Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Playlist suggestions please - Nautical tunes
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Re: Playlist suggestions please - Nautical tunes

Many of the songs by Scarlet's Well (featuring Bid from Monochrome) have a nautical theme and feel. "Dark Dreams Aboard the Hesperus" from the album The Isle of the Blue Flowers is pretty great (could not find a streaming version).

Nov 25, 2011, 16:42

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

c in dc wrote:
Many of the songs by Scarlet's Well (featuring Bid from Monochrome) have a nautical theme and feel. "Dark Dreams Aboard the Hesperus" from the album The Isle of the Blue Flowers is pretty great (could not find a streaming version).

(featuring Bid from Monochrome Set).
Sorry about the typo.

Nov 25, 2011, 16:43

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Gilbert and Sullivan. I haven't liked all that I've heard from them. They haven't done much lately.

Christopher Cross- Sailing
Gordon Lightfoot -Edmund Fitgerald

Nov 26, 2011, 05:08

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Soundtracks to movies about water. Popeye, The Deep, Some symphonies google Triton, Poseidon Adventure, The Avalanches that reminds me of a boat,Jobim maybe. Sure somebody said it but the Beach boys. Music of Antarctica, music written on boats. That one song by High Llamas, "We've got to look for somewhere new,". A bunch of stuff. I could do some research. That's an interesting topic yeah, where is all of the nautical music, how many types are there, what does it sound like, and what type will I like? I guess you could term everything as nautical music. Is there a type of music that isn't nautical really with the body being made of 3/4 water approximately the same as the earth. But I guess you knew I'd draw this conclusion didn't you? mimicking the ocean seems unavoidable without the aid of machines. and then again only maybe.

Nov 26, 2011, 05:28

Bunker
Bunker
80 posts

s_lush_s wrote:

classic!

Nov 26, 2011, 05:30

Bunker
Bunker
80 posts

Bunker wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:

classic!

love gordy!

Nov 26, 2011, 05:31

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
Soundtracks to movies about water. Popeye, The Deep, Some symphonies google Triton, Poseidon Adventure, The Avalanches that reminds me of a boat,Jobim maybe. Sure somebody said it but the Beach boys. Music of Antarctica, music written on boats. That one song by High Llamas, "We've got to look for somewhere new,". A bunch of stuff. I could do some research. That's an interesting topic yeah, where is all of the nautical music, how many types are there, what does it sound like, and what type will I like? I guess you could term everything as nautical music. Is there a type of music that isn't nautical really with the body being made of 3/4 water approximately the same as the earth. But I guess you knew I'd draw this conclusion didn't you? mimicking the ocean seems unavoidable without the aid of machines. and then again only maybe.

Ah, good point you make there Slush. There is indeed a myriad of Nautical music - and many types. I can see now that I should have been a tad more precise in what I asked for (although, must confess, I'm not sure if I really knew at the time).

I've actually been listening to and enjoying all of the stuff that's been posted. Splendid work all round - keep 'em coming. I think I was mostly looking for the narrative songs - the ones that tell a tale - the ones with the ambience of old sailing ships and storms at sea and sea shanties and storms at sea and long tales told in crowded harbour bars by old sea dogs.

The Gordon Lighthouse song you mentioned fits the bill - I also loved the Movietone 1930's Beach House track that Mars Rover posted and Trees Polly On The Shore that Normsk posted.

Here's a couple I thought of:

Nov 26, 2011, 11:18

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
Gilbert and Sullivan. I haven't liked all that I've heard from them. They haven't done much lately.

I think they are also on hiatus, Slushy.
It's funny, right after I read your post, I saw a show on PBS that told of one possible origin of the hoagie sandwich. To celebrate the opening of Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore, the locals made a boat-shaped loaf of bread called a "pinafore". The street vendors (hokey-pokey men) put antipasti on these boat-shaped breads, and the hoagie was born.

Nov 26, 2011, 18:08

more_mellotron
more_mellotron
66 posts

Nov 26, 2011, 18:19

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I like this video. All except the kissing part. Uh oh did I give it away. The way they're dancing does look like a wave or something infinite.

Nov 26, 2011, 20:48

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index