Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best music of 2011
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Best music of 2011

wasn't that from 2010??

they're pretty awesome. I listen to them a lot during the winter and when working out. they totally stole Ladytron's thunder.

Dec 10, 2011, 22:06

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

and0rod4
692 posts

i got all their albums, in truth.

Dec 11, 2011, 05:17

hito
hito
1745 posts

Love "The Classical". I am not always a fan of swearing but Smith says "fuck face" better than most. Great alliteration.

So, do they change much? Are they still good?

The stuff I have (hex, Nations, Perverted) seem to have a similar style but slight changes in production and such. They seem to sit somewhere around This Heat, Beefheart, Butthole Surfers, Pavement and Dead Kennedys to a lesser extent.

Dec 11, 2011, 07:42

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

It wasn't his tache's fault.

Dec 11, 2011, 09:08

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
Oh, I'm not much help here. I can't seem to think of a single 2011 album I've bought this year (although I've been hinting to relatives so should get one or two for Crimbo). I've been looking at everyone's lists and there are several I want and lots on my 'Must Investigate Further' list.

Thought this might be of interest to some of you - the people at Rough Trade usually know there stuff better than most:

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/content.lasso?page=STAFF_CHARTS_2011.html

Harold, I must thank you. I checked out the #1 album on the RT list. It's by Josh T. Pearson, and it's really quite stunning. Better though is an album he released with his old band 'Lift To Experience'. Just brilliant!

Oh, that was pure laziness, just posting a link rather than doing a bit of research. I need to get investigating those lists. I've been put off Josh T Pearson by the beard mostly. I need to give him a try.

Dec 11, 2011, 10:49

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
I like that. Thanks for introducing me to this. I don't know who John Martyn is.

Oh I really liked John Martyn - especially the early stuff. He started as a folky at about the same time - and on the same record label - as Nick Drake. Later he got smoother and jazzier and his singing got very stylsed and slurry and I mostly lost interest. Sadly, he rather destroyed himself with drink and drugs.

Here he:

Dec 11, 2011, 10:58

glitz
88 posts

meanchico wrote:
wasn't that from 2010??

they're pretty awesome. I listen to them a lot during the winter and when working out. they totally stole Ladytron's thunder.

The album named "II" was 2011. Celeste EP was 2010. These the only ones I own now. Ha! Ladytron should try that electronic voice effect for Helen Marnie. I listen to both groups while working out and Margerine Eclipse.:)

Dec 12, 2011, 01:33

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

hito wrote:
Love "The Classical". I am not always a fan of swearing but Smith says "fuck face" better than most. Great alliteration.

So, do they change much? Are they still good?

The stuff I have (hex, Nations, Perverted) seem to have a similar style but slight changes in production and such. They seem to sit somewhere around This Heat, Beefheart, Butthole Surfers, Pavement and Dead Kennedys to a lesser extent.

The Fall are "always different, always the same" (John Peel).

Up to 1986 and Bend Sinister, they didn't really put a foot wrong IMO. The albums from 86-96 (mid period Fall) have a more polished sound and are a bit 'weedy' in places. From Levitate (97) things got interesting. The guitars grew sharp teeth and they began to experiment with electronics.

The biggest change in the late period is MES's voice. The lyrical dexterity of the early tunes is gone, replaced by a snarl/drunken drawl. Perhaps he should get back on the amphetamine and ditch the whiskey.

Opinion on the later releases is divided. A great purchase would be the Complete Peel Sessions Box, which spans everything up to 2004.

Dec 12, 2011, 08:53

BOTE_
381 posts

New Amy Winehouse

This thread reminds me I need to go out and get it.

Dec 13, 2011, 00:08

and0rod4
692 posts

Re: New Amy Winehouse

she reminds me of my sister.
a nice jew. lets keep it at that.

Dec 13, 2011, 00:46

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index