Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Atheism
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: Atheism

hito wrote:
jauntymonty wrote:
calapia wrote:
jauntymonty wrote:
Just to cut to the chase, when you die your are dead meat. There is no hereafter. The whole concept of God was to give hope to those who can't deal with death ...so rest easy, in death you go to another plane of life.

I'm sorry - and what is your proof of this? Please don't mistake me as religious, but if you are an atheist, and "believe" in what you say, and mock religious people for believing in a hereafter, what proof do YOU have that this is what happens after death? Isn't the disturbing truth that we don't know with any certainty what happens after death?

Scientific research proves their isn't treasure at the end of the rainbow. Refracted light in drops of moisture. We are left to form opinions about a god without such study. So, there you go. Acknowledged. I was inadvertently mocking as you say. Actually, I respect con opinions. It is a fucking miracle that we exist. Accident.

Science doesn't prove there isn't treasure, it merely provides an alternate and more feasible answer. I cannot prove that there isn't a monster in my cupboard that disappears every time I look in there but I can Duse science to suggest that it is highly unlikely. There is no proof that there isn't a god.

Agreed! God was created so people would have faith that an eternal life of warmth and joy was behind those clouds.

Jun 25, 2012, 05:26

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Kazak wrote:
I find the God language superfluous. We need to apply Occam's Razor. There's no God in the universe, there's just the universe. What is God inside of? It's turtles all the way down.

its confusing language to me. why would one believe we are "evolving toward god?" its really just made up - wishful thinking IMO.

“If a man’s imagination were not so weak, so easily tired, if his capacity for wonder not so limited, he would abandon forever such fantasies of the supernal. He would learn to perceive in water, leaves and silence more than sufficient of the absolute and marvelous, more than enough to console him for the loss of the ancient dreams.”

“God? … There is nothing here, at the moment, but me and the desert. And that’s the truth. Why confuse the issue by dragging in a superfluous entity? Occam’s razor. Beyond atheism, nontheism. I am not an atheist but an earthiest. Be true to the earth.”

again, EA

Jun 25, 2012, 14:53

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Kazak wrote:
I find the God language superfluous. We need to apply Occam's Razor. There's no God in the universe, there's just the universe. What is God inside of? It's turtles all the way down.

If the universe sprang from nothing and returns to nothing, then God is the "nothing" from which it sprang. This is an ancient teaching. Kabbalists refer to God as the No-Thing.

Jun 25, 2012, 16:38

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

[quote="Mars Rover"] its confusing language to me. why would one believe we are "evolving toward god?" its really just made up - wishful thinking IMO.

If you look at all life forms from the least complex to the most complex, you'll see that there is a greater consciousness and ability in a human than there is in a microbe. If we have evolved from simple beings into more complex beings, then why is it wishful thinking to believe that process will continue?

Jun 25, 2012, 16:44

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Not necessarily disagreeing here, but this is, however, not theism. I'm pretty neutral to this line of thinking.

Jun 25, 2012, 17:46

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Kazak wrote:
Not necessarily disagreeing here, but this is, however, not theism. I'm pretty neutral to this line of thinking.

I think what we have is a semantic difference. Maybe what I call God you call reality. I have no problem with praying or talking about God, and I think those things have real power. I also believe that there is something powerful in our rituals and our traditions about God, and that we shouldn't just throw them out.

Jun 25, 2012, 17:49

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

The Greatest wrote:
[quote="Mars Rover"] its confusing language to me. why would one believe we are "evolving toward god?" its really just made up - wishful thinking IMO.

If you look at all life forms from the least complex to the most complex, you'll see that there is a greater consciousness and ability in a human than there is in a microbe. If we have evolved from simple beings into more complex beings, then why is it wishful thinking to believe that process will continue?

yes, i know the process of evolution, i'm confused by the "toward god" part.

Jun 25, 2012, 19:48

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

The Greatest wrote:
Kazak wrote:

I think what we have is a semantic difference. Maybe what I call God you call reality. I have no problem with praying or talking about God, and I think those things have real power. I also believe that there is something powerful in our rituals and our traditions about God, and that we shouldn't just throw them out.

ok, really confused now. didn't you say this earlier:

"I don't believe in a God who answers prayers, intervenes in human affairs, doles out tragedies, and helps athletes score touchdowns."

and now this:

"I think those things have real power."

???

Jun 25, 2012, 19:50

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
The Greatest wrote:
Kazak wrote:

ok, really confused now. didn't you say this earlier:

"I don't believe in a God who answers prayers, intervenes in human affairs, doles out tragedies, and helps athletes score touchdowns."

and now this:

"I think those things have real power."

???

Yes, I did say that. I don't believe the power of prayer comes from some imaginary God "out there" who intervenes in human affairs. I believe it comes from the vibrations created by the prayer. And ritual does have power. By traditions I mean the rituals and customs passed down by the church, not prayers at football games.

Jun 25, 2012, 20:36

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
The Greatest wrote:

yes, i know the process of evolution, i'm confused by the "toward god" part.

I have consciousness, but I don't have consciousness of all things at once because my perspective is limited. As I evolve spiritually, however, my awareness of things around me grows and so does my responsibility. I begin to see a larger picture. I believe that God is the unity and interconnectedness of all things, the web of life, or consciousness itself.

Jun 25, 2012, 20:39

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index