Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
World's oldest photographs
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

World's oldest photographs

good stuff

Nov 01, 2011, 17:55

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: World's oldest photographs

errr not quite... though that is still a very nice video

let's try again

Nov 01, 2011, 17:56

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

That's brilliant, I love old photographs, the ones of street scenes and well known buildings are particularly interesting for me, there is a very specific feeling that comes with viewing old photos which I don't have a word for.
I enjoyed looking at them, thanks for putting them up, cheers Joe.

Nov 01, 2011, 18:08

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

lereostab wrote:
there is a very specific feeling that comes with viewing old photos which I don't have a word for.

A crushing and overwhelming feeling of nostalgia. Something I assume would come naturally to Lab fans.

Nov 01, 2011, 18:28

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah it's slightly nostalgia, but nostalgia carrys a sad vibe with it where as I don't feel sadness looking at them I feel something else too, it's like a kind of happy feeling with contentment that the past will never return again, I don't know what the word is for it, but whatever it is I love looking at old photos, cheers Joe.

Nov 01, 2011, 20:10

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Similar - but different. I was looking just yesterday at this blog about the photographs with the longest exposures ever taken (as long as 3 years). There are some nice blurs and distortions and interesting patterns of light which remind me of those really early photos.

http://www.itchyi.co.uk/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html

Nov 01, 2011, 20:25

MY RETURN
1963 posts

I like the visual effect more than the music, whatever that was. :P

Nov 01, 2011, 21:02

jorbel
329 posts

Wow, fab shit!

It's so weird to imagine a world without photography! It's almost like a world with no memory...

Nov 02, 2011, 01:38

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Comfort, in that we can see into the past and compare it to the present and a sense of empowerment for the same reason.

Nov 02, 2011, 04:44

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

You can see the determination in the faces, but not a smile, for having to sit perfectly still for a very long exposure.

Interesting link. I like how you can see the passage of time in a static photo, especially the way the stages of construction become abstract art.

Nov 02, 2011, 04:49

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index