Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Under The Radar Interview
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

I forgot ETK and MAQ.

Nov 09, 2011, 23:28

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Mars Rover wrote:
i'm trying to think of a "great" album made by someone in their 50's & 60's....can't think of any off the top of my head.

I agreed with most of what you wrote until this... I think maybe the other guys here can come up with a lot of examples. What about all the old blues and jazz artists?

Age has nothing whatsoever to do with artistic talent and creativity. The interest in current trends by young people doesn't really have much to do with how great music creation can be at any age. Energy for touring and maintaining that kind of life is another story. Life does get in the way, but it doesn't mean creativity somehow ends.

Well, it may not be an age problem but more the length of time an artist has worked.
For the sake of this thread let's limit the discussion to musicians.
Take some of the greatest, randomly to name a few: Bowie, Paul McCartney, James Brown, Miles Davis, Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell...
I am sorry to say that none of them released anything that could match their greatest work past the age of 50, if not earlier. That's a fact.

Nov 10, 2011, 01:06

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Mars Rover wrote:

i'm not into classical jazz or blues, so don't know about that...but i've been thinking about it and i can't name any great albums.

A lot of classical composers actually produced their best, most inventive work in their later years: Beethoven, Shostakovich, Dvorak, etc. I think a lot of musicians and conductors have tended to stay strong as well.

In terms of jazz, blues, country, soul, pop: there are a lot of old performers who are still darn good - but off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone whose later work is better than what they did in their 20s and 30s.

Eno might be a good example. He's continued to make interesting music (the album he did with Paul Simon is especially good) - but none of it can eclipse what he did in the 70s and early 80s.

Nov 10, 2011, 02:20

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

velvetwater wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Mars Rover wrote:
i'm trying to think of a "great" album made by someone in their 50's & 60's....can't think of any off the top of my head.

I agreed with most of what you wrote until this... I think maybe the other guys here can come up with a lot of examples. What about all the old blues and jazz artists?

Age has nothing whatsoever to do with artistic talent and creativity. The interest in current trends by young people doesn't really have much to do with how great music creation can be at any age. Energy for touring and maintaining that kind of life is another story. Life does get in the way, but it doesn't mean creativity somehow ends.

Well, it may not be an age problem but more the length of time an artist has worked.
For the sake of this thread let's limit the discussion to musicians.
Take some of the greatest, randomly to name a few: Bowie, Paul McCartney, James Brown, Miles Davis, Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell...
I am sorry to say that none of them released anything that could match their greatest work past the age of 50, if not earlier. That's a fact.

add to that...the Rolling Stones, Lou Reed, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen...the list goes on and on.

Nov 10, 2011, 02:21

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Of course the list goes on. I just named the first few who came to my mind.
I think that with the exception of classical composers we can say that this applies to more or less every single musician.

It's probably due to a combination of enthusiasm, energy, hunger, ambition that one has in larger doses at a younger age in addition to the fact that when we are young we react to our life experiences in a more visceral and passionate way compared to the maturity and thoughtfulness that in most cases we reach growing up.
And inspiration thrives better on a more "unstable" state of mind.
Plus the fact that, after many years in the business of creating music, it gets harder and harder not to repeat oneself or to remain fresh; even more difficult to be innovative.
Finally, in the case of many singers, the voice inevitably starts deteriorating.

So Tim, you better hurry up if you want to release something that it's still of a decent standard! :-)

Nov 10, 2011, 11:24

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

velvetwater wrote:
Of course the list goes on. I just named the first few who came to my mind.
I think that with the exception of classical composers we can say that this applies to more or less every single musician.

It's probably due to a combination of enthusiasm, energy, hunger, ambition that one has in larger doses at a younger age in addition to the fact that when we are young we react to our life experiences in a more visceral and passionate way compared to the maturity and thoughtfulness that in most cases we reach growing up.
And inspiration thrives better on a more "unstable" state of mind.
Plus the fact that, after many years in the business of creating music, it gets harder and harder not to repeat oneself or to remain fresh; even more difficult to be innovative.
Finally, in the case of many singers, the voice inevitably starts deteriorating.

So Tim, you better hurry up if you want to release something that it's still of a decent standard! :-)

I think the financial comfort factor comes into it as well. I've long had the vague opinion that millionaires don't make good music. I think that there are some cases where bands have had as long as they wanted to make a record and whatever resources they required and still come up with great albums - Sgt Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon, as examples. But I think that generally the lack of edge that comes with big success dulls the creativity. So many established artists come up with smooth and immaculate sounding records that have no real excitement to them. The old artist-half-starving-in-a-garret-but doing-it-for-the-love syndrome does seem to create better art.

Nov 10, 2011, 11:39

jorbel
329 posts

I still can't believe the hiatus shit because I always thought that Lab would fucking make fucking music forever, but I'm very happy to get to know Lae better, to see her live and in person was one of the most fucking interesting musical experiences I've ever had

Nov 10, 2011, 14:38

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

meanchico wrote:
Wow, so well have a Broadcast proper album to look forward to and a solo effort? His words make the nostalgic romantic in me quite sad, but Im elated to hear that hes moving forward and we can still enjoy his work. Im excited to discuss these when theyre released.

Same here! It would be nice to hear something like the more traditional sounding songs (less experimental noise) that Broadcast did with emphasis on Trish's vocal. With Julian House of Focus Group helping James Cargill finish the album...I wonder.? Cargill said any song with Trish's vocal would be like a memorial to her so that would be wonderful!

Nov 10, 2011, 18:19

vivakomeda
744 posts

I don't know who was who. This guy had black hair and played sitting down at stage left.

He may well be a great guy and musician, I don't know, it's just that at that particular show (and with those keys) I couldn't stand him.

Nov 11, 2011, 01:54

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

Age has nothing whatsoever to do with artistic talent and creativity.

Do you have anything to back up this claim? I'm inclined to believe the opposite. Everything else about our human experience is dulled by age, why not creativity? Ive heard great mathematicians almost always do their best work in their 20's, I don't know, it just seems common sense to me that aging slows down all of our faculties, both mental and physical. I wish it didn't.

Nov 11, 2011, 03:39

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index