Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best [non-Stereolab] album of the 90s?
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Best [non-Stereolab] album of the 90s?

that was certainly one of my most listened to albums of the 90's. perfect for my angsty teen years!

have you picked up her latest? it's difficult, but I think it's her best in 10 yrs.

Oct 30, 2011, 15:15

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

First impressions

Nice choice, Hito. Reminds me of a party I was at a long, long time ago. ("Oh no, please don't bore us with another death or glory story from the good old days old man!")
The year was 1987, the place Norfolk Va. There was a great music scene there at the time, and just about everyone I knew was in a band (I was in Antic Hay for a minute). A friend named Jeff could not stop talking about this band called Jane's Addiction that he had seen out in LA. He played a demo cassette of them on an endless loop, but none of us were that impressed; just a bunch of lame Stones covers. Then they played in Norfolk (I believe opening for Love & Rockets). Jeff was the only one who went to the show, and then showed up at a party with the whole band in tow, all wearing dresses and track marks. They put on an impromptu concert in the kitchen. Scary. Still, we were not impressed. Just seemed like any other corner bar cover band.
A few months later their 1st studio recording was released. I was impressed. We were impressed. The whole damn world was impressed.
Jeff was right after all.

Oct 30, 2011, 16:18

Thessaly
57 posts

meanchico wrote:
that was certainly one of my most listened to albums of the 90's. perfect for my angsty teen years!

have you picked up her latest? it's difficult, but I think it's her best in 10 yrs.

Not yet, but I plan on listening to it at least once.

Oct 30, 2011, 19:53

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: First impressions

I love that story!!

Oct 30, 2011, 21:18

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

Odelay was so exuberant, most of it, so full of ideas -comes near the top of my list. Quite liked 'Screamadelica' too, perhaps falling for the hype. Nineties Belle and Sebastian also did it for me.

Oct 30, 2011, 21:40

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: First impressions

GaryB2 wrote:
I love that story!!

So do I. Well told. I guess most of us have those big fish music stories, the one that got away because we didn't pay attention but the way you told it was brilliant.

Oct 31, 2011, 01:37

hito
hito
1745 posts

thomas2 wrote:
The rules enforce themselves. If you are incapabale of answering the question decisively, it's better not to even try! Or just make something up.

I never said people couldn't sumbit 2nd posts having changed their minds about the first choices, did i?

OOh thanks. I know I shouldn't have mentioned other albums that I thought of along the way but I did make a decision. Like I shouldn't mention Nomeansno's Worldhood of the world (as such), nor should I mention Westing by Pavement, nor Disco Volante by Mr bungle, nor soundgarden's Louder than love and badmotorfinger and I definitely shouldn't bring up Bjork's Homogenic nor should I mention Faith no more's King for day. Emergency and I by Dismemberment plan won't be brought up along the way and I promise not to mention David Sylvian and Robert fripp's the first day. My love of Ice-cube's the predator will be kept quiet and nobody need know that i love Public enemy's apocolypse 91 and Fear of a black planet. The Magnetic fields 69 love songs will not be mentioned, nor will Buffalo daughter's New Rock, Barbara Morgenstern's Vermona ET 6-1, Ween's The mollusk, Polvo's Exploded Drawing, Music for egon Schiele by the Rachels, Aphex Twin's Richard D James, Tricky's Maxinquaye, Cinorama's Niwa Niwa and Jon Spencer's Orange. I won't mention They Might be Giant's Apollo 18 or Flood, Kyuss's Welcome to sky valley, Bongwater's Power of Pussy, Lard's Last temptation of Reid, monster Magnet's Superjudge, Butthole Surfer's Pioughd, Susan Vega's 99.9F, The Breeders Last splash and Pod, Nirvana's Incesticide (probably doesn't count), KLF's Chill Out and XTC's Nonsuch. I won't mention Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes, Kramer's The Guilt Trip nor Daisy Chainsaw's Eleventeen or Tom Waits' Bone Machine. Because despite having so many albums I love from the 90's, I have made up my mind. I have changed my choice and decided to go with an album that many fans don't like but I think is their best. I like the bigger sound. The tracks are dreamy and drifty as the cover.

Nov 02, 2011, 12:01

hito
hito
1745 posts

Despite my playful approach, I have a serious question:

Were people's choices:

a) favourites at the time of release? Like did you stand and the club as the songs burst through the speakers with a massive grin on your face going "Yeah"

b) discoveries later in life? Did you hear it a year or two or twenty later.

c) not a favourite until you got over your love for Jagged little pill, The wonderstuff's Never Loved Elvis or Korn's Follow the leader? You heard it but it wasn't as catchy as the counting crows and was frankly a bit weird and scary?

Well, I guess I am still being playful but I am curious

Nov 02, 2011, 12:09

78_sluss_s
78_sluss_s
227 posts

hito wrote:
Despite my playful approach, I have a serious question:

Were people's choices:

a) favourites at the time of release? Like did you stand and the club as the songs burst through the speakers with a massive grin on your face going "Yeah"

b) discoveries later in life? Did you hear it a year or two or twenty later.

c) not a favourite until you got over your love for Jagged little pill, The wonderstuff's Never Loved Elvis or Korn's Follow the leader? You heard it but it wasn't as catchy as the counting crows and was frankly a bit weird and scary?

Well, I guess I am still being playful but I am curious

No. All my picks were albums I was listening to at the time of their release and they were great then and still are.

Nov 02, 2011, 13:08

78_sluss_s
78_sluss_s
227 posts

78_sluss_s wrote:

Nov 02, 2011, 13:13

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index