Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Now Playing
Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Re: Now Playing

Scritti Politti, Will Oldham, Gary Numan, Big Black, The Soundcarriers, Television, etc...

May 26, 2011, 15:51

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

k.
k.
407 posts

Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Rome OST

Honestly, with the exception of a handful of artists, I have lost just about all interest in new music during 2011. I can't explain it, whether it's burnout, or merely the sense of ubiquitous deriviateness, there has been so so little which stands out. Today, at of all places a nearby FYE where I go exclusively to search the used DVDs while toning out the usual in-store assault of big-label shit ranging from Rod Stewart live concerts to your interchangeable top-40 auto-tune crud, I got shot in the head by this one. Definitely has a vintage late-60s/early-70s soundtrack quality, lush and baroque, at times I wondered whether Morricone or Vannier or Barry wasn't being sampled. Even Jack White and Norah Jones cannot diminish the beauty of these little productions. Think AIR, Hylozoists, Gane/O'Hagan, Burgalat.

Probably not as great as I'm making it out to be, but the combination of the setting (FYE) and the dearth of new music with any heart made this one stand out.

Jun 09, 2011, 21:54

78_sluss_s
78_sluss_s
227 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
I really like that Tame Impala.

they suck

Jun 13, 2011, 20:18

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Well I guess it's just you and I in this forum anymore anyways. It's like that movie Enemy Mine. Maybe we'll have a reptile baby.

Jun 13, 2011, 20:42

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

k. wrote:
Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi - Rome OST

Honestly, with the exception of a handful of artists, I have lost just about all interest in new music during 2011. I can't explain it, whether it's burnout, or merely the sense of ubiquitous deriviateness, there has been so so little which stands out. Today, at of all places a nearby FYE where I go exclusively to search the used DVDs while toning out the usual in-store assault of big-label shit ranging from Rod Stewart live concerts to your interchangeable top-40 auto-tune crud, I got shot in the head by this one. Definitely has a vintage late-60s/early-70s soundtrack quality, lush and baroque, at times I wondered whether Morricone or Vannier or Barry wasn't being sampled. Even Jack White and Norah Jones cannot diminish the beauty of these little productions. Think AIR, Hylozoists, Gane/O'Hagan, Burgalat.

Probably not as great as I'm making it out to be, but the combination of the setting (FYE) and the dearth of new music with any heart made this one stand out.

Interesting review, glad I didn't have to suffer with fye to get it... I'll definitely check it out.

Jun 14, 2011, 17:34

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Sylvain Chauveau: The Black Book of Capitalism.
BVDUB: The Art of Dying Alone.
Ian Dury and the Blockheads: Do It Yourself.
Stereolab: Chemical Chords.
Labradford: Fixed Context.
Tubeway Army: Replicas.
Hawkwind: Warrior on the Edge of Time.
Stereolab: Mars Audiac Quintet.
Buzzcocks: Spiral Scratch.
Can: Landed.

Jun 15, 2011, 02:58

baseRelief
baseRelief
45 posts

I love it when the Clash has that kinda Reggae groove.

Jun 15, 2011, 17:45

78_sluss_s
78_sluss_s
227 posts

Morris Albert "Feelings"

Jun 15, 2011, 18:16

k.
k.
407 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Interesting review, glad I didn't have to suffer with fye to get it... I'll definitely check it out.

Well, a week or so later I think that this album, this soundtrack to an imaginary film, this 5-year labor of love, it's a work of art.

Jun 18, 2011, 22:11

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

k. wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:

Well, a week or so later I think that this album, this soundtrack to an imaginary film, this 5-year labor of love, it's a work of art.

I agree. I think the vocals will take a while to get used to, don't like their sound too much, but the music is good enough to make me listen through it. Besides the Italian soundtrack influences, I hear Blonde Redhead Misery is a Butterfly in there sometimes. Of course they were influenced too. Now if the vocals were Kazu, I'd be in heaven. :) This will definitely get repeat listens, thanks for the heads up k.

Jun 19, 2011, 09:28

Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index