28, 2011, 15:54

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Please tell me you're kidding about the police thing, 70 in a 40??????

Oct 28, 2011, 16:18

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index