Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
2012 Election Predictions?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: 2012 Election Predictions?

oooo oooo feel it feel it da da da da (house music)

Nov 02, 2012, 19:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Obamas been good to me. I wouldn't vote for him but he's given me all those democratic things trying to recruit me for his vote farm. Thanks.

Nov 02, 2012, 19:26

BOTE_
381 posts

Obama but it shouldn't be this close.

The Depression took over a decade. Half the count's stupid. They think it should have taken a few months. (facepalm)

Nov 02, 2012, 20:08

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Re: Obama but it shouldn't be this close.

BOTE_ wrote:
The Depression took over a decade. Half the count's stupid. They think it should have taken a few months. (facepalm)

What the hell are you even saying?

Nov 02, 2012, 22:27

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

The big thing for me is, who is going to make appointments to the Supreme Court? Between the two realistic choices, I trust Obama more in this respect. (I'm also totally partisan, I could never vote for a republican.)

Nov 03, 2012, 01:00

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Kazak wrote:
The big thing for me is, who is going to make appointments to the Supreme Court? Between the two realistic choices, I trust Obama more in this respect. (I'm also totally partisan, I could never vote for a republican.)

I always try to prove something to myself and make an honest effort to find a Republican that I can stand to vote for... but I'm usually unsuccessful.

Nov 03, 2012, 04:58

hito
hito
1745 posts

Democracy is a bad idea.

Having popular people appoint judges, voting for people to run complicated systems like economies, having personal lifestyle choices voted on by others, these are all stupid ideas.

The fact is that around the world, major parties have become so alike because:

a) they have to appeal to idiotic swinging voters, these are people who change their vote based on what's in it for them: "I own a house, a rental property, three cars, send my kids to a private school but I'm poor and need a tax cut"

b) as a seemingly contradictory thesis, governments know how to run things and so they agree to feed the war machine, trash the environment, kill the poor and subsidise the rich.

I think they pander to the people in "a" because they generally work hard and keep the machine running without too many questions. Governments know that throwing money at poor people is a waste of time because they are on the whole, lazy, ignorant and unlikely to provide a high yield for the public money investment.

As much as I like the idea of putting money into government schools, public transport and public hospitals, the fact is that many (but of course, not all) poor "customers" of these institutions (so championed by wealthy educated left leaning people) treat the facilities like crap. They smash the bus stop, disrupt classes, eat unhealthy food by choice, destroy their brains with idiotic TV and booze, punch the cops and generally don't give a damn about the philosophy behind these benevolent organisations.

Governments (of both "sides", in many western democracies) see this too and pretend to care for the poor but know they are wasting their time, especially because they value short term profits from mass consumption.

The only way this will change is by other "experts" bringing in a different paradigm. This cannot happen in democracy because too many people are well-served by this current system. Those poor people actually get a house, fast food and electronic entertainment despite their poverty and desire to smash the public toilet that was made for them to use. The middle and rich get all that and more, with many uneducated people drawing large salaries as tradesmen and middle management. The rich have never been richer and many people are very rich by 19th C standards

Democracy isn't the best way to bring about gay rights, environmentally sustainable living, intelligent people, the elimination of crime through the decriminalisation of drugs and more. It may happen but very slowly and painfully.

I know I am simply espousing my view of what I want in the way that any dictator does but ultimately, we live under the dictatorship of the masses now. What you are ultimately voting for is what we have now with a few different side serves.

Nov 03, 2012, 12:23

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Yeah Gary, the War on Women began with Mitt Romney, we all know that. Just go ask that little girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban I'm sure she blames "Mitt Romney".
Some people are so ungrateful for their standard of living and it's despicable and that goes for men, too. The war on women is an international human rights problem. Not some mild disturbance.

Nov 03, 2012, 17:29

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

hito wrote:
Democracy is a bad idea.

The most prosperous nations in human history are democracies.

Nov 03, 2012, 17:47

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I think our hito would like to be a dictator. ;)

An arrogant diatribe about these pesky poor people, who ruin democracy along with all the other people who just aren't expert enough to see their folly. Humans are such idiots, he says, why can't experts modeled after my own view run the world!

Nov 03, 2012, 18:35

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index