Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Guns
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Guns

dominickblack wrote:
Aw! How cute! You're all cute little victims waiting to be plucked.
teehee?

What does this mean?

Dec 18, 2012, 20:15

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

It is a rather compelling argument though. The mental dweeb would not have entered the school if the teachers and pupils had guns!!

There is no proof of that.

It's not a compelling argument, as there would be way more chance of the gun getting in the wrong hands. If every school had guns, are you really saying maybe they would be safer? Think of how many thousands of guns that would be.

Also, we can't get into the mind of a person who is not rational and anticipate what he would or would not do. If we think we can see into his head, perhaps we could also see if he goes into a school with the intent to kill he might know full well what what the outcome for himself is likely to be, as far as the police getting him. If he was concerned about his own safety, would he do this act?

Dec 18, 2012, 20:25

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/13/nra-weakened-gun-control-laws

Dec 18, 2012, 21:44

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

It is a rather compelling argument though. The mental dweeb would not have entered the school if the teachers and pupils had guns!!

There is no proof of that.

It's not a compelling argument, as there would be way more chance of the gun getting in the wrong hands. If every school had guns, are you really saying maybe they would be safer? Think of how many thousands of guns that would be.

Also, we can't get into the mind of a person who is not rational and anticipate what he would or would not do. If we think we can see into his head, perhaps we could also see if he goes into a school with the intent to kill he might know full well what what the outcome for himself is likely to be, as far as the police getting him. If he was concerned about his own safety, would he do this act?

So, you think the shooter would still have gone to the school knowing the teachers and pupils would be armed?

Dec 18, 2012, 21:53

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
So, you think the shooter would still have gone to the school knowing the teachers and pupils would be armed?

I would be afraid to pick up my kid from an elementary school where there are gun-toting pupils!

The US needs to institute laws like those in Canada (or perhaps Australia, though not as familiar with them). Pandora's Box is firmly jammed open as regards to the gun culture, but there is simply no explanation for why anything more lethal than a .22 rifle needs to be bought by any citizen for any reason.

Dec 18, 2012, 23:04

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

wracket wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

I would be afraid to pick up my kid from an elementary school where there are gun-toting pupils!

The US needs to institute laws like those in Canada (or perhaps Australia, though not as familiar with them). Pandora's Box is firmly jammed open as regards to the gun culture, but there is simply no explanation for why anything more lethal than a .22 rifle needs to be bought by any citizen for any reason.

Indeed. I'd never send my kids to a school like that.

I'm afraid that the gun culture in the USA is too ingrained to see real change any time soon. People either love guns and the peace of mind they afford, or they are libertarians defending people's constitutional rights to bear arms. Very tricky!

Bizarrely, I'm not even sure guns are the real problem here. For whatever reason these outcast loonies feel the need to got out with a bang, with each event seemingly inspiring a later equally outrageous event. I'm not even sure 'gun control' would prevent these heinous acts.

Dec 19, 2012, 00:38

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
wracket wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

I'm afraid that the gun culture in the USA is too ingrained to see real change any time soon. People either love guns and the peace of mind they afford, or they are libertarians defending people's constitutional rights to bear arms. Very tricky!

Bizarrely, I'm not even sure guns are the real problem here. For whatever reason these outcast loonies feel the need to got out with a bang, with each event seemingly inspiring a later equally outrageous event. I'm not even sure 'gun control' would prevent these heinous acts.

There was a heinous school massacre in Scotland in the 90's, with very strict gun control enacted soon after that. I believe you can't even own a handgun, is that correct? Do you think it had any effect there? I doubt you had the "gun culture" there to begin with...

Dec 19, 2012, 03:43

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

mikka000 wrote:
I don't feel the need to own a gun at all. I have no problem with highly controlled and regulated gun ownership like we have in Australia so people can shoot for sport. As a result, we have low amount of gun-related deaths compared to the US.

I remember reading an article years ago about how a mass shooting by some crazy-ass surfer in your country spurred an almost overnight change in public opinion about gun control. Perhaps naively I hope that moment is finally here for us in the U.S.
I'm in a similar boat to to Mu Mu in that parts of my city are extremely violent, and my job takes me right to the front lines of some of the worst shootings. I see way to much of that stuff, and would never own a weapon. I think we've already tried the whole "more guns will make us safer" experiment; didn't work out so well.
Cyber has a good point. We go overboard on just about every other aspect of our safety except for guns.

Dec 19, 2012, 06:40

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
wracket wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:

There was a heinous school massacre in Scotland in the 90's, with very strict gun control enacted soon after that. I believe you can't even own a handgun, is that correct? Do you think it had any effect there? I doubt you had the "gun culture" there to begin with...

I really don't know what our gun laws are. But you are right, we don't have a gun culture as such. I remember my dad owning a rifle type thing in the early 80s and he handed it in to the local police station during an amnesty. There used to be a Rifle Club in my home town but it closed a long time ago. It's only really farmers I can think of that keep guns.

I'm sure that guns can be bought if you know the right kind of folks so I am sure that another 'Dunblane' could happen.

Dec 19, 2012, 08:09

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

GaryB2 wrote:

Well, that is only one part of america though, so we could see some movement toward change. There's a huge amount of people who do not own guns and are against the NRA's influence. Whether this horrible event prompts real change we'll have to see.

Dec 19, 2012, 08:33

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index