Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Guns
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Re: Guns





Dec 19, 2012, 18:02


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Guns

"Doctor Doctor can't you see I'm burning burning? Doctor doctor can't you see I'm burning?"
Fires and medical malpractice have higher mortality rates in the US. US doesn't even rate in the top ten in firearm deaths. It's around Switzerland. Let me know when you find Utopia, please. I'm an idealist , also.

Dec 19, 2012, 18:40


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Re: Guns

Safe rooms are the answer. Wired glass at exterior entrances as well.

The gun culture is so well embedded within american society outlawing guns is a long way off, perhaps as the older (those that set the example) generations die out. Legislation to limit the type of gun available to a .22 caliber for self defence would help. As the worn out saying goes, no matter what you do, guns will be traded on the black market.

Dec 19, 2012, 18:41


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Re: Guns

wracket wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
So, you think the shooter would still have gone to the school knowing the teachers and pupils would be armed?

I would be afraid to pick up my kid from an elementary school where there are gun-toting pupils!

The US needs to institute laws like those in Canada (or perhaps Australia, though not as familiar with them). Pandora's Box is firmly jammed open as regards to the gun culture, but there is simply no explanation for why anything more lethal than a .22 rifle needs to be bought by any citizen for any reason.


absolutely.

Dec 19, 2012, 18:43


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Re: Guns

wracket wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
So, you think the shooter would still have gone to the school knowing the teachers and pupils would be armed?

I would be afraid to pick up my kid from an elementary school where there are gun-toting pupils!

The US needs to institute laws like those in Canada (or perhaps Australia, though not as familiar with them). Pandora's Box is firmly jammed open as regards to the gun culture, but there is simply no explanation for why anything more lethal than a .22 rifle needs to be bought by any citizen for any reason.


You'll need to explain what .22 means for us Brits :)

Dec 19, 2012, 22:48


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cat500
1 posts

Re: Guns

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)

Dec 20, 2012, 10:25


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5935 posts

Re: Guns

Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)


Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.

Dec 20, 2012, 20:39


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1427 posts

Re: Guns

cyberpainter wrote:
Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)


Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.


Wasn't (s)he just responding to slushy's bogus claim about US and Switzerland being roughly on par in such metrics?

Dec 20, 2012, 23:24


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

BOTE_
381 posts

TX REP: Ping-pongs deadlier.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/texas-lawmaker-ping-pongs-deadlier-guns-211551404--politics.html

Incoming Texas State Rep. Kyle Kacal says guns don’t kill people—ping-pong kills people

"I've heard of people being killed playing ping-pong—ping-pongs are more dangerous than guns," he says. "Flat-screen TVs are injuring more kids today than anything."

...The lifetime rancher, who will take his seat in 2013 as a freshman, says that new gun restrictions are unnecessary. Kacal, who reportedly operates a hunting business, notably came out against a bill instructing Texans how to secure their assault weapons.

Dec 21, 2012, 00:13


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

Re: Guns

cyberpainter wrote:
Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)


Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.


I don't think anywhere compares to America for gun violence, save for possibly South Africa. Or Afghanistan.

Dec 21, 2012, 00:26

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index