Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
NYC setlist: 10-03
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mojique
6 posts

NYC setlist: 10-03

The setlist from the 10-03 show in NYC. Only one song was different from last night ("Valley Hi!" instead of "Self Portrait..."), unfortunately:

Percolator
Neon Beanbag
Eye of the Volcano
Mountain
Chemical Chords
Valley Hi!
Ping Pong
Double Rocker
Ecstatic Static
Lo Boob Oscillator
Two Finger Symphony (this was a new song...pretty sure this is what Laetitia called it)
Three Women
French Disco
Cybele's Reverie
John Cage Bubblegum

---

Silver Sands
The Emergency Kisses
Stomach Worm

Oct 04, 2008, 16:12

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

archimago
2 posts

Re: NYC setlist: 10-03

I've been a huge Lab fan since the first days and have never missed a tour. Last night's show was terrible. I left after Oscillator because I didn't want to end up hating them and wanted to remember all of the shows that left me amazed.

The sound was terrible. Laetitia was barely understandable even when speaking, and whoever that guy was who was singing background falsetto surely has Mary rolling over in her grave. Double Rocker, one of my favorites, was a mess. Chemical Chords was painful to listen to. It's almost as if they didn't rehearse or something. No horns, even.

There were moments when they hit a groove and you can tell they still could be a forceful live band, but the first half of the show was a disaster. If someone comes on and says the second half was amazing, I still won't regret leaving.

And maybe I am just getting old, but not going on until 11? And making us listen to Anti-Pop Consortium was just wrong. They sucked worse than the Lab.

They used to pack Irving Plaza three nights in a row. Last night was not sold out, not even close. I was upstairs and there were maybe 50 people up there.

Oct 04, 2008, 18:20

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

wow this is the first really bad review of the show. I guess the others around here disagree?

Oct 04, 2008, 19:44

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Well, I was there at the same show, and while I agree there were some things shaky about certain moments of the set, I thought as a whole it was really good. Chemical Chords, which is my favorite track on the cd, did end up coming off a little tentative, but I thought the end of Double Rocker totally killed it. And as much as I thought I wouldn't be into the male back up vocals, I thought the guy did a great job. Nothing amazing, but a nice filling in of the parts. Also, Irving Plaza is known for its shitty sound, and the groop definitely looked like they were struggling with the sound, and with the sound men. I mean, just look at the guys who work there and their line up when Stereolab aren't there. Sevendust? Avenged Sevenfold? Geez, wonder what they thought of this odd cinematic electro pop group.

And I personally thought Anti-Pop totally ruled. The opening of their set was really amazing, and they really got the "too cool for you" New York crowd going.

I wouldn't say the Lab were on the top of their game, but I think it was a good show.

Oct 04, 2008, 20:53

palinuro
palinuro
182 posts

another review (with laundy bag photo)

http://soundbites.typepad.com/soundbites/2008/10/stereolab_irvingplaza.html

by the way: 50 peoples?.... i don?t think so

Oct 05, 2008, 00:36

mikka000
1083 posts

maybe two finger symphony was a joke. sounds to me like she was referencing the British version of what the Americans call 'the finger'.
true or not, it's a nice play on words.

Oct 05, 2008, 03:17

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

The laundry bag certainly is one of the more bizarre things they've offered. :)

Oct 05, 2008, 10:23