Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Atheism
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: Atheism

By theism I do not mean "man in the sky," though that definition would be inlcuded within the use of the term as I'm using it. By theism I mean belief in a deity that is present and actively intervening in the universe (answering prayers, intervening in human affairs, doling out tragedies, guiding evolution, helping athletes score touchdowns, etc.). The universe appears indifferent to me, and evolution unguided and not point toward anything in particular.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

*pointed

Jun 25, 2012, 04:32

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Kazak wrote:
By theism I do not mean "man in the sky," though that definition would be inlcuded within the use of the term as I'm using it. By theism I mean belief in a deity that is present and actively intervening in the universe (answering prayers, intervening in human affairs, doling out tragedies, guiding evolution, helping athletes score touchdowns, etc.). The universe appears indifferent to me, and evolution unguided and not point toward anything in particular.

Then by your definition I am not a theist.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:34

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

The Greatest wrote:
Kazak wrote:

And that sounds like "man in the sky" to me...that kind of God behaves as a man in the sky would behave, even if he's not one.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:35

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

The Greatest wrote:
Kazak wrote:

*atheist high-five*

Jun 25, 2012, 04:37

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Am I misinterpreting the term?

Jun 25, 2012, 04:41

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Kazak wrote:
Am I misinterpreting the term?

I think you might be. I'm happy to admit I'm not a theist if I'm really not one, but that won't stop me from "worshipping God," since it's my favorite thing to do.

I see God as the conscious, animating force within and beyond all things, toward which we evolve and grow...as in Christ's parable of the tiny mustard seed that grows into a tree that shelters the birds.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:52

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

You just agreed to the idea that evolution is not pointed, and then asserted that evolution is pointed.

Jun 25, 2012, 04:55

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Kazak wrote:
You just agreed to the idea that evolution is not pointed, and then asserted that evolution is pointed.

I wasn't agreeing to that part. I was agreeing with you that God is not "actively intervening in the universe." I think we can still evolve toward God without him having to intervene, since we are "made in his image," meaning that we are essentially divine.

I don't believe in a God who answers prayers, intervenes in human affairs, doles out tragedies, and helps athletes score touchdowns.

Jun 25, 2012, 05:04

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I find the God language superfluous. We need to apply Occam's Razor. There's no God in the universe, there's just the universe. What is God inside of? It's turtles all the way down.

Jun 25, 2012, 05:08

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index