Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Hito's Thoughtful Insight
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Hito's Thoughtful Insight

mikka000 wrote:
definitely can separate the artist from the music.

What if they were really bad? Take Charles Manson, would you listen to his albums? Would you pay money for them if you knew her was going to get some of it? Now obviously he is an extreme case but I think it gives some food for thought. If somebody was an obvious concoction of the music industry, does that not affect your judgement at all? And what about people like Jamiroquai singing about an emergency on planet earth whilst driving a ferrari? Of course, you may dislike him already but if you were inclined to like his songs and lyrics, would you not be a little bit miffed about his Ferrari?

Nov 30, 2011, 05:21

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mikka000
1083 posts

criminal history, music industry puppet or consistency between message in lyrics with reality doesn't influence me no.

I listen to black metal (look up Count Grishnackh), listen to James Brown, Fela Kuti and Miles Davis who all have a record of treating women very poorly, I own CDs by Mariah Carey and J.Lo and quite enjoy 'Canned Heat' by Jamiroquai.

I live a clean life however listen to music made by people who are known drug users too.

The life of the artists doesn't influence my listening no.

Nov 30, 2011, 11:10

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

hito wrote:
mikka000 wrote:
definitely can separate the artist from the music.

What if they were really bad? Take Charles Manson, would you listen to his albums? Would you pay money for them if you knew her was going to get some of it? Now obviously he is an extreme case but I think it gives some food for thought. If somebody was an obvious concoction of the music industry, does that not affect your judgement at all? And what about people like Jamiroquai singing about an emergency on planet earth whilst driving a ferrari? Of course, you may dislike him already but if you were inclined to like his songs and lyrics, would you not be a little bit miffed about his Ferrari?

It can nag away a bit with me if I've read unpleasant things about an artist. I've read quite a lot of music biographies (recurring theme in practically all of them - artists get badly messed about/ripped off by management/record companies). And, yes, it can be hard to listen to the music in quite the same way afterwards. Glad I was never a Gary Glitter fan in the first place!

Nov 30, 2011, 11:18

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
Glad I was never a Gary Glitter fan in the first place!

It was only ever his lyrics which were any good anyway.

Nov 30, 2011, 18:02

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Charles Manson albumÖ..that would be a trip. Iíd probably pick up a used copy for the sole reason of it probably being extremely strange.

This reminds me of this bizarre album my best friend bought me a few years ago after we watched a rather unsettling documentary about the Jim Jones massacre. Itís the recordings of the mass suicides set to ambient music. Itís unlistenable as itís only 2 or 3 extremely long tracks, but I could see one of them finding its way into a mix if it were shorter.

One artist that Iíve had trouble with for similar reasons is Nina Simone. Like a lot of people I was completely enamored when I first heard her and bought a bunch of albums. That voice! Later on I read an interview from some Canadian publication that took place at her home in rural France a few years before she died. She went on this horrible rant about how much she hates homosexuals and if she could she would line them all up and shoot them herself. I guess sheíd also shoot her shotgun at the neighboring children playing outside while she was practicing her piano. I still enjoy a random track now and then, but itís just never been the same.

Nov 30, 2011, 19:02

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

wracket wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
Glad I was never a Gary Glitter fan in the first place!

It was only ever his lyrics which were any good anyway.

Oh Wracket, come on. Come on. Come on come on came on came on...

Nov 30, 2011, 19:30

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

meanchico wrote:
Charles Manson albumÖ..that would be a trip. Iíd probably pick up a used copy for the sole reason of it probably being extremely strange.

Manson did write and record songs and they have been released in small pressings. They're not extremely strange, nor are they extremely bad, they're just 60's style singer-songwriter stuff, not bad, nothing great either, fairly boring stuff. He was trying to get a record deal for years, it was one of the reasons for the Tate murder I've heard.

Released in 1987...

Nov 30, 2011, 20:02

hito
hito
1745 posts

You da man when it comes to perception changing stories about artists. I think you need a spoiler alert ;)

I find the Jonestown thing one of the sad aspects of postmodern, gotta-shake-things-up artistry. Using the sound of people basically being killed to make some ironic musical statement is about as callous as it gets. I heard a bit of the crying on some Jonestown documentary and it was awful. Only a person who was malicious or had a kind of autistic perception of people could hear that and decide to make a record. Do I sound like Andrew Bolt?

Nov 30, 2011, 20:05

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Itís totally a half-rate attempt at stylish irony. I owned it for well over a year before I decided to give it a listen since it felt really wrong to have it in my possession. I only got through a few minutes since I really don't enjoy the sounds of people dying from cyanide poisoning.

I knew of Jim Jones and the whole kool-aid mass suicide thing, but never all the details of the creation of his cult and its horrific demise. The documentary was extremely fascinating and equally unsettling.

On a related note, I spent Thanksgiving in his hometown of Richmond, Indiana last week. O.o

Nov 30, 2011, 21:05

BOTE_
381 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
BOTE_ wrote:
Most of the times when I didn't immediately like an artist, it was because an annoying, zealous fan.

Really? Interesting. I've certainly responded that way to multilevel marketing schemes and religious proselytizers. Kind of depends on the source.

And I guess, significantly, the Object of their Enthusiasm! (Content, Context.)

The Fanatic that introduced me to Sterolab was undeniably zealous. Thankfully, not annoying.

Musically speaking, I suppose I may have been one of those zealous (and annoying) fans myself, more than once or twice. (Frank Zappa!)(Bob Marley!)(Bette Midler!) Preaching the gospel of some newly discovered exotic entertainment (Peyote!) (LSD!) (Turkish hash!) (Tiny Tim!)

Affections for some of these only grew deeper over time. Afflictions with others, mercifully, diminished.

Wannabe hipsters in school was a large reason of why I didn't listen to late 60's music for a while. They'd rant about whatever album for a while, talk about trying acid then skateboard off. And that's just in jr. high. :( lol

Nov 30, 2011, 22:41

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index