Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
20 worst bands ever
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: 20 worst bands ever

I'm in two minds about this: on the one hand, music criticism clearly should not be an excuse to act like an arsehole in print. On the other hand, a fair bit of music that is horribly ubiquitous just inspires feelings of loathing and resentment in some of the music listeners. So when some snarky writer slags off Foreigner, it might feel cathartic to anyone perpetually peeved off by "I Want to Know What Love is". Human nature, we love to choose sides. Who hates Foreigner as much as we do, is on our side. ;)

Aug 28, 2012, 10:55

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Sure, there are different writers and all that.
This is the same as pitchfork which seems to be mercilessly attacked on this forum for the views expressed by certain writers i.e. the review of Cobra.
I guess there is usually some philosophy behind a masthead but I could be wrong, having never read LA weekly. I am sure different people write for Vice magazine but its seems to have an overall arrogant sneering at everyone attitude. I guess I assumed that LA Weekly had some MO but I am happy to stand corrected.
I also note that I didn't read any of the writers specifically slagging LA Weekly and its other demented columnists.
So, it is true that LA Weekly can have different writers expressing different opinions but there is some food for thought.

Aug 28, 2012, 14:13

hito
hito
1745 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
hito wrote:
"Band X has a most annoying name and their sound isn't far behind. The group's magnum crapus, Album A, is a collection of sonic refuse cobbled into atonal melodies and rhythms that fail to approximate tunefulness. That the album won the 2011 Pazz and Jop awards is a testament to the emperor has no clothes phenomenon that continues to afflict music writing"

I think this is an example of what is not funny. It could be about anyone or anything. Other than a few plays with font, the "review" is just a smear without substance. Magnum Crapus?

"Where Journey was a hit factory, The Beatles are the sweatshop equivalent, churning out shoddy products full of lead paint. "Strawberry Fields" is no "Pinball Wizard"; "All you need is love" will make you wish you didn't; "Hello Goodbye" will hopefully be goodbye; "What goes on" is not about fellatio; "Revolution" is not that; "Dr Robert," will send you to the doctor. "Here comes the sun"? Maybe, but if you've got The Beatles on the playlist, it won't be coming up."

This is just wordplay. Whether you like Foreigner or not, they had plenty of hits that people still like. Their "review" is just lame http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=3.

Of course it's just wordplay. But it was a wee bit more interesting than your examples here, just a tad. I am not fond of worst of lists myself, or best of lists for that matter...

Clearly it is more interesting than mine but I wasn't suggesting that my five minute cloze exercise effort was art. I simply did it to make a point about how juxtaposing song titles with insults was lame. Somebody spent a significant amount of time on this "demolition" of Foreigner and probably got paid for it.
The same with Tuneyards; the writer offered no insight into the music. They as well have written "I hate Tuneyards and I am right"

Aug 28, 2012, 14:22

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
What famous musical writers who take the piss, do you read regularly?

Slushy

Aug 28, 2012, 14:27

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
What famous musical writers who take the piss, do you read regularly?

c in dc wrote:

Slushy

Slushies only famous in her own mind (thank allah).

Aug 28, 2012, 17:59

vivakomeda
744 posts

Tommy Boy is a fine picture, no argument there.

Snark is a very poor man's irony. Hell, it's a very poor man's sarcasm. It infests writing all over the internet and beyond these days. It operates on a false premise - that the writer has more affinity for his reader than he does for his subject, ANY subject, on the basis that the reader and writer have fundamentally identical value sets.

Aug 29, 2012, 00:12

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Snark. I was wondering why the spell checking systems on my laptop thought I was making typing errors when I wrote "snarky". It turns out that snark itself is a relatively new term, only a century old. It is in fact a contraction of "snide remark". And apparently Snark itself is recognizable as a name: from Lewis Carroll's "The Hunting of the Snark".

Aug 29, 2012, 00:27

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

I totally agree with the "hipster" bands list. Dead on, actually. Many of these bands seem to have members who like to whine and moan like the world is so dead interested in their vapid, "literate" lyrics, while they walk around wearing Beatles boots, top-hats and dank old thrift-store velvet jackets or whatever while playing accordions and steam powered organs. Being a grouchy old man I can really get behind the criticism on the list. Where was Sufjan Stevens on that list? He seems to fit the bill, but I guess he's not popular these days? Joanne Newsom?

The "regular" worst-of list is strange and jumbled, but there are worthy participants, for sure. I mean, Hootie and Dave Matthews are typical (no brainers), but putting Animal Collective next to The Eagles is weird, but fuck it, I don't care for either. Do that many people listen to LCD Soundsystem? I would have expected them/him to be on the "hipster" list, no?

And yes, Tommy Boy is a classic!! Chris Farley was amazing.

Aug 29, 2012, 06:08

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Booklover wrote:

"Conor Oberst has been straining to open an impossibly sealed mason jar for about 14 years now."

That's pretty funny.

Aug 29, 2012, 07:05

hito
hito
1745 posts

The one I agree with is Bon Iver

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/08/worst_hipster_bands_all_time_c.php?page=7

but that is because the first half of it pretty much agrees with my previously stated opinion

http://stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/4117/flat/10/

The second part is a bit nastier than I was. I don't hate Bon Iver, I just don't think he is that noteworthy.

Aug 29, 2012, 14:01

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index