Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Under The Radar Interview
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

Last bit of the article:

...next year should see her follow-up to last year's well-received solo debut The Trip. And as the future of Stereolab, do she and Gane discuss whether and when the band will continue?
"No," she offers bluntly, before adding, "and I'm hoping the band won't resume as we've known it. I hope that I will carry on to one day sing Tim's songs, but that we'll have different people in the band."

Also there's a heartfelt interview with James Cargill on life/music after Trish's passing.

Nov 07, 2011, 03:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

Re: Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

corporalclegg wrote:
Last bit of the article:

...next year should see her follow-up to last year's well-received solo debut The Trip. And as the future of Stereolab, do she and Gane discuss whether and when the band will continue?
"No," she offers bluntly, before adding, "and I'm hoping the band won't resume as we've known it. I hope that I will carry on to one day sing Tim's songs, but that we'll have different people in the band."

Also there's a heartfelt interview with James Cargill on life/music after Trish's passing.

That is blunt. Not sure I've heard her say before that if they continued she'd hope they have different people in the band. But she has said before many times that she'd sing Tim's songs. I haven't heard a peep out of him related to that. However, it's not like he goes around doing interviews all the time, like she does when touring or whatnot.

Nov 07, 2011, 03:22

raygun
raygun
170 posts

I always thought of Tim as a composer instead of a song writer. Laetitia was the song writer in Stereolab. Having Laetitia "sing Tim's songs" is an exciting prospect. One would think that such a unison would sound like that band we are missing. This is no slam at all at Andy, Simon or Joe; very fine musicians; but Tim's compositions were the driving force behind Stereolab. So I conclude, not having heard Tim's work take any other direction from what we have already come to know, then that Laetitia singing Tim's songs could take a very interesting slant to previous Stereolab music. Bring it on!

Nov 07, 2011, 05:02

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

JAM

corporalclegg wrote:

some excerpts from the Cargill interview...

“Switching gears to discuss the band’s long-gestating LP, Cargill reveals that financial difficulties and the adjustment to working primarily as a duo contributed to the protracted delay of Broadcast’s follow-up to 2005’s Tender Buttons. He hints that it will embrace the pensive soft-focus side of the band, chartering dramatically different sonic territory than the cacophonous, braying 2009 EP collaboration with the The Focus Group, Investigate Witch Cults off the Radio Age.

“Trish’s vocals are really great,” Cargill enthuses. “They’re a bit more pastoral, almost a bit more like Haha Sound. I liked the lyrics she was writing. They fit the pastoral, sort of folk thing. She’d taken a lot from Lewis Carroll and some of the sort of nonsense verse she was into. I think it might be a bit more like the older sort of Broadcast.”

Despite drawing parallels to Haha Sound, Cargill’s unequivocal in his stance that the band were opposed to remaining static, aspiring to evolve stylistically with each release. “We would’ve changed again. That was what I liked about doing it. We never got repetitive.”

Assisting Cargill on the process of completing the LP is Julian House of The Focus Group, who’s long provided artwork for the band, as well as musical input.

“He’s been at the heart of all our ideas,” says Cargill. “I’m looking forward to getting back to it again. I needed to finish the soundtrack because I needed to get some money, and I need to figure out what it is I do now. I made music with Trish, but I also made it for her. Without her, it’s a different take on a different meaning for me. The next thing I release with Trish on it will be more like a monument and a tribute to her rather than this obsessive thing I used to have about making albums.”

Nov 07, 2011, 15:44

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

corporalclegg wrote:
Last bit of the article:

That sounds exciting and I know they'll have a big comeback whatever I don't believe it. They are going to have big comeback record that reporter made that up.

Nov 07, 2011, 16:20

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
corporalclegg wrote:
Last bit of the article:

That sounds exciting and I know they'll have a big comeback whatever I don't believe it. They are going to have big comeback record that reporter made that up.

They are going to have reunion album. I just know it.

Nov 07, 2011, 16:21

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:
corporalclegg wrote:
Last bit of the article:

They are going to have reunion album. I just know it.

It's going to be a blockbuster.

Nov 07, 2011, 16:22

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Wow, so we’ll have a Broadcast proper album to look forward to and a solo effort? His words make the nostalgic romantic in me quite sad, but I’m elated to hear that he’s moving forward and we can still enjoy his work. I’m excited to discuss these when they’re released.

Laetitia’s sentiments were interesting. Clearly she’s got some beef with the most recent Lab line-up. I suppose that sort of tension is inevitable. I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed that Tim is working on a collection of fantastic tunes that will soon be sent to Laetitia who will then work her magic on them.

I wonder what direction Laetitia will go on the follow up to The Trip? She seems so healthy and happy these days. I have a feeling we won’t be disappointed.

Nov 07, 2011, 16:30

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

meanchico wrote:

Laetitia’s sentiments were interesting. Clearly she’s got some beef with the most recent Lab line-up. I suppose that sort of tension is inevitable.

Either that, or maybe she's basically saying she doesn't want things to stay the same.

Nov 07, 2011, 16:43

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
meanchico wrote:

Laetitia’s sentiments were interesting. Clearly she’s got some beef with the most recent Lab line-up. I suppose that sort of tension is inevitable.

Either that, or maybe she's basically saying she doesn't want things to stay the same.

I thought that Andy Ramsay had left the group around the time they announced the hiatus thing - didn't I read that in an interview somewhere?

Not sure if that was a heat of the battle thing and he'd be part of any new group stuff or if they would have to get a new drummer in...

Nov 07, 2011, 16:56

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index