Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Woody Allen
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: Woody Allen

I do have a problem with the Soon-Ye thing. I mean, really, she was like 2 years old and he was in his 60's.

Sure, young chicks are hot and all but you gotta draw the line somewhere, Woody. . .

Cybele

Feb 02, 2009, 18:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

cybele wrote:
I do have a problem with the Soon-Ye thing. I mean, really, she was like 2 years old and he was in his 60's.

Sure, young chicks are hot and all but you gotta draw the line somewhere, Woody. . .

Cybele

It's a 35 year age difference. I know at least two couples with a 25 year age difference, so it's not that much of a stretch. And one of those couples met when the girl was 18, and they are happily married.

It may have been somewhat in poor taste for Allen to do that, but...

He was not married to Mia Farrow, and Previn was not his adopted daughter.

Feb 02, 2009, 18:15

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

love moves in very strange ways...

i just saw fassbinder's 'ali: fear eats the soul' last night and it touches on this very issue pretty strongly -- the whole cultural and generational line and how every once in a while there are people that cross them and somehow make it work. really compelling stuff...

Feb 02, 2009, 19:11

mikka000
1084 posts

agreed! when the enters the picture in vicky cristina barcelona, i just couldn't stop smiling. she's a delight!
i'm gay by the way so i've got no desire to tap her.

Feb 03, 2009, 01:15

Faust
Faust
44 posts

that's the only Fassbinder I've had the chance to see. I think I would've liked it more if it was in black and white, that might've covered up the cheapness somewhat and added some style, as it is it's like a tawdry German soap opera.

I prefer Wenders and Herzog.

Feb 03, 2009, 02:28

Machine is Bored With Love
Machine is Bored With Love
25 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

Zelig
Stardust Memories (one of my all-time favorites)
Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Hannah and Her Sisters

Stardust Memories is my all-time favorite movie! I tried to use a frame from the clip when he's doing performing the levitation trick as my avatar but my computer was being dumb so i didn't use it.

Feb 05, 2009, 23:58

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Machine is Bored With Love wrote:

Zelig
Stardust Memories (one of my all-time favorites)
Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
Hannah and Her Sisters

Stardust Memories is my all-time favorite movie! I tried to use a frame from the clip when he's doing performing the levitation trick as my avatar but my computer was being dumb so i didn't use it.

I love the scene where he's on the train, looking at the people on the other train.

And I love how the studio tries to change the ending of his film...Hilarious.

Feb 06, 2009, 17:18

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Woody AS the start

Me too. But mostly where he's the MAIN performer. He was in Scoop was it wasn't too funny.

The last one I really liked was the underappreciated Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Feb 09, 2009, 20:05

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

cybele wrote:

Cybele

It's a 35 year age difference. I know at least two couples with a 25 year age difference, so it's not that much of a stretch. And one of those couples met when the girl was 18, and they are happily married.

It may have been somewhat in poor taste for Allen to do that, but...

He was not married to Mia Farrow, and Previn was not his adopted daughter.

Didn't he raise her? Basically I thought she was his daughter, adopted or not. That's why it was such a big deal at the time. There are plenty of men with much younger women, as sexism in our society dictates that is ok, vs. women with younger men is not as ok. The main issue was that she was basically his daughter, at least from my memory of it. So that's just icky.

Feb 10, 2009, 04:47

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Didn't he raise her? Basically I thought she was his daughter, adopted or not. That's why it was such a big deal at the time. There are plenty of men with much younger women, as sexism in our society dictates that is ok, vs. women with younger men is not as ok. The main issue was that she was basically his daughter, at least from my memory of it. So that's just icky.

It was made into a big deal at the time, but apparently it wasn't. I did some research into it. Previn was Farrow's adopted daughter from a previous marriage. Allen was not married to Farrow and did not live with Farrow, and Previn was not his adopted daughter.

In spite of the fact that they did not live together and did not marry, they adopted two children together and had one biological child.

The story is that Farrow, angry because Allen was dating Previn, filed false child abuse charges against Allen for supposedly abusing one of the children they had adopted together, whose name was Dylan. The charges were later dropped.

Feb 10, 2009, 14:21

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index