Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Under The Radar Interview
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Re: Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

This argument seems idiotic. First of all, jazz and classical are being called "out of bounds". God knows there's no creativity there. No way that any of those people influenced the entire paradigm of western music. No, I definitely think that Bowie's Ziggy Stardust was way more musically and creatively important than Schoenberg's discovery/invention of 12 tone music. So, yeah, if you cut out some of the most musically important advances in music, then sure, the claim stands.

Secondly, you are choosing ONLY musicians who were heralded as making an iconic album in their "youth.". Besides money and comfort being a factor in creativity, which I agree with, the other factor is that it is incredibly hard for a Brian Wilson to live up to a Pet Sounds because the album becomes a part of mythic musical lore. It seems to me that any older, iconic musician, will be up against a gang of critics and fans who have already decided that their best years are behind them. As is proven by the comments and assumptions listed prior.

Thirdly, Scott Walker. Ryuichi Sakamoto. David Sylvian. Louis Phillipe. Sean O'friggin'Hagan.

Nov 11, 2011, 19:16

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I was drawing on my own experience in method and motivation. I recognize people use other techniques to create. If you have another technique I'd love to learn about it. I didn't mentioning any specific musicians. I experienced the typical stuff. If you know a different way, I'm interested in objectively observing it and then extracting its value. So, I think it's a little weird you've singled me out when I'm drawing from personal experiences. I guess I should have thrown in some celebrities and surmised I knew anything about them other than what's been represented. I think maybe you weren't talking to me. If you were, I'm genuinely interested in how you derive your inspiration, if you can map it out in a general manner.

Nov 11, 2011, 19:56

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Sorry, sorry. I meant "these" comments. Not yours particularly. Sorry to seem like I was singling you out. It was mostly to the people who were arguing that musicians lose their creativity as they get older as fact.

Nov 11, 2011, 20:21

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

revised statement

ok, looks like what i said touched a nerve, sorry.

so, i take it back, what i meant was that there's no music made by people after the age of 50 that i personally like.

Nov 11, 2011, 20:34

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2779 posts

calapia wrote:
Sorry, sorry. I meant "these" comments. Not yours particularly. Sorry to seem like I was singling you out. It was mostly to the people who were arguing that musicians lose their creativity as they get older as fact.

Well, I never said they would "lost their creativity", all I said was that, as we age, our physical and mental faculties get dulled, and I don't see why creativity would be any different. Surely a highly creative person in their 80's can be far more creative than someone in their 20's who never really had the creative 'knack' or 'spark'.

Nov 11, 2011, 20:43

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Re: revised statement

Mars Rover wrote:
Yes, well please forgive the rantish and possibly condescending tone of my post. Maybe I should sit with something before posting it next time.

I felt like a large brush was being used to paint across a lot of musical/creative fields, and I guess I just wanted to voice my opinion that even though many don't ever top something they made in their past years, many people go on creating great stuff. Stuff even on par with their "classics." To me, at least.

Nov 11, 2011, 22:31

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

calapia wrote:
Mars Rover wrote:
Yes, well please forgive the rantish and possibly condescending tone of my post. Maybe I should sit with something before posting it next time.

I felt like a large brush was being used to paint across a lot of musical/creative fields, and I guess I just wanted to voice my opinion that even though many don't ever top something they made in their past years, many people go on creating great stuff. Stuff even on par with their "classics." To me, at least.

well, you are right. didn't think you were condescending. i was just looking through my collection when i wrote that.

Nov 11, 2011, 22:35

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Mars Rover wrote:

so, i take it back, what i meant was that there's no music made by people after the age of 50 that i personally like.

wow and you personally know all the ages of the artists involved on a project ? Come on Mars Rover that last comment is carrying things a little too far. so 45 makes all the difference and once an artist turns fifty you'll turn your back on them and stop buying their music ?! Stop being so silly. You never liked anybody over fifty ? Brian Wilson ? Bowie ?

Nov 11, 2011, 22:41

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Leonard Cohen ? Prince ? Dylan? anybody ?

Nov 11, 2011, 22:43

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Madonna?

Nov 11, 2011, 22:43

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index