Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Hito's Thoughtful Insight
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Hito's Thoughtful Insight

In the Topic: Cool, post cool, conservative, postmodern, hyped, overanalysed...

Hito has expressed a thoughtful insight into the transcendental connection of Music to virtually every aspect of human consciousness, especially to emotions, thoughts and passions.

If you haven't already, read his original Post and further illuminations of his point. (One of the most interesting recent Threads on this most interesting Board, in my opinion.)

Is it possible to embrace the Art without having to adopt the personal, political, or prejudicial convictions, views, beliefs, habits, etc. of the Artist?

Is it possible that a sudden change in the way we feel personally about the Artist might change the way we feel about the Art?

Music is so personal and powerful, delightful yet dangerous, so intimately connected to our every disposition that heartbreak, betrayal, rejection can sometimes transform the joy of a treasured tune, even 'our song' - into unbearable anger or sorrow. Aural torture.

Interesting to me is the fact that I cannot help but 'like' certain music (art) produced (created) by Artists with whom I would not associate in any other way.

There have certainly been more than a few times in my experience where such an evolution has taken place.

(Michael Jackson! OK. Name one of yours.)

Nov 27, 2011, 20:55

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

Re: Hito's Thoughtful Insight

We should be able to separate the art from the artist.

Nov 27, 2011, 21:45

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

Hito has expressed a thoughtful insight into the transcendental connection of Music to virtually every aspect of human consciousness, especially to emotions, thoughts and passions.

If you haven't already, read his original Post and further illuminations of his point. (One of the most interesting recent Threads on this most interesting Board, in my opinion.)

Is it possible to embrace the Art without having to adopt the personal, political, or prejudicial convictions, views, beliefs, habits, etc. of the Artist?

Is it possible that a sudden change in the way we feel personally about the Artist might change the way we feel about the Art?

Music is so personal and powerful, delightful yet dangerous, so intimately connected to our every disposition that heartbreak, betrayal, rejection can sometimes transform the joy of a treasured tune, even 'our song' - into unbearable anger or sorrow. Aural torture.

Interesting to me is the fact that I cannot help but 'like' certain music (art) produced (created) by Artists with whom I would not associate in any other way.

There have certainly been more than a few times in my experience where such an evolution has taken place.

What the bleep are you on about?

Nov 27, 2011, 21:58

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Mu Mu wrote:

What the bleep are you on about?

Artists! Art! (and, I guess, uh, Bleep!)

Nov 27, 2011, 23:32

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

Just consider a Volkswagen or a Porsche. What I mean by this is it's hard to remove the Hitler from a Carerra. Unfortunately. I lived one block away from a Volkswagen dealership and boy, I'll never do that again. People were going bananas. Flipping cars and jackknifing semis. Forget that.

Nov 28, 2011, 00:00

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
Psi-Phi wrote:

Just consider a Volkswagen or a Porsche. What I mean by this is it's hard to remove the Hitler from a Carerra. Unfortunately. I lived one block away from a Volkswagen dealership and boy, I'll never do that again. People were going bananas. Flipping cars and jackknifing semis. Forget that.

It's impossible to remove. You raise an interesting point Psi Phi and Hito. I listen to classical music. But that doesn't mean that we're not still talking about the French Revolution, The American Revolution, The Civil War and all the accompanying "tunes" and the significance as modern music and more importantly what they original conveyed to the reactionary (subject). But it's not uncommon to incorporate history into the perspective of an era and being detached from it formulate an opinion that isn't so emotional therefore a more detached view of the music, for myself as well. I think. I've never thought about why I prefer the busyness of baroque over the melodrama of the romantic era. Could be the political times that lend to my fascination of a period.

Nov 28, 2011, 00:24

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

GaryB2 wrote:

I quite agree. Have you ever had that experience, though, where something (whatever) caused you to alter your first evaluation, considered opinion, or enjoyment of some work of Art because of some change in your appreciation of the Artist?

Cause and effect, in either direction. A work of Art that changes your estimation of the Artist.

My mother and her sisters used to tell the story, when my grandmother was around to be chagrined by the telling, about the time when they were young teenagers and their mother was complaining about the evils of Rock 'n' Roll, as she often did, and especially about that ridiculous, devilish, hip swiveling ELVIS!

