Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Thoughts on Silencio?
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

diskkoholic
diskkoholic
22 posts

Thoughts on Silencio?

I don't know if you all heard it in it's entirety, but i was wondering what your thoughts are on Silencio.

I, personally, already love this album so much. I really liked The Trip but this one seems to have even more depth and staying power for some reason. It feels like Laetitia shows us more what she's capable of here. The songs that are 100% 'Laetitia-like' are the best she's written so far as I'm concerned: The Rule Of The Game, There Is A Price For Freedom. And the songs where she lets us hear she was proud to be in Stereolab are just magnificent, how can you not love Next Time You See Me or Fragment Pour Le Future De L'Homme? So peppy and sunny. Really adore Invitation To Silence as well in all it's mysterious elegance.

Jul 11, 2012, 20:20

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: Thoughts on Silencio?

Only heard about half of it so far.

Find me the Pulse... is terrific.

Much of the rest I find slightly clumsy so far (as opposed to the Trip, which was gorgeous).

Jul 12, 2012, 00:03

diskkoholic
diskkoholic
22 posts

Clumsy, really? That's interesting, what exactly do you think is clumsy about it? Don't care much for Lightning Thunderbolt myself.

Jul 12, 2012, 00:06

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

A lot of times, I find, things don't necessarily make sense until put into context of the whole. I have not heard the album yet (out of town, on vacation).

Jul 12, 2012, 00:15

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I was pleasantly surprised from the first time I listened to it a few days ago. It seems more fully realized than The Trip, which I love, but always felt a bit unfinished to me. My one criticism is that I wish she’d draw out her words more in a couple songs. Laetitia’s voice sounds the best when it has space to breath and isn’t hurried. All and all, I think it’s a brilliant album. Song-specific thoughts:

The Rule of the Game – the opening wordless vocals remind me of Morricone. This one is really growing on me.

Find me the Pulse…. – totally love this track. As others have pointed out, it sounds very Stereolab-esque so of course I love it. It’s been stuck in my head since I bought it off iTunes a month ago. I totally thought Tim Gane wrote this song.

Silent Spot – the 1:00-1:15 sounds….I want more of them! A whole song of just that! Short, spacey, lovely.

Auscultation to the Nation – I think I would like this song a lot more if the lyrics were different. I’m sort of with those who aren’t as fond of the political stuff. The rhythm are energy are great nonetheless.

There is a Price…. – I love how she sings in this song THE MOST. The moment where she sings “a reflection in merchandiiiiiise” is euphoric. This song reminds me a lot of Monstre Cosmic which I still consider her masterpiece.

Moi Sans Zach – sort of a simple, samba interlude. I was happy to hear the French lyrics. It feels like a sunny, lazy summer afternoon.

Between Earth and Heaven – I feel the same about this as I do with “Auscultation.” Love the bones, but struggle slightly with the lyrics.

Lightnight Thunderbolt – Another one that reminds me of Monstre Cosmic (in a great way). A nighttime song. There was a video on YouTube briefly for this. Swirling images, Laetitia dancing.

Fragment pour… - this is the track that will grab most everyone. There’s funk, layers, drums…..god, she sounds great. I totally hear 80’s R&B in this song.

Merci de…. – I keep hearing the theme song to Days of Our Lives in this! There’s something slightly menacing about this song. The 2nd half is sublime. Totally a Stereolabby transition and upswing. Love it.

Next Time You See Me – It makes me think of Tim and Laetitia as friends. That’s a great thing. So cool he wrote this for her. I hope we see them together again.

Invitation au Silence – So haunting! I instantly heard old Brigitte Fontaine. I love the duality of the French/English lyrics. A voice, a whisper. The lyrics are really striking. I stayed up late listening to this over and over by myself the other night. With each listen it became more powerful.

Jul 12, 2012, 00:30

vivakomeda
744 posts

I'll wait until I hear the whole thing to elaborate. Her songwriting is a little clumsy sometimes, for example the non-musical interlude in "There is a price to pay...". But it can be really great at times too

Jul 12, 2012, 02:23

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Thanks meanchico, fantastic descriptions.

Jul 12, 2012, 06:00

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

(waiting patiently for proper CD release)

*stands by window, gazing into the far distance*

*sighs*

Jul 12, 2012, 15:39

diskkoholic
diskkoholic
22 posts

Hey Meanchico, thanks for your track by track-thoughts, those are always the most interesting to read i think. I agree on the lyrics to Auscultation, they feel a little clunky and don't really seem to fit in or something. But the melody is actually kind of gorgeous and melancholy, it has really grown on me. I think it's kind of weird though that I'm not as blown away by Find Me The Pulse Of The Universe as everybody here.. I do like the song but it doesn't naturally stand out for me as Fragment Pour Le Future does, which I think would have been an absolute stand out if it were included on Not Music for instance... I really really love the Parsec-like multitracked backingvocals. Such a gorgeous touch.

Jul 13, 2012, 00:26

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

Now that you hype it up so much( not in a negative way), I am really looking forward to listen to Fragment Pour Le Future ( since Parsec has been in my top 10 stereolab list)..agree with your thought on Find Me the Pulse too. Can any one tell me the official release date for that?

Jul 14, 2012, 00:13

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index