Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
20 worst bands ever
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

I don't know that taking an opposing POV means somebody is not "light". I don't see a stir so much as a range of opinions being shared.

Aug 28, 2012, 04:45


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

hito wrote:
I don't know that taking an opposing POV means somebody is not "light". I don't see a stir so much as a range of opinions being shared.


i'm sorry, maybe its lost in translation, but i have no a problem with the opinion, but it just seems it made people mad for some reason, which is what i have trouble understanding.

Aug 28, 2012, 05:03


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

No, I just thought it'd be somehow clever or insightful rather than just empty hateful snark

Aug 28, 2012, 06:19


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

vivakomeda wrote:
No, I just thought it'd be somehow clever or insightful rather than just empty hateful snark


alrighty then

i don't need everything to be supremely intellectual to be entertaining. tommy boy is one of my favorite movies. :)

Aug 28, 2012, 06:22


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

Mars Rover wrote:
vivakomeda wrote:
No, I just thought it'd be somehow clever or insightful rather than just empty hateful snark


alrighty then

i don't need everything to be supremely intellectual to be entertaining. tommy boy is one of my favorite movies. :)


and as far as the snarky part - thats what makes it funny to me. are we really concerned about the feelings of 4 Non Blondes? why does this matter? just curious on your take or others because i'm obviously struggling with this. enlighten me.

Aug 28, 2012, 06:37


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

"Band X has a most annoying name and their sound isn't far behind. The group's magnum crapus, Album A, is a collection of sonic refuse cobbled into atonal melodies and rhythms that fail to approximate tunefulness. That the album won the 2011 Pazz and Jop awards is a testament to the emperor has no clothes phenomenon that continues to afflict music writing"

I think this is an example of what is not funny. It could be about anyone or anything. Other than a few plays with font, the "review" is just a smear without substance. Magnum Crapus?

"Where Journey was a hit factory, The Beatles are the sweatshop equivalent, churning out shoddy products full of lead paint. "Strawberry Fields" is no "Pinball Wizard"; "All you need is love" will make you wish you didn't; "Hello Goodbye" will hopefully be goodbye; "What goes on" is not about fellatio; "Revolution" is not that; "Dr Robert," will send you to the doctor. "Here comes the sun"? Maybe, but if you've got The Beatles on the playlist, it won't be coming up."

This is just wordplay. Whether you like Foreigner or not, they had plenty of hits that people still like. Their "review" is just lame http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=3.

Aug 28, 2012, 07:00


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

And pushpullpop hits the nail on the head:

pushpullpop
behold the hypstercrites at LA Weekly!

the following links are to articles where the LA Weekly kisses every one of these bands' asses (except for fun. because, yeah, they do actually suck). some of the bands even made LA Weekly's Best of lists and a few were hired by LA Weekly to headline their shows.

in true hipster fashion the LA Weekly hates when their fav bands get popular. maybe if you hadn't written such glowing reviews about them they would kept playing your friend's basement.

The LA Weekly booked the Black Keys to headline their SXSW party.
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2008/02/black_keys_at_la_weekly_villag.php

Top 10 Indie Rock Albums of 2008, TV on the Radio Dear Science
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2008/12/top_10_indie_rock_albums_of_20.php

Glowing review for Death Cab for Cutie
http://www.laweekly.com/2003-11-20/music/modestly-universal/

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-05-05/music/tune-yards-w-h-o-k-i-l-l-21st-century-soul-music/

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, “Ten Best LA Releases 2009”
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2009/08/ten_best_la_releases_2009_ii.php

“This year deserved praise has been heaped upon Frank Ocean's debut Channel Orange, the Flaming Lips' blood vinyl project and Beach House's Bloom.”
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/07/beach_house_-_el_rey_-_7312_1.php?page=2

Beach House make Best Album of the Year (2008)
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2008/12/the_50_best_albums_of_the_year.php

Bon Iver #5 on The Best Los Angeles Concerts of 2011
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/12/the_best_los_angeles_concerts.php

“Straight to the point:Neon Bible, the Arcade Fire’s sophomore album, is fabulous.”
http://www.laweekly.com/2007-03-08/music/illuminating-the-manuscripts/

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2008/07/on_their_grizzly_bear.php

Beirut – Music Pick & #18 Top Album of 2007
http://www.laweekly.com/2008-05-29/music/music-picks-beirut-the-cure-jonathan-richman/
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2007/12/weiss_top_50_albums_of_2007_20.php

“In our music feature this week we profile Ariel Pink, the enigmatic Beverly Hills-raised rocker whose 4AD-released latest album Mature Themes is one of the year's best.”
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/08/ariel_pink_los_angeles_mature_themes.php

Positive review for Wavves:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2010/07/stream_wavves_album_king_of_the_beach.php

The Airborne Toxic Event headline LA Weekly’s Own L.A. 101 Concert
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/07/la_weekly_la_101_airborne_toxi.php
http://www.laweekly.com/2011-10-20/music/airborne-toxic-event-want-you-on-the-edge-of-their-seat/2/

The White Rabbits show at the El Rey, 2009 – “one of the best performances we've seen lately at that venue or elsewhere.”
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2009/11/white_rabbits_glass_ghosts_loc.php
Rock Pick: June, 2009
http://www.laweekly.com/2009-06-11/music/rock-picks-sly-robbie-johanna-kunin-white-rabbits-daniel-francis-doyle/3/

The Decemberists:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2008/11/the_decemberists_bring_it_like.php

“This tension between mirth and menace makes Sleigh Bells the year's most compelling new band.”
http://www.laweekly.com/2010-10-14/music/do-not-adjust-your-ipod/

Aug 28, 2012, 07:02


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

I think it's just individual writers, they aren't necessarily the same people who wrote the other articles. Or does the LA Weekly always have to solidly express the same viewpoint by everyone who writes for them? That seems unnecessary, and more of a waste of time to read than the original worst of list.

Aug 28, 2012, 10:38


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

hito wrote:
"Band X has a most annoying name and their sound isn't far behind. The group's magnum crapus, Album A, is a collection of sonic refuse cobbled into atonal melodies and rhythms that fail to approximate tunefulness. That the album won the 2011 Pazz and Jop awards is a testament to the emperor has no clothes phenomenon that continues to afflict music writing"

I think this is an example of what is not funny. It could be about anyone or anything. Other than a few plays with font, the "review" is just a smear without substance. Magnum Crapus?

"Where Journey was a hit factory, The Beatles are the sweatshop equivalent, churning out shoddy products full of lead paint. "Strawberry Fields" is no "Pinball Wizard"; "All you need is love" will make you wish you didn't; "Hello Goodbye" will hopefully be goodbye; "What goes on" is not about fellatio; "Revolution" is not that; "Dr Robert," will send you to the doctor. "Here comes the sun"? Maybe, but if you've got The Beatles on the playlist, it won't be coming up."

This is just wordplay. Whether you like Foreigner or not, they had plenty of hits that people still like. Their "review" is just lame http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=3.



Of course it's just wordplay. But it was a wee bit more interesting than your examples here, just a tad. I am not fond of worst of lists myself, or best of lists for that matter...

Aug 28, 2012, 10:41


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

vivakomeda wrote:
There's "taking the piss" and then there's just mean-spirited, adolescent snark.

An LA nobody writing about bands like that is self-evidently absurd. Who the hell is he?



What famous musical writers who take the piss, do you read regularly?

Aug 28, 2012, 10:48

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index