Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
4,000 worth saving, or not?
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

4,000 worth saving, or not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15561501

What do you reckon, Gary? Let 'em die, I say ...

Nov 03, 2011, 18:26

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: 4,000 worth saving, or not?

Haha!

I have a hard time with this on so many levels.

Firstly, the resons given are nonsense. Too much fat lmao (but that's another story).

Secondly, the real reason for the disparity is down to Scotland being poor, relative to England. And the poorer the people, the cheaper the carbohydrates bought and consumed.

Scotland actually compares well to the poorer regions of England but the south brings the average up. And how!

Proof, if ever proof was needed, that Scotland is not doing well out of the Union, at all. Quite how a small nation with such fantastic natural resources can be the sick-man of Europe is anybody's guess. But, it doesn't take a genius to work out.

Nov 03, 2011, 18:57

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

'Got to die of something!!

Nov 03, 2011, 19:19

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Absoutely. I think it's crazy that governments spend billions telling us what to eat.

Nov 03, 2011, 19:25

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

i knew it would be our fault!!

Nov 03, 2011, 19:45

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Absoutely. I think it's crazy that governments spend billions telling us what to eat.

We all have to die of something... however we have a children's obesity epidemic here, it's horrifying and we will all pay for it later, with medical costs etc.

Nov 03, 2011, 19:49

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

In the first place you have to believe that the authorities want to save these extra 30,000 lives, and in the second place the dietary information is all wrong, I agree with Gary, the problems are not salt and saturated fats the problem is refined carbohydrates especially sugar and it by products and grains, which any farmer can tell you is cattle food, the increase in consumption of these products has gone hand in hand with the increase of diabetes, heart disease and cancer, these diseases are still on the increase even though people have followed the official line on diet, the over consumption of these products is THE primary reason for the continuing increase. The food pyramid is one of the biggest examples of funded propaganda the world has ever seen and the extent to which people have been conned in to believing it is astounding, still ignorance seems to reign supreme and a surprisingly small number of people actually bother to research the subject themselves, instead they rely upon the media to inform them of what's healthy and what's not, even most doctors don't bother to look beyond the surface so they just repeat parrot fashion what they've been told to say, I could go on and on but I'm not going to.
For those who disagree, I simply say read a few choice books on the subject to wake yourselves up i.e. "Eat Fat Get Thin" by Barry Groves and "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" by the good doctor himself, these will give you a basic understanding of the science behind true healthy eating.
I'm not advocating 'No Carbs' I'm advocating 'Low Carbs' and being wise regarding the types of carbohydrates you consume, kind regards Joe.

Nov 03, 2011, 19:59

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

lereostab wrote:
In the first place you have to believe that the authorities want to save these extra 30,000 lives, and in the second place the dietary information is all wrong, I agree with Gary, the problems are not salt and saturated fats the problem is refined carbohydrates especially sugar and it by products and grains, which any farmer can tell you is cattle food, the increase in consumption of these products has gone hand in hand with the increase of diabetes, heart disease and cancer, these diseases are still on the increase even though people have followed the official line on diet, the over consumption of these products is THE primary reason for the continuing increase. The food pyramid is one of the biggest examples of funded propaganda the world has ever seen and the extent to which people have been conned in to believing it is astounding, still ignorance seems to reign supreme and a surprisingly small number of people actually bother to research the subject themselves, instead they rely upon the media to inform them of what's healthy and what's not, even most doctors don't bother to look beyond the surface so they just repeat parrot fashion what they've been told to say, I could go on and on but I'm not going to.
For those who disagree, I simply say read a few choice books on the subject to wake yourselves up i.e. "Eat Fat Get Thin" by Barry Groves and "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" by the good doctor himself, these will give you a basic understanding of the science behind true healthy eating.
I'm not advocating 'No Carbs' I'm advocating 'Low Carbs' and being wise regarding the types of carbohydrates you consume, kind regards Joe.

Producing carbs on a massive scale is cheaper and easier than producing protein, though. And 7bn mouths to feed is a big old unit....

Nov 03, 2011, 20:27

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I eat loads of bad stuff if I go up to Scotland in Winter. It's blooming' parky up there and my body tells me it needs pasties, chips cakes etc - just to build up some sort of fat layer presumably. I tend to trust what my body says over any scientific theory.

Gary probably right (as ever) on the poverty thing, though - organic veg etc very much easier to afford if you have plenty of money.

Nov 03, 2011, 20:33

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

lereostab wrote:

A lot of salt and fat are also bad for you, so I think you're not the end all of knowledge on the matter yourself. Dieting and eating healthy are not always the same thing. Dieting is more extreme.

Everything in moderation is good concept to follow, as is eating less. I would never in a million years eat a high fat diet or lots of salt. However, I'm cutting down on carbs, especially empty carbs. Eating small amounts of whole grains with lots of veggies and some protein, and just eating less food is my ideal way.

Nov 03, 2011, 20:34

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index