Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
On the cans now
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

Re: On the cans now

thomas2 wrote:
lereostab wrote:
That's hilarious! what was it? an equal rights demo for the undead or something, cheers man, Joe

dunno, but I got it from one of my favourite websites, The Poke

http://www.thepoke.co.uk

Looks like probably one of those "Zombie walk" things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_walk

We have these here, it's become something of an annual event and attracted thousands last year:

http://glasgowzombiewalk.co.uk/?page_id=37

Nov 16, 2011, 17:13

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

After seeing Martin Scorsese's film, 'George Harrison: Living in the Material World'
a couple of days ago, I have been listening to 'All things must Pass' in it's entirety pretty much on repeat. In the film his wife Olivia gives an account of the night Michael Abram* broke in to their house and attempted to knife George to death - nearly succeeding. It was the first time I had heard the true details of what happened that night and as Olivia explained:

"I grabbed the fire poker and I hit him five times over the head with it. I could see the blood streaming down his head, I hit him again and he went down - I thought it was over. Then to my horror he got up and went for George with the knife again - he had already stabbed him five times by this time. I wrestled him to the ground and he had me and George pinned down, I managed to get free and hit him again with a marble lamp stand - he was out cold - it was over."

After a life devoted to the making of music, the search for spiritual enlightenment and peace George said 'after all I have done, I am destined to be murdered in my own house'. After the 1999 stabbing incident in which Olivia subdued George's assailant nearly single-handedly, Harrison received a fax from his close friend Tom Petty that read: "Aren't you glad you married a Mexican girl?".

Listening to George's music after seeing the film feels like I am rediscovering it all over again - the irony in songs like 'Isn't it a pity', 'Beware of darkness' and 'All things must pass' is really heavy, but it is also a beautiful evocation of the man he was. Fame - certainly at that level is vastly overrated and for me, to be avoided at all costs. Although we are living in a (material) world now where that is becoming more and more difficult...

*Abram, who believed he was being possessed by Harrison and was on a "mission from God" to kill him, was later acquitted of attempted murder on grounds of insanity, but was detained for treatment in a secure hospital. He was released in 2002 after 19 months' detention.

Nov 16, 2011, 17:18

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Dara wrote:

*Abram, who believed he was being possessed by Harrison and was on a "mission from God" to kill him, was later acquitted of attempted murder on grounds of insanity, but was detained for treatment in a secure hospital. He was released in 2002 after 19 months' detention.

Equally horrifying is his quick release.

I've been to Hana in Maui, Seven Sacred Pools etc. Always wished I had been able to glimpse their estate there.

Nov 16, 2011, 18:50

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Dara wrote:

Equally horrifying is his quick release.

I've been to Hana in Maui, Seven Sacred Pools etc. Always wished I had been able to glimpse their estate there.

Absolutely. 'Thankfully' George died before Abram's release and thus was unaware of it. I am certain he would have forgiven him though, perhaps not so soon but if he had lived, eventually. The effect Abram's release had on Georges family was a different matter however - Olivia was severely traumatised by the incident, as was Dhani (who is the spitting image of his father btw).

(listening to 'If not for you' at the moment)

Nov 16, 2011, 18:58

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Not on the cans, but filling my soul with soothing sounds via my Klipsch F20's: Steve be zet - 'Passion and hope'

Nov 16, 2011, 21:04

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

thomas2 wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
Lots of New Order and Joy D this weekend.

this arrived for me from Amazon today..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touching-Distance-Deborah-Curtis/dp/0571239560/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320680143&sr=8-1

I used to have a copy but lent it to someone, can't remember who, and they never gave it back.

Have you read it G2?

No. Is it any good?

Nov 16, 2011, 21:22

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Dara wrote:
Not on the cans, but filling my soul with soothing sounds via my Klipsch F20's: Steve be zet - 'Passion and hope'

Hey, the speakers count too, and you know it.

Nov 16, 2011, 22:08

Normsk
Normsk
318 posts

Been listening to Finders Keepers 'Make Do & Mend' series so far. Zola Jesus and Prefuse 73 compilation is a favourite so far.

Nov 17, 2011, 00:15

Normsk
Normsk
318 posts

And also the Gruff Rhys compilation.

I love these songs:

Kerdd Dant - Myddyffycycs Yn Bob Man
Tandy Love - Anagram Jam

Nov 17, 2011, 01:04

Dara
Dara
905 posts

thomas2 wrote:
Dara wrote:

Hey, the speakers count too, and you know it.

*relieved*

Nov 17, 2011, 01:26

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index