Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Game - U S State songs
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Re: Game - U S State songs

revox wrote:

Sorry to be a party pooper... but these are referring to Washington Square Park in New York City, not the State.

I know plenty of songs about the region, cities, neighborhoods, area codes, landmarks, etc - but nothing about Washington State. This may be a sign that we don't have a very strong Statewide identity (as opposed to regional or local ones). Sometimes I feel we're like one of those African nations that got drawn up on a map by foreigners without much regard to the actual geographic, economic, or cultural boundaries.

I'd definitely be interested if someone can find a song about Washington.

Nov 09, 2011, 23:15

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

'Maryland Bridge' The Weakerthans.

Nov 09, 2011, 23:17

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

'Wichita Linesman' The Meters.

Nov 09, 2011, 23:22

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:

Does west of Washington count? :D

Nov 09, 2011, 23:22

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Historically, New England consists of Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Vermont (the entire NE corner of the country).

Nowadays, however, Connecticut it more often referred to as part of the "tri-state area" (with New York and New Jersey) - since a big chunk of the state functions as the outer suburbs of New York City.

Also, Vermont is a bit of an oddball. I've met a number of folks from there, and none of them talked funny or even pretended to give half a shit about the Red Sox.

Nov 09, 2011, 23:27

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
deadlyfingers wrote:

Does west of Washington count? :D

I have no idea - but I'll embrace it!

Nov 09, 2011, 23:36

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

O.K. so it's more of a region like our West Country which consists of, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Avon, Dorset and some say Gloucestershire too.
What are the red sox about?

Nov 09, 2011, 23:56

Dara
Dara
905 posts

[quote="wracket"]

Singer/songwriter John Darniell and Sufjan Stevens are both currently working on a repetoire of songs that will have songs with all 50 states in their titles...

Nov 10, 2011, 01:23

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

lereostab wrote:

What are the red sox about?

Baseball. Boston Red Sox vs. NY Yankees is probably the oldest, most intense rivalry in American sports. Goes back to 1917 when the Sox sold a kid named Babe Ruth to a then-shitty club from New York, and... I don't really care about the rest, honestly. Ask any person from Boston and you'll get a history lesson. I lived there for two years, and that was enough for me.

Anyhow, there's an irony that I will point out: properly speaking, a 'yankee' is a person from New England, while NYC is emphatically NOT a part of New England.

Nov 10, 2011, 02:03

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Interesting, and a bit amusing too, these sporting type rivalries always make me laugh, I suppose it's because I have no interest in sports at all, music music music and music is what I love.
I don't know why but I always thought a Yankee was from anywhere in North USA, cheers, Joe.

Nov 10, 2011, 03:51

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index