Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Should Mary have a ghost bike in her memory?
14 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

warrenh
4 posts

Should Mary have a ghost bike in her memory?

I've been wondering if the tenth anniversary of Mary Hansen's death (in two days' time, on Sunday) should be a nudge to do something to mark it in some way.

Over the last 2-3 years, placing a painted-white 'ghost bike' at the scene of the incident has become a recognised way of marking a cyclist's death in London (and other places, of course). It's partly about remembering the person, and partly about making visible the danger to cyclists, as people (including me) campaign for proper, safe facilities for cycling in the city.

I tweeted about this (https://twitter.com/warrenhatter/status/276789809404588032) and got a few RTs, but this board seems the best place to:
1) ask if this would be appropriate; and, if it it,
2) ask who might be willing to be involved (find out the site, then procure, prepare and install bike) over the next few weeks/months.

Who am I? London resident. Stereolab and cycling are two of the four most important things in my life (family and my football team being the others).

Dec 07, 2012, 11:19