She went on and on about it, as many mothers did in those days. "Why, Elvis can't even SING!" She would say. "Caterwaulin! That's all it is!" One day, upon hearing a golden voiced singer on the radio, she said, "Now THERE is a singer!"

Referring to 'Old Shep,' the classic folk song the golden voice was singing, and pointing at the radio with righteous conviction and certainty of irrefutable vindication, she said, "And that's a SONG!"

"Now THAT'S the kind of SONG and that's the kind of SINGER that you GIRLS ought to be LISTENING to! Not some gyrating FOOL like ELVIS!"

Well, you probably already guessed, it was Elvis singing 'Old Shep' on the radio. She didn't even believe it at first! Grandma was really ticked off by the sniggering reaction she hat gotten from her girls, rather than the respectful 'yes, momma' she had expected.

But Grandma actually, gradually, became a fan of Elvis, because a sudden revelation overcame her previously unapproachable prejudice. A REAL fan! Not just of his Gospel music, new and unexpected at the time, but of (almost) everything he sang!

Nov 28, 2011, 00:39

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

I quite agree. Have you ever had that experience, though, where something (whatever) caused you to alter your first evaluation, considered opinion, or enjoyment of some work of Art because of some change in your appreciation of the Artist?

Cause and effect, in either direction. A work of Art that changes your estimation of the Artist.

My mother and her sisters used to tell the story, when my grandmother was around to be chagrined by the telling, about the time when they were young teenagers and their mother was complaining about the evils of Rock 'n' Roll, as she often did, and especially about that ridiculous, devilish, hip swiveling ELVIS!

She went on and on about it, as many mothers did in those days. "Why, Elvis can't even SING!" She would say. "Caterwaulin! That's all it is!" One day, upon hearing a golden voiced singer on the radio, she said, "Now THERE is a singer!"

Referring to 'Old Shep,' the classic folk song the golden voice was singing, and pointing at the radio with righteous conviction and certainty of irrefutable vindication, she said, "And that's a SONG!"

"Now THAT'S the kind of SONG and that's the kind of SINGER that you GIRLS ought to be LISTENING to! Not some gyrating FOOL like ELVIS!"

Well, you probably already guessed, it was Elvis singing 'Old Shep' on the radio. She didn't even believe it at first! Grandma was really ticked off by the sniggering reaction she hat gotten from her girls, rather than the respectful 'yes, momma' she had expected.

But Grandma actually, gradually, became a fan of Elvis, because a sudden revelation overcame her previously unapproachable prejudice. A REAL fan! Not just of his Gospel music, new and unexpected at the time, but of (almost) everything he sang!

My grandmother liked Elvis also. "Blue Hawaii." That's a good one for x-mas. Whahhh I miss my granny and Elvis.

Nov 28, 2011, 00:44

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:
Psi-Phi wrote:

It's impossible to remove. You raise an interesting point Psi Phi and Hito. I listen to classical music. But that doesn't mean that we're not still talking about the French Revolution, The American Revolution, The Civil War and all the accompanying "tunes" and the significance as modern music and more importantly what they original conveyed to the reactionary (subject). But it's not uncommon to incorporate history into the perspective of an era and being detached from it formulate an opinion that isn't so emotional therefore a more detached view of the music, for myself as well. I think. I've never thought about why I prefer the busyness of baroque over the melodrama of the romantic era. Could be the political times that lend to my fascination of a period.

There's a lot to learn on a universal scale as far as music goes and I'm just getting a small western European exposure. It can get expansive.

Nov 28, 2011, 00:57

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:
Psi-Phi wrote:

There's a lot to learn on a universal scale as far as music goes and I'm just getting a small western European exposure. It can get expansive.

People want to corollate your personal beliefs to why you did or didn't like a song. Unless it has subliminals telling you not to listen to it I would say , "I didn't like the song, " but you guys might be really onto something. It could have been her looks, her age, but for me it was the metered warble and the porcelain utility sales that really turned me off. But before she even began singing I said turn it off, it hurts, turn it off, don't do this to me.

Nov 28, 2011, 01:05

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index