Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Woody Allen
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Woody Allen

I'm now officially Woody Allen obsessed...

Not only do I own all of the films he either wrote or directed or acted in (exluding things like "Ants" where he lends his voice to a cartoon), I've started collecting things like his plays, books of humor, and recordings of his stand-up comedy routines.

Just found a good copy of his 1980 edition three-volume paperback set, "Side Effects/Without Feathers/Getting Even" in a slipcase for only 6.50 including shipping.

Has anyone heard his standup comedy? Some of the jokes are references to current events or people from 40 years ago that I jus don't get, but most of it really stands the test of time and is totally hilarious, especially "Down South" and "The Lost Generation."

Apr 09, 2009, 14:30

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Woody vs. American Apparel

interesting article:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04092009/news/nationalnews/chopping_woody_163627.htm

Apr 09, 2009, 16:16

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Re: Woody vs. American Apparel

I just saw this blurb about Woody Allens new film, playing in NYC this week...

FILM

Whatever Works
when: Friday June 19
where: Various locations

Long ago, Woody Allen owned up: his one regret in life was that he was not someone else. Yet, for the better half of his artistic practice, Allen capitalized on that misanthropic, life-is-meaningless persona. In Whatever Works, his latest surrogate is none other than Larry David, here a carping string theorist who dots every other phrase with the thinking man's epithet: "microbe." He maintains his high-and-mighty m.o., even after dimwitted Southern waif Evan Rachel Wood moves in and, against all scientific reason, falls for the bastard to entropic and farcical ends, of course. The filmmaker's return to a New York setting features some corned rehash (cf. '70s Woody), but there are plenty of hallmark one-liners, not to mention the charm of that irresistible Allen-David marquee

Jun 16, 2009, 18:26

MY RETURN
1963 posts

The new movie with Owen Wilson actually looks good. I'm going to have to see it now.

Jun 09, 2011, 19:49

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
love moves in very strange ways...

i just saw fassbinder's 'ali: fear eats the soul' last night and it touches on this very issue pretty strongly -- the whole cultural and generational line and how every once in a while there are people that cross them and somehow make it work. really compelling stuff...

That's an awesome film. I personally like Fassbinder's use of garish color. Reminds me of Argento. "Whity" is an insane Fassbinder flick. Oh, the colors!!

Anyway, 8 pages of posts, and no one mentioned "Broadway Danny Rose"!! It's his last hilarious film, IMHO, although not his last great film. That honor goes to Hannah.

Jun 10, 2011, 00:12

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Make that "Crimes & Misdemeanors".

Jun 10, 2011, 00:24

baseRelief
baseRelief
45 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
The other extreme of gravity is grace. I'm fond of Simone Weil's writings on the subject. She was no stranger to affliction.

Allen is an atheist, so for him there is no transcendence.

To rise above the gravity of hatred and greed does not require the belief of a supreme deity. Agreed, though, to experience transcendence one must have experience with gravity, in the context of what Weil meant by gravity. Grace is achieved when one's life is driven by compassion and the realization that joy does not depend on owning more riches or having more power over others; not when you believe in a heaven.

Jun 10, 2011, 02:02

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

It was okay. It played like a big tourism commercial but it wasn't bad.
It was full of dialogue such as:

Do you like Paris in the day?
Do you like Paris when it's raining?
Do you like Paris better at night?

Paris, Paris, Paris
I was ready to pack by the end of the film.
It was pretty good.

Jun 13, 2011, 00:13

postminimal
postminimal
280 posts

Hannah and Her Sisters
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Crimes and Misdemeanors

....all classics.

Jun 18, 2011, 05:23

The Greatest
The Greatest
309 posts

baseRelief wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
The other extreme of gravity is grace. I'm fond of Simone Weil's writings on the subject. She was no stranger to affliction.

Allen is an atheist, so for him there is no transcendence.

To rise above the gravity of hatred and greed does not require the belief of a supreme deity. Agreed, though, to experience transcendence one must have experience with gravity, in the context of what Weil meant by gravity. Grace is achieved when one's life is driven by compassion and the realization that joy does not depend on owning more riches or having more power over others; not when you believe in a heaven.

I agree that the intellectual concept of heaven is not a prerequisite for transcendence. To rise above hatred and greed is a triumph of the spirit, but it is not an experience of a transcendent Reality beyond/within the physical. Materialists and nihilists prevent themselves from having such experiences by making up their minds that all there is to the world is what the eye can see or the mind can prove.

Aug 01, 2011, 20:50

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index