Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Alternatives to itunes
57 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Alternatives to itunes

cyberpainter wrote:
Of course it's not only illegal but it rips off the artist. We all do it. I don't try to justify it though. If you have no way of buying mp3s in Australia besides itunes, that really sucks! Why is it like that there, I don't get it? But why are you so against buying from itunes if you have no other options? Because they're a corporation? So are many of the record companies! If you're saying that they rip off the artists, so then I will just take from the artist instead... That doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like the choices are frustrating. I suppose you could always just continue to buy used CDs when you find good prices and rip them, if you hate itunes so much.

deadlyfingers wrote:
hito wrote:

Regardless, the record companies are the losers as I won't buy their stuff and will have no choice but to steal it.

I'm with your attitude. If a company doesn't want to sell me their product, or if they just don't think it's worth it to... let's say, re-issue Holger Czukay's "Der Osten Ist Rot" - then I'm gonna go out and steal it, and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

As for iTunes & Apple, I don't trust them. DRM is bullshit, and any company that would even consider secretly infecting their customers with malware is fucking evil.

(btw - Amazon sells DRM-free mp3s, not sure if that very important point has been covered yet)

To answer you both,

Thanks deadlyfingers. I never even knew about itunes selling with DRM because I didn't know it had become the reality I feared.

"DRM gives media and technology companies the ultimate control over every aspect of what people can do with their media: where they can use it, on what devices, using what apps, for how long, and any other conditions the retailer wants to set. Digital media has many advantages over traditional analog media, but DRM attempts to make every possible use of digital goods something that must be granted permission for. This concentrates all power over the distribution of media into the hands of a few companies. For example, DRM gives ebook sellers the power to remotely delete all copies of a book, to keep track of what books readers are interested in and, with some software, even what notes they take in their books."

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_management

It gives me another reason to avoid them.

Sadly, I cannot access Amazon. Why Australia is different I assume is to do with our copyright laws. According to one site, it is because the laws relate to selling locally manufactured or legally obtained material.

Australia - with good intentions - tries to protect its artists by preventing cheap imports. It seems like things need to change for the digital age.

Contrary to a number of suggestions, I have no idea how itunes pay artists but I assume from your response cyberpainter that it is reputedly poor. This doesn't surprise me as that is what near monopolies do. They end up treating everyone else (customers, creators, financial institutions) with disdain until the power is eventually wrested from them.

In the end, I am a ball of contradictions but I'm trying to be good, hence starting the thread. I don't avoid all mega corporations but I try to.

Nov 16, 2012, 21:10

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: