Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Lab songs that you don't particularly care for
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Lab songs that you don't particularly care for

She sounds bored in a genuinely boring way. The music is lively though. They seem to be restraining themselves to show respect for the old star but it is still excellent instrumentally. I was pleased I heard it because I was thinking of buying some of her albums based on reputation alone. I think it was money well saved.

Nov 13, 2012, 21:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

hito wrote:
The Greatest wrote:
jauntymonty wrote:
nsc283b wrote:
I agree. And Microbe Hunters.

I try to like MH, but is a jumble.

When MH first came out, just seemed like "more Cobra." Nothing to write home about.

But now, in comparison with their output since Margerine Eclipse, it's very good.

Comparing anything with their output since Margarine Eclipse is likely to increase its rating.

True, but at least CC has a consistent organized scheme as an album should. MH is a mix match lets try this I am lost and don't know it Not composition. Having said that though I rather listen to MH than CC or NM.

Nov 14, 2012, 05:25

motoroller
79 posts

That middle passage that repeats at the end of Calimero--which proper Lab song did they use that same passage for? It's bugging me. Anyone know offhand?

Nov 14, 2012, 15:30

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

uh...she's put out music for the better part of 40 yrs. why dismiss it all?

Brigitte Fontaine Est is magical. definitely the one to get.

Nov 14, 2012, 15:37

hito
hito
1745 posts

It's a tough world ;)

I may listen to it one day but for now, I feel no yearning.

Nov 14, 2012, 21:15

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2784 posts

I like the lazy way Brigitte sings Calimero, sounds cool, and I like the song a lot, it's cool. It's a cool cd single, I have it on cd single and maybe on vinyl too, don't remember.

Nov 14, 2012, 21:53

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

motoroller wrote:
That middle passage that repeats at the end of Calimero--which proper Lab song did they use that same passage for? It's bugging me. Anyone know offhand?

Not sure about an actual 'Lab song, but Time Gane definitely used that passage again on the La Vie D'Ariste OST. Can't remember the title though.

Nov 14, 2012, 22:06

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2784 posts

musicforeels wrote:
...but Time Gane definitely used that passage again...

Love that Time Gane fella.

Nov 14, 2012, 22:11

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

"Calimero" is a great track. Musically it is amongst my very favourite 'lab songs, and although I'm not really a huge fan of Bridgette Fontaine's own material I think her voice suits perfectly in this collaboration.

I also like the Super Furry Animals song of the same name, which coincidentally sounds quite a bit 'labbish (the riff seems very close to noise of carpet or something)?

Calimero by Super Furry Animals on Grooveshark

Some fun Calimero facts (from wikipedia)

Stereolab version:
The lyrics in French say "Je suis Caliméro, le vilain poussin noir"
("I'm Calimero, the naughty black chicken")

SFA version:
The lyrics in Welsh say "Calimero wyt ti'n gwisgo wy ar dy ben"
("Calimero you're wearing an egg on your head")

The slang nickname during the 1970s-1980s for military policemen in the Israeli Army was Calimero, due to their egg-shaped white helmet; the same was the case in Spain.

In the Netherlands and Belgium, the term "Calimero complex" is used to denote someone who thinks the world is against them because they are an underdog; often the character's lines from the show are cited, "They are big and I is [sic] small and that is not fair, oh no!" (translated back from the Dutch, with intentional error).[4] Similar in Slovenia word "Calimero" is still (~ 30 years after last national TV airing) used to call someone who thinks the world is against him because he is an underdog "He is such a Calimero" or "Don't be such a Calimero".

Nov 14, 2012, 22:28

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
musicforeels wrote:
...but Time Gane definitely used that passage again...

Love that Time Gane fella.

Yes, he makes everything older. Gotta love him. And my dreadful typing.

Nov 14, 2012, 23:02

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index