Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Under The Radar Interview
68 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Laetitia Under The Radar Interview

s_lush_s wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
velvetwater wrote:
Of course the list goes on. I just named the first few who came to my mind.
I think that with the exception of classical composers we can say that this applies to more or less every single musician.

It's probably due to a combination of enthusiasm, energy, hunger, ambition that one has in larger doses at a younger age in addition to the fact that when we are young we react to our life experiences in a more visceral and passionate way compared to the maturity and thoughtfulness that in most cases we reach growing up.
And inspiration thrives better on a more "unstable" state of mind.
Plus the fact that, after many years in the business of creating music, it gets harder and harder not to repeat oneself or to remain fresh; even more difficult to be innovative.
Finally, in the case of many singers, the voice inevitably starts deteriorating.

So Tim, you better hurry up if you want to release something that it's still of a decent standard! :-)

I think the financial comfort factor comes into it as well. I've long had the vague opinion that millionaires don't make good music. I think that there are some cases where bands have had as long as they wanted to make a record and whatever resources they required and still come up with great albums - Sgt Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon, as examples. But I think that generally the lack of edge that comes with big success dulls the creativity. So many established artists come up with smooth and immaculate sounding records that have no real excitement to them. The old artist-half-starving-in-a-garret-but doing-it-for-the-love syndrome does seem to create better art.

I'm trying to figure out if you guys are kidding because everyone kind of sounds ridiculous. I guess everyone has their own "methods" and "motivations" for "product".
But you wouldn't tell a child not to study an instrument so why would you put a shelf life on a musician. What I make a big production over the older musician has reduced down to a minimal standard kind of like a math problem or computer command. and the child understands this as well. I guess there isn't anything new in the world so you shouldn't blame the musician because they've learned more about how there is less. You see? It makes perfect sense. So I grab my soapbox we must study what is old to understand today. That is so anti-lab. But I'm sure in 20 yrs time they learned a lot of things and they bought old albums and emulated them. I feel like you guys are trying to be funny. Am I right? oh har de har.

Actually, yeah. I'm saying money and comfort rather seem to erode creativity in Rock and Roll. I don't see any real reason why age should. Just hard trying to come up with examples of anyone who can still do it in their 50s 60s 70s? I know a lot of the old blues and soul acts have still got it live, but are they coming up with the great songs? Help me out here, someone...

Nov 11, 2011, 17:09

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: