Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Alternatives to itunes
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Alternatives to itunes

Hi all,

I am trying to be a better person and buy digital music but I refuse to deal with itunes. The thought of giving any money to that memory sapping ubiquitous money bank sickens me. So, what are the alternatives?

Bleep is pretty good but limited and of course, I would prefer to buy directly from the artist but many don't sell directly.

So say I want to buy "another green world". Most MP3 sellers won't sell to Australia. Not Amazon, not CD Universe.

Any thoughts?

Nov 14, 2012, 21:02

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Re: Alternatives to itunes

Bandcamp.

Soundcloud.

Nov 15, 2012, 00:40

hito
hito
1745 posts

These are good but they tend to be newer and often less well known artists. I was looking at getting maybe older things or a more general collection where I can get Emeralds new release at the same time as buying Eno etc. I guess itunes has old new, big, small. Surely some worldwide company can rise up and challenge them.

Nov 15, 2012, 02:21

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

I've got an emusic subscription. The bit rates are sometimes rather low (sub-200 kbps), but the selection is pretty good, especially with old catalog stuff. I think the availability varies a bit country-by-country, but you may want to check it out.

Nov 15, 2012, 04:36

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

hito wrote:

So say I want to buy "another green world". Most MP3 sellers won't sell to Australia. Not Amazon, not CD Universe.

Any thoughts?

I think Australia must be a pretty shitty place, Dan...

Nov 15, 2012, 05:10

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:
I've got an emusic subscription. The bit rates are sometimes rather low (sub-200 kbps), but the selection is pretty good, especially with old catalog stuff. I think the availability varies a bit country-by-country, but you may want to check it out.

emusic canada has a grand total of ONE Lab albums available.

Nov 15, 2012, 05:51

hito
hito
1745 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:

rael wrote:
I think Australia must be a pretty shitty place, Dan...

emusic wrote:
We're sorry, eMusic is not available in your country.
We know everyone everywhere loves music and we want to bring the world of music to everyone. But we have to play by the rules and there are many when it comes to the global distribution of music.
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions we are unable to offer service in your country at this time. We understand that you are currently in Australia...

I don't know if it is Australia that is shitty or the companies. Regardless, the record companies are the losers as I won't buy their stuff and will have no choice but to steal it.

Nov 15, 2012, 06:17

revox
revox
800 posts

hito wrote:
I am trying to be a better person and buy digital music but I refuse to deal with itunes.

hito wrote:
Regardless, the record companies are the losers as I won't buy their stuff and will have no choice but to steal it.

hito wrote:
Any thoughts?

I've found some of your posts to be observant and suggestive of a global awareness but you're basically asking permission to be - or continue justification for being - a common thief.

My thoughts are that you either steal from the artistes, and become little better than itunes supposedly is, or do without and enjoy what your 'ethical' choice of lifestyle genuinely entitles you to.

~8^|>

Nov 15, 2012, 10:36

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

I understand why people don't like Apple, but what's all the beef with iTunes? I really like the format and how it allows me to organize my music.

Nov 15, 2012, 15:37

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

shito wrote:
I won't buy their stuff and will have no choice but to steal it.

No, you have a choice, no one is forcing you to steal anything. That's just a cop out for you being a thief.

Nov 15, 2012, 21:22

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index