Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Hito's Thoughtful Insight
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mikka000
1084 posts

Re: Hito's Thoughtful Insight

that Jonestown record sounds horrible. I saw the doco and was disturbed enough.

As for Nina Simone, it doesn't bother me what she thinks of homosexuals and i'm a homo myself. i'll still listen to 'mississippi goddamn' and be awestruck!

Nov 30, 2011, 23:24

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

Dang….I thought I was the last remaining homo on the forum after waxenpith and jasonspaceman left.

Mississippi Goddamn is a fine song indeed. I love the narrative she provides throughout. “this is a showtune, but the show hasn’t been written fo’ it…yet”

I wonder if she fell in love with some fellow in the music industry that happened to be gay? Maybe she was just old and crazy. *shrug*

Nov 30, 2011, 23:37

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Lady Gaga Endorses Hito's Thoughtful Insight!

At least one contemporary performer has concerns that personal perceptions of the Artist may indeed influence how their Art might be perceived by fans:

"I have never felt truly cherished by a lover. I have an inability to know what happiness feels like with a man," the pop queen admits to Vanity Fair.

She does, however, keep her Little Monsters in mind when it comes to ditching her bad romances. "When I fight with someone I'm in a relationship with, I think, 'What would my fans think if they knew this was happening?,'" she says in the magazine's December issue. "'How would they feel about my work and about me as a female if they knew I was allowing this to go on?' And then I get out."

Nov 30, 2011, 23:56

Normsk
Normsk
318 posts

wracket wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
Glad I was never a Gary Glitter fan in the first place!

It was only ever his lyrics which were any good anyway.

Would you like to be touched by Gary Glitter :)

Dec 01, 2011, 00:23

mikka000
1084 posts

hmmm, i dont know about any relationships with gay men, but i do know she suffered from mental illnesses which may have something to do with her outburst you mentioned before.
who knows, who cares, just listen.
she was an amazing artist whether she likes the gays or not.

Dec 01, 2011, 04:47

mikka000
1084 posts

Re: Lady Gaga Endorses Hito's Thoughtful Insight!

i think she's overestimating her fans. :P

Dec 01, 2011, 04:48

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
Ya ken. Love it.

She sweats like a dog in a Chinese restaurant

Hung like a switchie's dog.

Dec 01, 2011, 07:23

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

hito wrote:

I find the Jonestown thing one of the sad aspects of postmodern, gotta-shake-things-up artistry. Using the sound of people basically being killed to make some ironic musical statement is about as callous as it gets. I heard a bit of the crying on some Jonestown documentary and it was awful. Only a person who was malicious or had a kind of autistic perception of people could hear that and decide to make a record. Do I sound like Andrew Bolt?

Supposedly BoC's "In a Beautiful Place out in the Country" uses samples from a Branch Davidian recruiting video. It's a far cry from using the sound of folks actually burning to death... but still a bit on the morbid side. It also makes for some really good music.

Dec 01, 2011, 07:33

hito
hito
1745 posts

mikka000 wrote:
criminal history, music industry puppet or consistency between message in lyrics with reality doesn't influence me no.

I listen to black metal (look up Count Grishnackh), listen to James Brown, Fela Kuti and Miles Davis who all have a record of treating women very poorly, I own CDs by Mariah Carey and J.Lo and quite enjoy 'Canned Heat' by Jamiroquai.

I live a clean life however listen to music made by people who are known drug users too.

The life of the artists doesn't influence my listening no.

I wonder if you can have that distance because you don't know the victims. This black metal artist is also Varg Vikernes who murdered Oystein Aarseth and burnt many churches and planned to bomb people. I for one think that if I knew any of these people or it was my church or I was a member of Blitz House then I would find it hard to listen to the music. There is so much music around that it seems little could be so essential that a listener couldn't find a substitute for a killer.
The same goes for Miles Davis et al. If he was beating up on my sister, I don't know if I would be so easily lulled by a bit of trumpet. I wonder if men and society in general are still a bit soft on spousal abuse. It has been accepted for so long in our history that we still don't react to it.
Obviously you have no limits when it comes to an artist so much of this doesn't apply to you. But for many others, I would assume these behaviours would at least make a buyer think twice.

Dec 01, 2011, 07:33

hito
hito
1745 posts

Is there any irony in the Hidden Cameras "Mississauga Goddam" given her stance on homosexuality?

Dec 01, 2011, 07:44

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index