Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
On the cans now
103 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Re: On the cans now

After seeing Martin Scorsese's film, 'George Harrison: Living in the Material World'
a couple of days ago, I have been listening to 'All things must Pass' in it's entirety pretty much on repeat. In the film his wife Olivia gives an account of the night Michael Abram* broke in to their house and attempted to knife George to death - nearly succeeding. It was the first time I had heard the true details of what happened that night and as Olivia explained:

"I grabbed the fire poker and I hit him five times over the head with it. I could see the blood streaming down his head, I hit him again and he went down - I thought it was over. Then to my horror he got up and went for George with the knife again - he had already stabbed him five times by this time. I wrestled him to the ground and he had me and George pinned down, I managed to get free and hit him again with a marble lamp stand - he was out cold - it was over."

After a life devoted to the making of music, the search for spiritual enlightenment and peace George said 'after all I have done, I am destined to be murdered in my own house'. After the 1999 stabbing incident in which Olivia subdued George's assailant nearly single-handedly, Harrison received a fax from his close friend Tom Petty that read: "Aren't you glad you married a Mexican girl?".

Listening to George's music after seeing the film feels like I am rediscovering it all over again - the irony in songs like 'Isn't it a pity', 'Beware of darkness' and 'All things must pass' is really heavy, but it is also a beautiful evocation of the man he was. Fame - certainly at that level is vastly overrated and for me, to be avoided at all costs. Although we are living in a (material) world now where that is becoming more and more difficult...

*Abram, who believed he was being possessed by Harrison and was on a "mission from God" to kill him, was later acquitted of attempted murder on grounds of insanity, but was detained for treatment in a secure hospital. He was released in 2002 after 19 months' detention.

Nov 16, 2011, 17:18

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: