Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Guns
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1905 posts

Re: Guns

GaryB2 wrote:
[quote="cyberpainter"]
I don't think anywhere compares to America for gun violence, save for possibly South Africa. Or Afghanistan.

Guatemala is much much worse than the U.S

Dec 21, 2012, 00:34

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

GaryB2 wrote:

I don't think anywhere compares to America for gun violence, save for possibly South Africa. Or Afghanistan.

That is a very good point. It would be interesting to see the statistics relating rates of gun violence with levels of economic inequality. I'd guess that there is some correlation.

Dec 21, 2012, 02:32

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5935 posts

wracket wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)

Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.

Wasn't (s)he just responding to slushy's bogus claim about US and Switzerland being roughly on par in such metrics?

Ah, ok, I skim over some posts... There are arguments out there that the Swiss have more guns but less gun deaths.

Dec 21, 2012, 04:19

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Cat500 wrote:
Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (inc suicide)
US = 10.2 (World Ranking 10)
Switzerland = 3.5 (World Ranking 21)

Firearm related deaths per 100,000 (Homicide only)
US = 3.7 (World Ranking 14)
Switzerland = 0.52 (World Ranking 31)

Switzerland doesn't have an army. Therefore, their system isn't comparable. They also have a very high standard of living and crime is low. The number of people in Switzerland is so low it's like one large city. Again, not comparable.

My understanding is rather limited, but what I do know about the Swiss military is that they are a special case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland
Though the state has a tradition of military neutrality, they are a bunch of paranoid muthafuckas who require every adult male to be armed and ready to defend the country in the unlikely event that someone tries to invade their useless pile of rocks or steal their clock-making technology... In other words: the rate of gun ownership in Switzerland is always misleading, since their unique system of mandatory miltary service requires an awful lot of folks to keep guns in their homes.

Dec 21, 2012, 07:11

GaryB2
GaryB2
2328 posts

matthew6 wrote:
GaryB2 wrote:
[quote="cyberpainter"]

Guatemala is much much worse than the U.S

I'll take your word for that. That's hardly a ringing endorsement for the US's liberal gun laws though!

Dec 21, 2012, 12:36

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Here's a league table with El Salvador and Jamaica topping the charts. Does not show the various influences that influence these things - drug cartels, political unrest, gun laws etc. but very interesting. I would say US (with few gin laws) far too high and UK (stringent gun laws) good and low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Dec 21, 2012, 13:15

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
Here's a league table with El Salvador and Jamaica topping the charts. Does not show the various influences that influence these things - drug cartels, political unrest, gun laws etc. but very interesting. I would say US (with few gin laws) far too high and UK (stringent gun laws) good and low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Ha ha - Typo: 'gin laws' that must be where the real problem lies.

Dec 21, 2012, 13:17

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I was misinformed.

Dec 21, 2012, 19:13

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Switzerland does have an army. They guard Vatican City.

Dec 21, 2012, 19:15

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I tend to skim rhetorical posts, myself.

Dec 21, 2012, 19:18

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index