Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
YOKOKIMTHURSTON
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

YOKOKIMTHURSTON

Music Review: 'YOKOKIMTHURSTON' a weary creation
By PAUL J. WEBER
Associated Press
Published: Friday, Sep. 28, 2012 - 8:49 am

Yoko Ono, Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, "YOKOKIMTHURSTON" (Chimera)

There are no songs on "YOKOKIMTHURSTON." This is a practical heads-up before firing up this mess of a collaboration between Yoko Ono and Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore.

There are tracks - six of them, and none shorter than seven minutes. There are chants and groans and poetry and Ono making witchy moans that are about as spooky as one of those $5 haunted houses that spring up every Halloween.

Underneath that is familiar Sonic Youth territory: scraping and scratchy guitars, tinny plinks and plucks, pleasing noise. But there's never a satisfying end waiting around the corner as Gordon and Moore mostly stay in the backseat, having recorded this project a few months before announcing their split last year that's put the future of Sonic Youth in doubt.

"YOKOKIMTHURSTON" is avant-garde by a trio who's carved a career out of making avant-garde palatable to mainstream tastes. But this is art-show fare without melody.

CHECK OUT THIS TRACK: More in the vein of "Mirror Mirror" should've been where all this improvisation was headed in the first place. Gordon's pure voice plays off well when Ono is speaking instead of shrieking.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/28/4863261/music-review-yokokimthurston-a.html

Sep 28, 2012, 18:05

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: YOKOKIMTHURSTON

I really want to hear this. just once.

Sep 28, 2012, 19:22

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

meanchico wrote:

Maybe you will want to hear at a second time, after you hear it once.

Sep 28, 2012, 19:46

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I'm open to that.

Sep 28, 2012, 20:48

and0rod4
692 posts

you may even listen to it to death!
or will it always sound fresh?

Sep 28, 2012, 21:18

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

meanchico wrote:

I'm going to play it on my radio show tomorrow night, tune in.

Sep 28, 2012, 22:21

mikka000
1083 posts

i don't mind some SY (Sister and Washing Machine) and I'd be curious to hear this. But only curious.

Sep 30, 2012, 03:49