Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best music of 2011
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Re: Best music of 2011

hito wrote:
This will make Gary look at me all askance but I just discovered The Fall (in any real sense). What a great band. I downloaded pitchfork's best of the eighties and three Fall records were in it.
Hex Enduction Hour is a great album and I love "spoilt victorian child". The Fall are one of my best discoveries of 2011

Great news, Hito!!

Hex is regarded as a classic.

If you haven't already got them get a hold of Grotesque, Slates, Room To Live, Dragnet and Live At The Witch Trials. Early Fall really is joyous!!!

Dec 08, 2011, 14:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

The Greatest wrote:

Thurston Moore, Demolished Thoughts

Sonic Youth, SYR 9: ‘Simon Werner a disparu’ bande originale du film

Loved both of these. The SYR particularly.

Can't wait for Lee's new LP (I'm not sure when it's out).

Dec 08, 2011, 14:08

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2779 posts

hito wrote:
This will make Gary look at me all askance but I just discovered The Fall (in any real sense). What a great band. I downloaded pitchfork's best of the eighties and three Fall records were in it.
Hex Enduction Hour is a great album and I love "spoilt victorian child". The Fall are one of my best discoveries of 2011

Grotesque and This Nations Saving Grace are my favorites, with TNSG being the best Fall album from start to finish, IMO.

"New Face In Hell" and "Pay Your Rates" from Grotesque are wonderful.

Dec 08, 2011, 15:30

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

thomas2 wrote:
s_lush_s wrote:

That stache should symbolize major 'arse sphincter. God that guy is the world's jerk hall of fame. Worst stache of a lifetime. Booo Thommy. sucks.

Chill TF out, Stephanie, it has gone now!

No, this guy with that moustache sued us, threatened life and limb, etc. okay I'll chill. his with his ugly 'stache smelling like booty cologne.

Dec 10, 2011, 00:08

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I didn't listen to much from 2011 if anything. I was busy catching up with the past and I'm still doing the same thing but maybe one of my new years resolutions will be to read the online zines and hear the new releases each Tuesday. and then quickly get ill. With such low expectations I'm sure to hear something pleasing.

Dec 10, 2011, 00:14

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I guess that's why I was being so facetious. There was REALLY a significant piece of music from 2011 that people will be listening to a hundred years from now...and it was Lady Gaga. She tries to make it exciting at least in her presentation.

Dec 10, 2011, 00:19

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I like that. Thanks for introducing me to this. I don't know who John Martyn is.

Dec 10, 2011, 00:24

glitz
88 posts

Crystal Castles is fun. Album II April 2011. Celestica, Suffocation and Intimate ---> like!

This from 2008 album Crystal Castles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E96ku9wwqEI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dec 10, 2011, 04:55

glitz
88 posts

Crystal Castles is fun. Album II April 2011. Celestica, Suffocation and Intimate ---> like! Here a studio and live version of Celestica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxogrT6HEyw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTR6_n4SrEs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mesmerizing! I heart the Gothic ambiance.

Dec 10, 2011, 05:15

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
Oh, I'm not much help here. I can't seem to think of a single 2011 album I've bought this year (although I've been hinting to relatives so should get one or two for Crimbo). I've been looking at everyone's lists and there are several I want and lots on my 'Must Investigate Further' list.

Thought this might be of interest to some of you - the people at Rough Trade usually know there stuff better than most:

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/content.lasso?page=STAFF_CHARTS_2011.html

Harold, I must thank you. I checked out the #1 album on the RT list. It's by Josh T. Pearson, and it's really quite stunning. Better though is an album he released with his old band 'Lift To Experience'. Just brilliant!

Dec 10, 2011, 22:00

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index