Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Can/will Obama win a second term?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Re: de fault

BOTE_ wrote:
I always bad stuff about Carter growing up. But, looking back at it and from the 60 Minutes peice, he got more done than any other president.

Jimmy Carter seems to be, on a personal level, a sweet man. But as far as the assessment of any President of the Republic goes, it must be made on the basis of Quality, not Quantity.

'What' a President accomplishes is in my opinion more important than 'how much.'

Possibly with the best of intentions, Carter's achievements during his administration included the consequences of policies that exacerbated high inflation, high prices, high unemployment, high interest rates, and higher taxes.

Inflation coupled with economic stagnation became known as 'stagflation' a combination of gasoline shortages, rising fuel prices, long lines at the pump resulted in fistfights, gunfire, murder and mayhem. Carter lowered the prestige and perceived political power of the US, gave away the Panama Canal, waffled on the capture of the Embassy in Iran, followed by a horribly botched helicopter rescue attempt (and finally, Billy Beer.)

No wonder Reagan got elected.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Dec 18, 2011, 23:05

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

Inflation coupled with economic stagnation became known as 'stagflation' a combination of gasoline shortages, rising fuel prices, long lines at the pump resulted in fistfights, gunfire, murder and mayhem...

Wow, what an exaggeration.

Dec 19, 2011, 05:38

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
Inflation coupled with economic stagnation became known as 'stagflation' a combination of gasoline shortages, rising fuel prices, long lines at the pump resulted in fistfights, gunfire, murder and mayhem...

cyberpainter wrote:

Well, not really. There should have been a period after 'stagflation,' but both statements are equally true. Facts are facts. Gasoline prices jumped 300% during Carter's administration. Gas was 35 cents a gallon when Carter was elected, and over a dollar per gallon when he left office.

Insanity at the gas pump, including all the atrocities listed in my statement, are well documented. OPEC began to rule the Earth.

Perhaps you are upset because you think that I think that Carter or Democrats are to blame, but the criminal stupidity started with Government price controls set up under Nixon and Ford.

I am not partisan about criminal stupidity by Government, I'm simply against it. Absolutely.

You must have read what I said about Carter being a sweet man. What I wrote overall was observation rather than condemnation. (If exaggeration, not without a touch of gentle humor, as indicated by my reference to Billy Beer.)

Dec 19, 2011, 06:58

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
Psi-Phi wrote:

cyberpainter wrote:

Well, not really. There should have been a period after 'stagflation,' but both statements are equally true. Facts are facts. Gasoline prices jumped 300% during Carter's administration. Gas was 35 cents a gallon when Carter was elected, and over a dollar per gallon when he left office.

Insanity at the gas pump, including all the atrocities listed in my statement, are well documented. OPEC began to rule the Earth.

Perhaps you are upset because you think that I think that Carter or Democrats are to blame, but the criminal stupidity started with Government price controls set up under Nixon and Ford.

I am not partisan about criminal stupidity by Government, I'm simply against it. Absolutely.

You must have read what I said about Carter being a sweet man. What I wrote overall was observation rather than condemnation. (If exaggeration, not without a touch of gentle humor, as indicated by my reference to Billy Beer.)

I'm referring to you saying their was murder and mayhem in the US due to gas shortages and gas lines in the 70's. Show me proof and direct correlation there. And hopefully more than one or two incidents so you can refute my exaggeration claim.

Dec 19, 2011, 07:14

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

In New York City in 1973, cars line up for scarce gas. Arab oil exporters declared an embargo on countries that supported Israel in Mideast war.

Dec 19, 2011, 07:19

Psi-Phi
Psi-Phi
182 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:

In New York City in 1973, cars line up for scarce gas. Arab oil exporters declared an embargo on countries that supported Israel in Mideast war.

Dec 19, 2011, 07:21

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Psi-Phi wrote:
Psi-Phi wrote:

During the NIXON administration, the oil embargo happened.

This is not proof of murder and mayhem, just a line.

Dec 19, 2011, 15:26

BOTE_
381 posts

Dec 20, 2011, 00:03

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Carter wasnt even in office in 73.

Dec 20, 2011, 04:28

neprneprtune
neprneprtune
13 posts

Re: Can/will Obama win a second term?

I am reminded that my true home is off-planet when listening to the Republican candidates. On what primoridal sphere do they reside to not see the writing on the wall of ludicrousity. Obama, would be a hero on my world simply for speaking with common sense and logic. Let us not forget his achievements, the Patient Protection and Afordable Act and it's admendment passed into law in 2010, The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

I find it interesting that taxes on such activities as commercial indoor tanning help to pay for his program.

Generic medicines are accepted and medical insurance companies are required to offer the same low premiums regardless of geographical location and subsidies are offered to assist low income participants!

Dec 20, 2011, 05:30

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index