Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Why So Expensive?
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: itunes Royalties

Really? That does actually sound like a very good deal.....

Maybe the figures I was looking at apply to the share of the price artists on major labels receive after the label has taken their cut, or something like that? In which case it is still the record companies who are creaming the profits and apple only take 30% ?

Can anyone shed some light on how this works?

Oct 05, 2008, 17:22


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Re: itunes Royalties

The people that come into my store still think that if you have a cd on the shelf you are rich. And that is so far from the truth. The image of wealth is as a result of the marketing. A lot of musicians still have full time jobs. Music has become a hobby. Much like rughooking. :)

Oct 05, 2008, 17:28


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Downloading

I recently just got into free DLs, and already I am disillusioned with it. I only DL stuff I am vaguely interested in - to 'suck it and see', if you like. So now my itunes and ipod have dozens of songs on there that I dont really like. I'll keep them because over time I might have an epiphany....

I'd never illegaly DL a Stereolab album without buying it later. Or, indeed, any of 'my bands'. I'm a physical kind of guy, I guess. I really love buying LPs with free mp3 DL - in fact that is the future of music if you ask me!

It was interesting to read your comments on farmers being poor and hard-up in your area. In the UK farmers are seen as money-grabbing greedy rich sods - they arent really well liked or respected at all. In fact some people have really savoured so many farmers going out of business in recent years (a pecuiliarly British thing taking pleasure out of others misfortune).

Regarding royalties for music makers, I once read that Mick Hucknall of Simply Red earned ?20m during the course of his contract. A nice sum, until you hear that the record co. made ?280m in the same time - yikes!!

Nobody forces them to sign those contracts though, right?

Oct 05, 2008, 20:16


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Why So Expensive?

Well calapia actually has tunes on itunes. How could he be making a certain amount and other people are making nothing? I am skeptical.

Also, I won't defend a huge corporation like apple, but it's not as though itunes is free from their own costs. I can't imagine what it must cost to have all those employees and servers running. But they have to be fair to the artists, as do all corporations. And we've seen over the years, that it ain't so. And our regulatory system does not favor the artists.

Oct 05, 2008, 21:32


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Re: itunes Royalties

True that. The more I meet more "important" musicians, the more I realize that they, like me, have jobs to fill in their income. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out that Laetitia or Simon, or anyone else from the Lab have other jobs.

Oct 06, 2008, 05:06


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Bytor Peltor
Bytor Peltor
165 posts

Re: Why So Expensive?

cybele wrote:
Enter file sharing. Am I an asshole, or does spending +$10,000 in the first half of my lifetime warrant never having to buy music again in part Deux?

I'll go to more shows, I swear it. I'll buy the tickets. What kind of royalties does Laetitia and Tim get from a CD?

Please advise,
Robert


I don't follow the logic here. You've been buying music for a long time. I'm sure you have quite a collection, but it's hard for me to connect the dots on how that equals you to free music now? I don't mind downloading, but it sounds as if you are trying to justify your actions. You mentioned that you are in accounting. Let's take a job / client you worked on a month or so ago. They come to you and need something next month......surely they wouldn't expect for you to work on something new just because they paid you for something in the past.

Oct 06, 2008, 15:32


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: Why So Expensive?

Bytor Peltor wrote:
cybele wrote:
Enter file sharing. Am I an asshole, or does spending +$10,000 in the first half of my lifetime warrant never having to buy music again in part Deux?

I'll go to more shows, I swear it. I'll buy the tickets. What kind of royalties does Laetitia and Tim get from a CD?

Please advise,
Robert


I don't follow the logic here. You've been buying music for a long time. I'm sure you have quite a collection, but it's hard for me to connect the dots on how that equals you to free music now? I don't mind downloading, but it sounds as if you are trying to justify your actions. You mentioned that you are in accounting. Let's take a job / client you worked on a month or so ago. They come to you and need something next month......surely they wouldn't expect for you to work on something new just because they paid you for something in the past.






Back when purchasing music was the ONLY method of acquisition, I used to fantasize about going hogwild into the record store with unlimited funds, picking out anything and everything I had even a fleeting interest in. Now, that this is essentially the case, I think it's great, but I'm under no illusion that I in any way deserve it, and regularly feel pangs of guilt (which does regularly prompt me to buy!!).

Oct 06, 2008, 15:44


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

guero
170 posts

Re: itunes Royalties

calapia wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out that Laetitia or Simon, or anyone else from the Lab have other jobs.


I had an conversation with the IEP bassist on OiNK once, and he said that Simon was a musical teacher of some kind...

I think it's strange that some/most of the Stereolab members need other jobs. I believe they are a more internationally famous band than Motorpsycho so they should earn more money. It could be that Tim earns most of the money since he takes all credit for song writing (besides lyrics), and MP might share the money more equally. Motorpsycho tour more that Stereolab though and I know that they earn pretty much on merch...

A guy I know once said that all music should be free and no bands should earn any money. That way all the "only-in-it-for-the-money" bands would be history and only bands who makes music for the pleasure of making music would run the show. Not saying I agree though...

Oct 06, 2008, 15:52


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: Why So Expensive?

I am trying to justify my actions because the damn things have been, and continue to be, overcharged. How can a DVD cost less than a CD when it costs $100 Million to make a movie?

I feel the same way about College. There really isn't much of a justification for why these costs clip higher than general inflation.

If the artists are getting a pittance, then why bother giving most of the money to a label?

Cybele

Oct 06, 2008, 22:09


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Re: Why So Expensive?

cybele wrote:
I am trying to justify my actions because the damn things have been, and continue to be, overcharged. How can a DVD cost less than a CD when it costs $100 Million to make a movie?

I feel the same way about College. There really isn't much of a justification for why these costs clip higher than general inflation.

If the artists are getting a pittance, then why bother giving most of the money to a label?

Cybele


My Boyfriend works for a university and i cant tell you how much money they waste. His boss does LITERALLY NOTHING. and makes 80grand a year.

In iceland University is only 500$ a year and that i beleive is controled by the government.

Ps. Please report to the avatar thread and explain yourself.

Oct 06, 2008, 23:36

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index