Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Under The Radar Interview
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
330 posts

Re: Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

all the latest Lab live I know is pretty excellent so what are you talking about?

Nov 09, 2011, 14:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1905 posts

Wait a sec.... I recall reading somewhere on here that Laetitia had issues with how loud their recent tour was. She felt her vocals were being drowned out. He was responsible for that? Not Joe Watson I imagine.

Nov 09, 2011, 17:16

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5935 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
I certainly had problems with him. I guess it's not his fault that he was playing these tacky, cheesy electric pianos and cheap synthesizer things but it really screwed up the sound.

What he did to Cybele's Reverie actually had me apologise to the people I was with. "Sorry, I swear it's usually a great song". Urgh...

I thought it was the new guy Julian Gasc that made the cheesier sounds?

Well, it's true I'm not as huge a fan of the sounds after Margerine, but I'd say probably Tim knew what he wanted it to sound like...

Nov 09, 2011, 20:07

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

well, i didn't see them on the last tour, but from listening to Chemical Chords and Not Music, i can see where Lae is coming from. i made a thread about this in the past i believe. the keyboards sounded too angular (is that the word?) or pointy...very pointy compared to their smoother or more ambient sounds in the past. i accredited this to the new guys, but Tim probably shares the blame for letting it happen. No knock on him, after a prolific career churning out so much awesomeness....sometimes the ride comes to an end. it has happened to most of the greats. its just nature. i'm trying to think of a "great" album made by someone in their 50's & 60's....can't think of any off the top of my head. i liked FFS and would've been happier if that was their last record as Stereolab.

Nov 09, 2011, 20:53

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5935 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
i'm trying to think of a "great" album made by someone in their 50's & 60's....can't think of any off the top of my head.

I agreed with most of what you wrote until this... I think maybe the other guys here can come up with a lot of examples. What about all the old blues and jazz artists?

Age has nothing whatsoever to do with artistic talent and creativity. The interest in current trends by young people doesn't really have much to do with how great music creation can be at any age. Energy for touring and maintaining that kind of life is another story. Life does get in the way, but it doesn't mean creativity somehow ends.

Nov 09, 2011, 21:15

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Nov 09, 2011, 21:42

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Mars Rover wrote:
i'm trying to think of a "great" album made by someone in their 50's & 60's....can't think of any off the top of my head.

I agreed with most of what you wrote until this... I think maybe the other guys here can come up with a lot of examples. What about all the old blues and jazz artists?

Age has nothing whatsoever to do with artistic talent and creativity. The interest in current trends by young people doesn't really have much to do with how great music creation can be at any age. Energy for touring and maintaining that kind of life is another story. Life does get in the way, but it doesn't mean creativity somehow ends.

creativity doesn't end..there's great writers who have written great books into their 70's..ect. but music is different. i'm not into classical jazz or blues, so don't know about that...but i've been thinking about it and i can't name any great albums.

Nov 09, 2011, 21:47

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:

thats your theory.

Nov 09, 2011, 21:47

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Once Igor Stravinsky turned seventy he was a hack. You are so right Mars Rover.

Nov 09, 2011, 21:56

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

You chums sound so apopleptic. Some of the things you're saying sound sooooo facetious. I was wondering if the Joes would be part of the new line-up. I can't wait to hear the new stuff they come up with. I like a variety of their recordings but everything from d&L onward. I'm interested in whatever their new sound is going to be. I'm sure it will be great. Is this going to be 2 years or 3 yrs away until we have it in our grubby hands?
Everything they do is so superior to everyone forever.
This makes me want to listen to "Not Music" !

Nov 09, 2011, 22:10

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index